Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: i should really put the decent tyres on the back!  (Read 2467 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
i should really put the decent tyres on the back!
« on: 02 July 2007, 19:18:29 »

Took the Senator for a blast, first long run since the new exhaust and water pump went on. It gulped a load of water about 5 miles or so, after that stayed the same  :)

More good news is the new zorst is working well, much less engine noise when cold. Picks up better 45 ish to 80 too  :D

It had been raining, so the road was wet, pulling away on a dual carriageway already doing 40mph or so, decided to hit the Sport button and leave that pesky van behind, that was up my ass.

The back end started to wriggle and had some serious loss of traction, I was not accelerating!  ;D -  Backed off the gas, it stopped wriggling side to side, and then managed to pull away. The road was only slightly damp, i must put the Dunlops on the rear, and put the 'Regal Sport's on the front!
« Last Edit: 02 July 2007, 19:19:53 by tunnie »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: i should really put the decent tyres on the ba
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2007, 19:25:47 »

Hell Yeah !! Even better put decent rubber on every corner  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2007, 19:28:10 »

Hell Yeah !! Even better put decent rubber on every corner  :y

that would be the smart thing to do, but even the budget dunlops were half the value of the car, the 'Regal' tyres are brand new, and plenty of tread left.

Money is too tight for that as well.

Ahhh well makes for entertaining handling  :D

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2007, 19:58:23 »

Lucky it hasn't got an LSD ;) (Mine has.................so much fun ;) ;))
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2007, 19:59:26 »

Depends if you prefer oversteer or understeer I guess?

How does it handle when cornering if balanced on the power and not being provoked?

If the back end tends to break away I'd be inclined to swap them. If it corners fairly neutral I'd leave it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2007, 20:18:49 »

Lucky it hasn't got an LSD ;) (Mine has.................so much fun ;) ;))

It does have an LSD, all 24v Senators did.

Kev - Not had a chance to push it through the twisties, last time i did, the front went very light.

I think with a big powerful RWD car, best rubber is due on the back.

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2007, 20:23:06 »

:-[ :-[ Oooooooppppppppssssssssss
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2007, 20:25:54 »

:-[ :-[ Oooooooppppppppssssssssss

One of the ways the Omega was a step back, LSD only on some police spec. Also no dip stick for the gearbox fluid!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2007, 20:26:36 »

Depends if you prefer oversteer or understeer I guess?

How does it handle when cornering if balanced on the power and not being provoked?

If the back end tends to break away I'd be inclined to swap them. If it corners fairly neutral I'd leave it.

Kevin
Even on sweeping bends, Tunnies has a tendency to want to break away from the rear. Apparently ::). So best on rear I reckon...
Grumpy old man

fuz1903

• Bedfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2007, 21:40:48 »

Got Dunlop SP9000 all 4 corners on my MV6 handles great in most weather ;D back starts to step out only when very light rain on previous dry road. Unless pushed hard in the wet. Dry traction great :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2007, 21:42:34 »

Got Dunlop SP9000 all 4 corners on my MV6 handles great in most weather ;D back starts to step out only when very light rain on previous dry road. Unless pushed hard in the wet. Dry traction great :y
Yup, use SP9000 on my MV6...
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2007, 22:56:31 »

Standard tyre manufacturers recommendations are, surprisingly, best tyres on the front, irrespective of FWD or RWD.

However on the Senny, it was reversed as it has a tendancy to bite and bite very quickly if and when the rear end breaks away.......

Take care, young man.  Side impact protection levels are not the best on this, a design virtually the same age as the yoof driving it.....

:y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 July 2007, 23:09:22 »

Standard tyre manufacturers recommendations are, surprisingly, best tyres on the front, irrespective of FWD or RWD.

However on the Senny, it was reversed as it has a tendancy to bite and bite very quickly if and when the rear end breaks away.......

Take care, young man.  Side impact protection levels are not the best on this, a design virtually the same age as the yoof driving it.....

:y

Will do, I have already spun it in the wet. That was at 1am and I was being too cocky, glad I did spin it. Made be take it easy in the wet, however I was again surprised to find such a large wiggle when going in straight line!

I was in a perfect straight line, press the sport button and whey hey that back end was all over the place. Bit like looney at the footie!  ;)  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 July 2007, 23:18:17 »

LSD probably doesn't help under power either. It will cause the rear end to break away if pushed too hard rather than a relatively benign inner wheel spin. Probably why VX dropped it as standard fitment once traction control was standard.

Fitted one to the kit car about 18 months ago and it now demands a lot more respect when negotiating roundabouts in the wet. Much improved traction in the dry though. With the levels of side impact protection a Westfield offers it pays to experiment with these things off the public roads with plenty of runoff area :o  :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2007, 01:36:56 »

It does have an LSD, all 24v Senators did.

Oh no they didn't!! Who told you that? Whoever it was, shoot them!!  ;)

An LSD was only slightly less rare on a civvy spec' Senny than it was on an equivelant/similarly spec'd Omega.

The problem with the 'slippys' on a Senny/Carlton (etc) is that they're not as easily identifiable as a 'normal' LSD. On a normal 'Positraction' diff', if you jack the rear of the car off the ground and turned one of the driven wheels with the transmission in neutral, the other should turn in the same direction of motion. The Senny diff', (for want of any explanation!), didn't.

Basically, to identify a Senny/Carlton(and I guess Omega), LSD, with the driven wheels off the ground, turn the propshaft. If the driven wheels turn the same degrees in the same direction, then it's an LSD. If it doesn't or turns the other way, then it isn't.

Alternatively, try to light the tail up on a bend. If you get smoke from one tyre then it's not an LSD! otherwise, try the tests detailed above. (It might be that the 'limited' bit has passed it's sell by date!!  ;D )

I only ever owned one Sentor with an LSD, but never got the pleasure of driving it!  ::) However, the NON-LSD Senny's I did drive, were much like Omegas in that they were very predictable and controllable in 'breaking' and could be pulled back into shape without too much trauma.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2007, 01:44:59 by Big_Rod »
If I have to explain you won't understand!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.