Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone watching Notre Dame....  (Read 5805 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone watching Notre Dame....
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2019, 19:39:10 »

Certainly a piece of history... Presumably they'll rebuild it in due course :-\

Rebuild it again. Notre Dame is very like Windsor castle; it was heavily tarted up in the 19th century to make it conform better to how the people of the time thought it should look. There was a lot of that going on, if you look at the exterior of Rochester Cathedral you can see where the Victorians rebuilt the roof considerably lower and installed a steeple that it hadn't had previously. They did some pretty shoddy work on the end wall too, although the repairs have been put off for some time, they're likely to cost over £250k

The tower of our local church which dates from Norman times is pebble dashed!  :o  ;D

I don't know when that was done, 1920's/30's?  :-\   But presumably before English Heritage was born.  ::)  :D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 April 2019, 19:40:45 »

I have been listening to those who seem to know these things and they have stated the roof of this Cathedral was very dense, hence the rapid and intense fire that consumed it. They state that the roof consisted of timber from between 1,000 and 1,300 trees.

If they rebuild to the original design, which surely they must, they it will take a very long time indeed to scource the suitable timber, cut and shape it to the exact sizes needed. Of course the whole Cathedral took 200 years to build, but with modern equipment and building techniques it should take not quite as long ::) ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 April 2019, 21:18:53 »

Yes Lizzie we have modern equipment and modern building techniques,unfortunately we also have modern workers so you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll go overtime and over budget.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 April 2019, 22:29:15 »

I have been listening to those who seem to know these things and they have stated the roof of this Cathedral was very dense, hence the rapid and intense fire that consumed it. They state that the roof consisted of timber from between 1,000 and 1,300 trees.

If they rebuild to the original design, which surely they must, they it will take a very long time indeed to source the suitable timber, cut and shape it to the exact sizes needed. Of course the whole Cathedral took 200 years to build, but with modern equipment and building techniques it should take not quite as long ::) ;)

Presumably oak as well?  ??? 

I don't want to see 1000-1300 mature oak trees that are busy sucking up CO2 chopped down to recreate an old church.  :P  So I propose that they use modern materials instead.  How about recycled plastic?  ???

I'm sure God would approve!  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 April 2019, 23:34:00 »

If they rebuild to the original design, which surely they must, they it will take a very long time indeed to source the suitable timber, cut and shape it to the exact sizes needed. Of course the whole Cathedral took 200 years to build, but with modern equipment and building techniques it should take not quite as long ::) ;)

I don't want to see 1000-1300 mature oak trees that are busy sucking up CO2 chopped down to recreate an old church.  :P  So I propose that they use modern materials instead.  How about recycled plastic?  ???

How cool would a carbon fibre Cathedral be? 8)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2019, 00:21:37 »

MDF, chipboard and shed felt quote submitted
the quote for epdm and sterling board with c24 timber was too high for the poor church  :(
 ;D :D
knock it down and build an omega production line
we can smuggle them past brexit borders  :P

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 April 2019, 07:17:06 »

So the place catches fire,the fire fighters battle for hours risking their lives to save it and then a mass of people turn up and light candles all around the place :D :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 April 2019, 07:40:16 »

"God" obviously decided it was an old building and wanted something newer
OR
nearer the truth.....
"God" wanted rid of his sitting tenant  Quasimodo,who was on a cheap rent deal and demanding the leaky roof be repaired,new kitchen and bathroom ,boiler etc

"God" has property all over the world
poor Quasi (who is disabled and on benefits) probably hasn't got 2 pennies sticks to rub together ,anymore  :P

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 April 2019, 08:50:38 »

the quote for epdm and sterling board with c24 timber was too high for the poor church  :(

Dave, live with the times! It will be done with a 3D printer. Obviously not in one go, that is why Macron says it will take only five years.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 April 2019, 09:15:25 »

Dave, live with the times! It will be done with a 3D printer. Obviously not in one go, that is why Macron says it will take only five years.
Yep, 4.7 years is building the 3D printer though. ;D
Oh, and then printing bits to upgrade the printer. They'll get round to the Cathedral one day. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 April 2019, 09:23:39 »

How cool would a carbon fibre Cathedral be? 8)

Very cool!  :)

If they rebuild the roof with lightweight modern materials, they'll be able to get rid of all those flying buttress's that clutter up the outside.  That would really tidy the place up!  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 April 2019, 12:21:10 »

Probably so Sir Tigger.

Remember, the famous 100 gun HMS Victory of Trafalgar fame took 6,000 mature oak and elm trees to build.  So 1,000-1,300 is not so many! :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 April 2019, 12:25:06 »

Yes Lizzie we have modern equipment and modern building techniques,unfortunately we also have modern workers so you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll go overtime and over budget.

Guaranteed Baza! :D :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 April 2019, 12:29:47 »

So the place catches fire,the fire fighters battle for hours risking their lives to save it and then a mass of people turn up and light candles all around the place :D :D

Yes, but do not forget in 1666 London the people did it the other way round.  They set light to their houses and then set light to St. Pauls!! They had lights galour :D :D :D ;)

(Only joking of course, and with Notre Dame no particular race of people are being blamed for the fire, unlike what happened in dear London town!!) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 April 2019, 12:30:01 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.