Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1500 miles with the Big Turnip  (Read 2194 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
1500 miles with the Big Turnip
« on: 11 June 2017, 22:44:27 »

I may have only had the Swede 10 days, but I've already added nearly 1500 miles to the clocks so I thought I'm in a decent position to offer an update/initial opinion.

Things I like
- the seats, probably the best I've ever sat in, longest journey I've done so far is just under 200 miles and I've never never had so much as a twinge from my back. Infinitely superior to the CDX seats and imho slightly better than the elite seats- although I've not done more than about 20miles in elite seats, so perhaps a bit premature.

- the economy, 38-40 on short runs is nothing to write home about, but at sensible motorway speeds (70-80), 47-50 is the norm.

- big fuel tank, 750 miles before I have to queue up behind the cretins putting £3.24p worth of diesel into their Japanese Tupperware boxes

- controls - everything, and I mean everything is incredibly intuitive, cruise, radio, everything just works and it's obvious how it all works

- stereo -  it's an 11 speaker, 2 amp, Dolby pro logic thing and (in cd or USB mode) easily lives with the £1,000 Harmon Kardon system that I had in the 1 series. I've never heard an omega Bose unit so can't compare.

- brakes - like the omega, they're powerful but not in the overly-assisted, wooden way  of some modern cars.

- boot divider- only a small thing, but it's an adjustable band of material that stops your one bag from distributing its contents all over the boot. I don't know why every saloon car doesn't have one.

things I don't like
- diesel noise. The car sounds like it's broken, all the time - a necessary evil though ::). Until I become as wealthy as lord opti anyway  ;D

- folding mirrors - it's great it has them, but they're on a switch on the dash, even worse they cut off with the ignition, so you stop the car, switch off and then remember you want to fold them and have to switch the bigger back on again.

- rear visibility - I've already ordered a sensor kit, cause I have no idea where the back end is!

- turning circle - hugely inferior to the omega, and wouldnt embarrass an ocean liner!

- front tyres - they're brand new, black and round. Beyond that they have no redeeming features. Thankfully I'll chew through them in about 6 months and can swap them out.

Overall I'm hugely happy with the car, and imho it compares favourably with the much newer mondeos, insignias etc which I looked at for similar money.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 1500 miles with the Big Turnip
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2017, 09:08:24 »

Great report, our of interested how short are your short runs?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2017, 09:50:28 »

I've classed "short" as anything under about 5-6miles, basically anything where the engine spends as much time (or more) cold than it does hot. I try to always keep the car "off boost" until its warm, particularly as I can't find in the receipts what brand of oil was used at the last service.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2017, 11:12:03 »

I've classed "short" as anything under about 5-6miles, basically anything where the engine spends as much time (or more) cold than it does hot. I try to always keep the car "off boost" until its warm, particularly as I can't find in the receipts what brand of oil was used at the last service.

That's good for very short runs  :y

Useful to know, as you will have heard a Euro III V70 is on my list.  :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2017, 17:09:36 »

Yup, and although I haven't done any work on mine yet (other than visual inspection for leaks and perished hoses) I can see it should be easy to work on. Access to the timing belt looks a bit tight, as on all transverse engines, but there's a gernerous access hatch in the drivers' front wheel arch.

I particularly like that the oil filter (paper type in a plastic housing) is accessed from the top of the engine. So I should no longer get hot oil down my arms when doing the changes  :).

One thing to bear in mind with these is that the autos need their fluid changing every 40-50k and most people don't bother as Volvo used to say they were sealed for life. If you're looking at an auto with over 60k on the clock I'd budget for a gearbox rebuild unless it's had the oil changes.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2017, 17:13:12 »

Its after you've used the car for a fair bit you get a real feel for what you really like, and what are those little things, seemingly minor, that really piss you off ;D

Good report, glad its working out for you :y
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2017, 17:32:20 »

Its after you've used the car for a fair bit you get a real feel for what you really like, and what are those little things, seemingly minor, that really piss you off ;D

Yes, I noticed that the climate sensors in my BMW are just above the cup holders.  Put a cup of coffee in the holder and the A/C starts kicking out cold air, which is a PITA in the winter!  :o  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2017, 17:37:25 »

Yes, I noticed that the climate sensors in my BMW are just above the cup holders.  Put a cup of coffee in the holder and the A/C starts kicking out cold air, which is a PITA in the winter!  :o  ;D
Now that really did make me chuckle ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.