Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexfucit  (Read 20884 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Brexfucit
« Reply #105 on: 31 March 2019, 20:42:14 »

Stay or fully leave were the only two alternatives that could have worked, and I think that's what the public were under the impression they were voting for.
If I'm honest, I think a significant propertion of leave votes, by the uninformed, voted leave under the misapprehension it would curb immigration. Certainly if the pub talk at the time was anything to go by. Also, I suspect some voted remain purely because the Guardian told them to.  As said, the British public are thick.  But anyways....

I think an issue was that with the referendum outcome almost being a draw, a compromise was probably a sensible tactic.  Only the vocal contingent of either side was, and remains, unwilling to compromise.  Ultimately, a compromise means nobody gets what they asked for, that rather than piss off around 50% of the electorate, you piss off 100%.

It has irreparably damaged our economy.

And now we have the worse of all outcomes, A50 extensions, which is more uncertainty.
All the negativity makes for a self fulfilling prophecy...  If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

As for the reasons why people voted, the question was a very straightforward one, and wasn't even slightly loaded.

Had there been zero campaigning for either side, I strongly believe that the result would have been at least the same, possibly greater for leaving.
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 01 April 2019, 00:17:01 »

I don't think you are a thick brexiteer, Sir Tig .

You can't own a Marina coupe and be stupid..... :D

Thank you M'lud!  :y

Marina ownership was a family thing at the time as my Dad had a Marina pickup in British Racing Green!  :y

When all my mates had hatchbacks, Fiat 127's, Fiesta's, Metro's and R5's, my Marina was a proper car!  :y

Not quite a Capri though, but only trumped by another mate who had a nice Saab 99 at the time, which was a tank of a thing.  He stacked it into a hedge and it emerged unscathed!  ;D
My youngest is visiting for a few days, he lives in Northumberland. A old friend of his called in this evening and he had driven up in his "summer car" which is a Marina Coupe.  :D My God, that car gets cosseted.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 01 April 2019, 01:30:42 »

Had a good day out on Friday in Parliament Square at the Leave Means Leave protest. Hot, sunny, spring day where the sun shines on the righteous. :y :y :y

All very good natured with good speeches on the Leave Means Leave stage in Parliament Square for several Leave MPs including Kate Hoey, Marcus French etc. along with Tim Martin & Nigel Farage. UKIP had a stage in a side area where loud music was coming from so I walked across & saw Tommy Robinson on stage setting up to speak, but I left to go back to Parliament Square so I don't know who spoke or what they said as I was there for Leave Means Leave.

Jon Snow racist comment made me laugh with his racist identity politics, where from mid-afternoon onwards I was talking to a delightful, bright, articulate, interesting young Chinese London girl, Hayley, who was born in the UK from Hong Kong parents & was standing next to me. There was also an african guy with a UK-Africa fair/free trade banner who was well received with hand claps, cheers & positive comments on his post-Brexit win-win UK-Africa free trade message.

All in all a carnival atmosphere with an obvious but low very professional police presence, who acted swiftly when known EU remainer PITA Steve who decided to pick on a guy dressed in his Union Jack suit & glasses that made the national press.

I left just after 5:30 as it was starting to get dark, so I don't know what happened after that.

It taught me much about the current political mood, by talking a bit & listening a lot, which I will follow up on in a new thread.

PS: Where I've just updated my 12yo Nikon D90 DSLR camera to a new D7500 it gave me the chance to try this out including the 4k video. I had delivered a 2nd 70-300mm lens on Saturday & will get a GPS module from Hong Kong this week & an 8mm 180 degree fisheye lens from the US. Looking forward to getting up to speed on all of this over the next few weeks. :y :y :y I found the tilt screen LCD really useful on Friday where I could view this while holing the camera above the crowd.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 01 April 2019, 18:06:04 »

Had there been zero campaigning for either side, I strongly believe that the result would have been at least the same, possibly greater for leaving.
I doubt it, as take the BBC, for example, a supposedly Remain Friendly media outlet according to an old quote in the old style Daily Mail (although my beeb contacts suggest most of their political editors are actually Leavers).  For the leave coverage, they were always ensuring the bus was in the background.  For the remain, it was mostly all non descript.

And the thick British public will just vote according to what paper they read or what channel they watch.

Also, remember at the time, the beeb TV news and the Daily Fail were daily pushing stories about migrants crossing the Med...   ...the numbers haven't changed, but it only hit the headlines again when Brexit looked less likely...

So the media does manipulate media more than you may think, and far more than "the establishment" that is so evil does.

Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 01 April 2019, 20:04:12 »

That's my point...

If it had simply been:

Referendum... Should the UK remain in the EU or leave the EU, on June 23rd 2016.

Here's your polling card.

And none of the propaganda/hype/downright lies/media excitement etc.

Between the media and both sides of the political posturing, it's no wonder no one knows what's going on.

Without any of that people could have voted without prejudice or bias and almost certainly produced a more decisive result.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 02 April 2019, 19:34:07 »

Not only is she going to ask for a further extension, but she is going to ask Corbyn to help her come up with a plan.
Wtf did the U.K. do to deserve this waste of fresh air for a P.M. ??  >:( >:( >:(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #111 on: 02 April 2019, 19:36:27 »

Not only is she going to ask for a further extension, but she is going to ask Corbyn to help her come up with a plan.
Wtf did the U.K. do to deserve this waste of fresh air for a P.M. ??  >:( >:( >:(
Voted her in?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 02 April 2019, 19:49:52 »

Voted "NOT in accordance with" what the politicians wanted / expected the UK to vote  :-[
so now the politicians are playing tit for tat
that'l learn us for voting  :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 02 April 2019, 20:23:41 »

Voted her in?

Not really. She doesn't have a majority. I will never understand why the Tory MP,s didn't get rid of hrr a few months ago, when they had the chance.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 02 April 2019, 20:28:51 »

Voted her in?

Not really. She doesn't have a majority. I will never understand why the Tory MP,s didn't get rid of hrr a few months ago, when they had the chance.
Trying to avoid a management change mid chaos ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 02 April 2019, 20:31:16 »

Would anyone else have been able to achieve anything different? I don't think so especially from the point they could have got rid of her.

I think they are all biding their time for a better scenario. Maybe Steve Baker would be OK.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 03 April 2019, 17:46:23 »

Would anyone else have been able to achieve anything different? I don't think so especially from the point they could have got rid of her.
I think this about sums it up. Other than I would go a stage further and say nobody would have got a significantly better deal.  Its a tough game when you hold no aces.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 03 April 2019, 17:52:31 »

I think this about sums it up. Other than I would go a stage further and say nobody would have got a significantly better deal.  Its a tough game when you hold no aces.

Surely the plan was that the UK held the whip hand and the EU 27 would fall into line if they wanted to continue selling their BMW and Mercedes.

.......just like in the old days of imperialism. ::)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 03 April 2019, 17:53:45 »

Hmm strong rumour the 1922 committee is meeting today, these guys have the power to remove her,let us hope so!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 03 April 2019, 18:06:36 »

Hmm strong rumour the 1922 committee is meeting today, these guys have the power to remove her,let us hope so!
Ignoring that I think she's hopeless, what would it achieve? Diddly squat.  In fact the extra uncertainty that would produce would cock it all up even more :(
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.