Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scrappage  (Read 884 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Scrappage
« on: 27 February 2009, 10:38:03 »

I can't help wonder at the sense in these government schemes to pay people (in Germany approx 2,000 euros) to scrap their car when they buy a new one. One in seven Germans work in the car industry! Apparently the UK is thinking about introducing this too.

Surely it would be better to reduce car production and keep the old car running a bit longer? Out of interest what actually happens to the old car being scrapped? Is it broken for parts (recycling) or deliberately obliterated and converted into ingots of metal etc?

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Scrappage
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2009, 10:43:06 »

Maybe a hidden agenda here!
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2009, 11:13:54 »

Consdiering that it takes more energy to build a car than it will use in its entire lifetime it makes more sense for policies to encourage maximum usage of a vehicle before disposal.  :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2009, 11:58:13 »

Surely it would be better to reduce car production and keep the old car running a bit longer? Out of interest what actually happens to the old car being scrapped? Is it broken for parts (recycling) or deliberately obliterated and converted into ingots of metal etc?

varche

Our government have got the first part of that plan down to a tee. ;D

I would imagine the scrappage money is on the condition that you buy some POS sit-up-and-beg Smart with Zero CO2 emissions ('cos it's always broken) in exchange for your Omega. I'm sure you'd have to buy it  brand new and, for most people, no doubt on credit.

So, it's a policy that encourages people to throw away stuff before it gets to the end of its' useful life and go into debt to buy overpriced sh1te they don't need instead. Can anyone see where this one's going to lead?  ::)

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2009, 12:16:26 »

not to mention get more and more into debt - and guess where that will lead when interest rates start to rise again..

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2009, 19:26:17 »

makes me laugh every time i hear about it!!!
with all vehicle manufacturers going to be responsible for end of life vehicles in the near future(the ones they make not others) and the state of the car industry sales at present with new car sales so far down as they cant go any lower you would think they would see the light and use their vast resources for making sure they have ample and cheap stocks of spare parts to keep all their products on the road !!! thereby keeping a share of the market!!!
or is that too sensible???? :y

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2009, 19:29:58 »

makes me laugh every time i hear about it!!!
with all vehicle manufacturers going to be responsible for end of life vehicles in the near future(the ones they make not others) and the state of the car industry sales at present with new car sales so far down as they cant go any lower you would think they would see the light and use their vast resources for making sure they have ample and cheap stocks of spare parts to keep all their products on the road !!! thereby keeping a share of the market!!!
or is that too sensible???? :y

So who will be responsible for my rover .... with a radiator with a PLASTIC TOP!!! that i managed to snap ... would love to have someone to blame 8-)
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

HolyCount

« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2009, 22:13:32 »

varche

Our government have got the first part of that plan down to a tee. ;D

I would imagine the scrappage money is on the condition that you buy some POS sit-up-and-beg Smart with Zero CO2 emissions ('cos it's always broken) in exchange for your Omega. I'm sure you'd have to buy it  brand new and, for most people, no doubt on credit.

So, it's a policy that encourages people to throw away stuff before it gets to the end of its' useful life and go into debt to buy overpriced sh1te they don't need instead. Can anyone see where this one's going to lead?  ::)

Kevin

Aren't we already there ???

dieseldean

• Omega Knight
  • chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2009, 22:18:18 »

governments bright idea of job-creation again

bertiecbx550

« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2009, 22:54:57 »

How would these schemes work with say peolple on low income wages who rely on 2nd hand or even 3rd hand cars to get around.I mean i would love a new motor but it aint gonna happen for years yet so the 2nd hand market will always be my choice..... :-/

immx

• Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2009, 22:58:54 »

How would these schemes work with say peolple on low income wages who rely on 2nd hand or even 3rd hand cars to get around.I mean i would love a new motor but it aint gonna happen for years yet so the 2nd hand market will always be my choice..... :-/

I'm the 7th owner of mine!!!!! ;D

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2009, 23:58:21 »

I'm the 7th owner of mine!!!!! ;D

But just think of the car you get for your money, compared to new, or even nearly new.  Mind there does seem to be some good deals out there if you can afford around the 2 - 4k mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.