Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XP networking problem- any suggestions welcome!  (Read 418 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
XP networking problem- any suggestions welcome!
« on: 17 February 2009, 13:37:19 »

I can only have a dial up connection where I live.

I have two PC's networked. The main one runs XP Pro and connects to the Internet fine (well as fine as a dial up connection can be). The slave runs XP Home and connects via the main using a crossover cable, cards and network setup using the Microsoft wizard.  The problem I find is that the slave connects and works very slowly on Internet pages.  I am using IE6 on the slave and Mozilla Firefox on the main.

Is it an XP firewall issue between the two PC's? I also wonder if something (maybe Microsoft ) is hogging what little bandwidth there is trying to look at the PC to do an update. Are there any tools on XP Home that I can use to see what is happening?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Oh and I sometimes get Microsoft error messages on the slave saying stuff like RDL27.tmp has encountered a problem and needs to close.

varche

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Welung666

Re: XP networking problem- any suggestions welcome!
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2009, 13:42:24 »

Sounds like it needs fine tuning...

... with a size 12!

Sriously though, running it through the main pc will slow the connection on the second. Also depends on the network duplex speed to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.