Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RESULT!  (Read 1982 times)

Owen

• Intermediate Member
  • Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: RESULT!
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2007, 23:12:10 »

I hate to dampen your spirits too much, but secondhand tyres are like a time bomb. You do not know what they have been through. if the car has been a write off it could have been a serious smash in which case the tyres will have excess stress on the sidewalls. Potentially lethal, which is why the tyres are illegal in monst of europe, except UK (who import all the european ones too). Ok if you are just doping 60mph tops, but i suspect with bridgestone, you may be tempted to do a little more. 69.8 perhaps????

Be careful with used tyres!

I know your right, but needs must mate

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2007, 23:17:26 »

I hate to dampen your spirits too much, but secondhand tyres are like a time bomb. You do not know what they have been through. if the car has been a write off it could have been a serious smash in which case the tyres will have excess stress on the sidewalls. Potentially lethal, which is why the tyres are illegal in monst of europe, except UK (who import all the european ones too). Ok if you are just doping 60mph tops, but i suspect with bridgestone, you may be tempted to do a little more. 69.8 perhaps????

I know your right, but needs must mate

Been there, done that.....   :-X

The old story though - pays your money and takes your chance....

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2007, 09:50:55 »

I did say to Owen To go to the scrapper for Tires But did say only to get the spare tires out of cars as most will of had no use or very little. the Size he wanted 205/65 R15 are the size of most omega spares. I dont know if i would of used tires that had been in an accedent  :o unless they were sat in the spare wheel well

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

STMO123

« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2007, 12:10:12 »

We've had this discussion before. Whenever you buy a second hand car you are buying second hand tyres and, therefore, dont know their history. As Broocie says, you pays your money.......... :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2007, 13:48:19 »

It's not necessarily just 2nd hand tyres either.

My dad bought a brand new Corsa 6 months ago. A few days later he took it on a long motorway journey, stopped off at a services and, as he was about to set off, had a little walk aroud to check all was well. One of his tyres had a huge bulge in the sidewall.  :o

That could well have been an outside lane blowout if he hadn't checked. I think he's still arguing the toss with Vx for a replacement under warranty!

So, even 200 mile old tyres can ruin your day. It's well worth keeping an eye on them, and a check before any high speed driving is a good idea IMO.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.