Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vivaro Cambelt  (Read 1689 times)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Vivaro Cambelt
« on: 22 October 2019, 13:58:41 »

Hello fine people of OOF. I'm struggling with a cambelt and could do with some help.

This is the F9Q Renault engine, 760 variant if that makes any difference.

Right on to the story...
Remove cambelt cover. I can only see one timing mark on the camshaft as the crankshaft one is behind the outer pulley and I can't turn the engine without the pulley being on.
I line up the camshaft to the mark, take the outer crankshaft pulley off and find the mark is not at the 6 o'clock position as I would expect, but is at about 25 minutes past.
At this point I do what all men do, I picked up the instructions that came with the belt kit.
I learn there is a locked hole near the flywheel to align the crank. I lock the crank with a pin. The crankshaft pulley marks are still at 25 past. I continue going through the instructions. It says that the crankshaft pulley should be at an offset, but it should be at 25 to and not 25 past.

I'm at the point were it's either the instructions that are wrong, or this engine has been timed up wrong previously.

Has anyone done one of these before? And ideally knows if it should be 25 to or 25 past.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Vivaro Cambelt
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2019, 14:29:42 »

I'm at the point were it's either the instructions that are wrong, or this engine has been timed up wrong previously.

I've never worked on this engine, but I cannot imagine that an engine timed up that far out (25 to vs 25 past is a 60 degree difference!) would actually run. If the engine was a good runner before it was stripped down, can you not just lock the crank and the cam and change the belt?

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2019, 14:48:34 »

I've never worked on this engine, but I cannot imagine that an engine timed up that far out (25 to vs 25 past is a 60 degree difference!) would actually run. If the engine was a good runner before it was stripped down, can you not just lock the crank and the cam and change the belt?

Well yes, normally I would. However, this is not the same engine I took out of the van. This is another engine and I don't know if it was right or wrong before. I can't even refer to the original engine for guidance, as it doesn't turn over, IE it's locked with about 90 degree of movement in total.

Thanks for the suggestion.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2019, 15:52:48 »

I would consult aunty Google., and then oootube :y
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2019, 18:31:17 »

sounds similar to the astra 1.7cdti
that belt won't line up all the time, you have to rotate the engine several times before all the marks line up
(to lock crank,cam and hp pump )
just a thought  ???

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2019, 09:42:47 »

Hello fine people of OOF. I'm struggling with a cambelt and could do with some help.

Right on to the story...
Remove cambelt cover. I can only see one timing mark on the camshaft as the crankshaft one is behind the outer pulley and I can't turn the engine without the pulley being on.
I line up the camshaft to the mark, take the outer crankshaft pulley off and find the mark is not at the 6 o'clock position as I would expect, but is at about 25 minutes past.
At this point I do what all men do, I picked up the instructions that came with the belt kit.
I learn there is a locked hole near the flywheel to align the crank. I lock the crank with a pin. The crankshaft pulley marks are still at 25 past. I continue going through the instructions. It says that the crankshaft pulley should be at an offset, but it should be at 25 to and not 25 past.

Has anyone done one of these before? And ideally knows if it should be 25 to or 25 past.

What age van,I'll check auto data :y

Just double checked and crank is at 25 to,if you pm your email address I'll send you pics and instructions from Autodata
« Last Edit: 23 October 2019, 09:50:13 by henryd »
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2019, 11:55:08 »

Right on to the story...

Just double checked and crank is at 25 to,if you pm your email address I'll send you pics and instructions from Autodata

You sir, are a legend. Thanks. PM Incoming.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2019, 14:14:07 »

Right on to the story...

You sir, are a legend. Thanks. PM Incoming.

And replied,email sent too :y :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.