Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuesday night quiz  (Read 2047 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Tuesday night quiz
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2007, 20:52:42 »

Fridge, Freezer, Fridge Freezer, Washing Machine, Washer Dryer, Tumble Dryer, Coffee Maker, Teasmaid, Toaster. Am I getting warm yet? Bread Maker, Sandwich Maker, Cuddly Toy >:(

I give up :(

Look up a few posts....answer posted  :y
« Last Edit: 03 July 2007, 20:53:32 by Taxi_Driver »

miggy

« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2007, 20:55:17 »

Only a mere woman's point of view but I'm going to quess at fridge/freezer  :-/

Correct  :y TB was as well  :y and miggy  :y

Useless fact......17% of your energy bills is on refrigeration.

Peeps tend to think what takes the most power....ie kettles/washing machines/etc....but forget those appliances are not on 24hours a day normally :y

Specially when its full of BEER  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2007, 20:57:27 »

I think in my case, it may be 'Big Bertha' aka the main server that runs just about everything, including OOF...

Thats 24/7 as well....

Oh yes....that will do it  ;D

I know i used to run a server 24/7 as well......it was doubling my leccy bill......but you carnt count that as a white good.....unless its keeps your Stella cold  ;D :y
Nothing is very cold in that room....   ....unless it gets really hot, then the portable chiller unit goes in there. Now that does uses some Leccy....
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2007, 21:06:33 »

I think in my case, it may be 'Big Bertha' aka the main server that runs just about everything, including OOF...

Thats 24/7 as well....

Oh yes....that will do it  ;D

I know i used to run a server 24/7 as well......it was doubling my leccy bill......but you carnt count that as a white good.....unless its keeps your Stella cold  ;D :y
Nothing is very cold in that room....   ....unless it gets really hot, then the portable chiller unit goes in there. Now that does uses some Leccy....

If its upstairs like mine was......i used to leave the windows open 24/7 in that room during hot weather and lock the internal door....just in case....during the winter....it used be warm in there....and shut the windows and opened all the internal doors upstairs.....it used to help heat my house upstairs  :D :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2007, 23:42:34 »

I know i used to run a server 24/7 as well......it was doubling my leccy bill....

I built myself a nice Mini-itx machine. Fanless (fans failed after first year so I fitted some bigger heatsinks..). Only takes 20 watts and that's with a decent hard drive. OK, OOF would be a tad sluggish if it were hosted on such a POS and there's minimal fault tolerance bit it's fine for serving mail, as an MP3 dumping ground, etc.

I have a little gadget (they are on special offer from Maplins every so often for about 12 quid) that you can plug an appliance into and it gives you the power consumption - Watts and VA, power factor, mains voltage and frequency. It will also tot up units consumed over time so you can stick it on a fridge for a week and then calculate the average consumption. A nice little toy that has caused me a few eye openers.

Did you know a Sky box takes 20 watts on standby? And pretty much the same when it's not on standby. There's absolutely F.A. point in switching it to standby :o All so it can turn on immediately on demand and not spend 30 seconds syncing to the satellite, and so that it can phone home in the night and spill the beans on your viewing habits (not that mine is anywhere near connected to a phone line).

If the environmentalists found out about that it would take the pressure off the 4x4 owners a tad!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STMO123

« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2007, 07:21:46 »

What about my PC/monitor which seems to get turned on as soon as I wake up and turned off as I go to bed?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2007, 08:35:09 »

I built myself a nice Mini-itx machine. Fanless (fans failed after first year so I fitted some bigger heatsinks..). Only takes 20 watts and that's with a decent hard drive. OK, OOF would be a tad sluggish if it were hosted on such a POS and there's minimal fault tolerance bit it's fine for serving mail, as an MP3 dumping ground, etc.
Trouble is, the one that is on all the time is struggling performance-wise anyway - 2.6 P4, 2Gb RAM and multiple disks...  ...downsizing it isn't an option  :'(
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2007, 08:40:34 »

My pond pump uses the most....80W and realy is on 24/7 (unlike a fridge freezer where the compressor turns on and off)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2007, 08:44:10 »

My pond pump uses the most....80W and realy is on 24/7 (unlike a fridge freezer where the compressor turns on and off)

You and me both!
10,000 lph pump! 110W
UV, ok only 25W
Plus the fishtank inside
Plus the always on PC

No wonder my 'energy' bill is £100 a month
« Last Edit: 04 July 2007, 08:49:20 by jimbob »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2007, 08:44:24 »

Don't most pond pumps have a cycle? I seem to remember my mum's did, as did my brother's one?
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2007, 08:47:38 »

Don't most pond pumps have a cycle? I seem to remember my mum's did, as did my brother's one?

No, runs all year round premanently on......forgot the 16W UV as well......

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 July 2007, 08:48:10 »

Some Garden ponds are only on 'during the day'
But soon change this when the fish die on a hot summers night.
Koi ponds do need 24h pumping
Used to work in an aquatic shop, never came across a cycling pump, if you run a filter which return to the pond through a small waterfall, people want them always working.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 July 2007, 08:55:16 »

Some Garden ponds are only on 'during the day'
But soon change this when the fish die on a hot summers night.
Koi ponds do need 24h pumping
Used to work in an aquatic shop, never came across a cycling pump, if you run a filter which return to the pond through a small waterfall, people want them always working.
Was possibly just on one of those timer things then  :-/

Mum's fish never lasted long enough to die that way, the bloomin' herons kept feasting...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.