Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone built a timber garage before?  (Read 3399 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Anyone built a timber garage before?
« on: 16 April 2019, 12:00:04 »

Finally, the day for leaving the burger van has arrived (Thursday  :y), so the next thing is what we do with the place once we have it.

We've got pretty big plans for the house itself, which will involve converting the attached garages, meaning I need a place for tools and toys  8), so a double garage in the back/side garden is the chosen option.

Given that we will be stretched financially on the project, the idea of shelling out £17-25k (online estimates) for a brick/block garage isn't that appealing so I am thinking of building a timber one. My initial idea is to build something around 25sqm which, if correctly positioned and of a low enough height won't require building regs or planning permission. Instinctively I think there should be at least a £10k saving to be made.

I'll get some professionals to drop a concrete base and use pre-made roof trusses. For the walls I am thinking of making wall panels up using 4 x 2" with an OSB inner skin, rockwool insulation, vapour barrier and shiplap on the outside. I was wondering if anyone else had gone down this or similar route and had any experiences or pics to share?

Alternatively, as always, feel free to mock the idea  :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone built a timber garage before?
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2019, 12:33:17 »

Finally, the day for leaving the burger van has arrived (Thursday  :y), so the next thing is what we do with the place once we have it.

We've got pretty big plans for the house itself, which will involve converting the attached garages, meaning I need a place for tools and toys  8), so a double garage in the back/side garden is the chosen option.

Given that we will be stretched financially on the project, the idea of shelling out £17-25k (online estimates) for a brick/block garage isn't that appealing so I am thinking of building a timber one. My initial idea is to build something around 25sqm which, if correctly positioned and of a low enough height won't require building regs or planning permission. Instinctively I think there should be at least a £10k saving to be made.

I'll get some professionals to drop a concrete base and use pre-made roof trusses. For the walls I am thinking of making wall panels up using 4 x 2" with an OSB inner skin, rockwool insulation, vapour barrier and shiplap on the outside. I was wondering if anyone else had gone down this or similar route and had any experiences or pics to share?

Im fairly certain that as your building it out of wood, you don't need planning permission, as its classed as a temporary structure. Double check this tho, and if correct, build it as big as you like  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2019, 12:46:07 »

Oak?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2019, 12:52:12 »

Have you thought about building your garage with pallets Jimmy?

They are cheap, readily available and there are lots of ideas and plans available online.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2019, 12:57:55 »

Spend a bit more and lose the shiplap. It looks cheap and, for a bit more, you could make it look so much nicer. T&G makes it more like a permanent structure, not a glorified garden shed.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2019, 13:00:23 »

I've built several outbuildings
wood needs treating and rots
my choice of material ....
 strong,insulated ,fire resistant, maintenance free ,easy to erect,
this clicky
I have a 5x2.5x2.5 m workshop, 5x 2.2 x 2.2m  fish house (indoor koi pond heated 24/7/365) still classed as temporary structures, like a conservatory .
cheaper than wood if you factor in speed of construction,if you want it to look like a wooden shed,clad over it with timber,when you get round to it  ::)
just an idea  :y

planning portal will say what you can have ,though a virgin site ,location etc your best to speak to local council.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2019, 14:09:14 »

Im fairly certain that as your building it out of wood, you don't need planning permission, as its classed as a temporary structure. Double check this tho, and if correct, build it as big as you like  :y

a temporary building means it not there over 28 days,
you can build to 30m2 floor area if away from boundary and be exempt B Regs

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2019, 14:51:21 »

See Twiglet's garage project :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2019, 15:05:22 »

Don't overlook the fact that 'snob' value may affect ease of selling in the future, unless you go to pains to make it look really classy.
Is part DIY brick consruction out of the question? I built a large extension to my brick garage using a friend to do the brickwork and doing the rest myself. Took some time, mind you, but very satisfying.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2019, 15:55:04 »

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/outbuildings.pdf

Thanks for the link! I think I can get away with no planning or regs for what I want, my main concern is making a proper job of it. I like the panels, SWMBO may not  ;D

Spend a bit more and lose the shiplap. It looks cheap and, for a bit more, you could make it look so much nicer. T&G makes it more like a permanent structure, not a glorified garden shed.

Good point, and (wierdly) due to the way our staff discount works, T&G is cheaper  :y
First estimate at material costs so far:
Timber frame £175
T&G Cladding £310
2 Sets of doors £305
Personnel door £30
OSB £200
Insulation £70
Roof covering: "slates", felt and battens (27 sqm) £420
Guttering and downpipes £75
Roof Trusses £625
VAT £430

Base £1250
6mm armoured cable for electric feed and DIY drainage £250

Total £4,150. Call it £5,000 with some equipment hire, something to finish the timber with, oh and all the stuff I forgot. Seems worth doing...

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2019, 16:00:56 »

Thanks, I'll have a search...

Don't overlook the fact that 'snob' value may affect ease of selling in the future, unless you go to pains to make it look really classy.
Is part DIY brick consruction out of the question? I built a large extension to my brick garage using a friend to do the brickwork and doing the rest myself. Took some time, mind you, but very satisfying.

I'll be aiming for something that looks like this, but painted rather than stained...
https://images.app.goo.gl/Q5X2HSZ2V3MHH7Mj8

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2019, 16:05:07 »

Thanks, I'll have a search...

I'll be aiming for something that looks like this, but painted rather than stained...
https://images.app.goo.gl/Q5X2HSZ2V3MHH7Mj8
Just look at the difference in that compared to shiplap. No contest.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2019, 16:07:04 »

That's as big as some people's houses, btw.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2019, 16:11:28 »

Will your four post ramp fit in there? And don't forget to show the people who are doing the base where your pit is going.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.