Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: front lower wishbones  (Read 5778 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: front lower wishbones
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2018, 16:26:03 »

Not used Mister Auto, but have seen ATP wishbones (poor) and tried to use ATP (never posted the boot struts).

If your current wishbones are GM and have good balljoints, stop dicking around, poly the fronts (£50) and press new GM bushes (about £20 each) in the rear, then take if for a full geometry check (not 4 wheel alignment or "laser alignment" of any other substandard tosh) to WIM settings, then worry about the rearward bushes again in 3 to 4yrs (probably much longer, as you clearly don't use the cars capabilities).

If you *MUST* have shiny wishbones, GM are too expensive (and you should be able to negotiate significantly better than 10%), so your choice probably becomes Lemforder from a reputable supplier (too many fakes about).
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2018, 16:36:29 »

Not used Mister Auto, but have seen ATP wishbones (poor) and tried to use ATP (never posted the boot struts).

If your current wishbones are GM and have good balljoints, stop dicking around, poly the fronts (£50) and press new GM bushes (about £20 each) in the rear, then take if for a full geometry check (not 4 wheel alignment or "laser alignment" of any other substandard tosh) to WIM settings, then worry about the rearward bushes again in 3 to 4yrs (probably much longer, as you clearly don't use the cars capabilities).

If you *MUST* have shiny wishbones, GM are too expensive (and you should be able to negotiate significantly better than 10%), so your choice probably becomes Lemforder from a reputable supplier (too many fakes about).

Thanks TB, very helpful :-* :-* :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2018, 16:37:03 »

Who are Lemforder and why are they so superior, TB?

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2018, 17:17:48 »

Apart from the main WIM, just over 2 hours from me, is there any closer to me in Malta Kent?  ??? :D ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 September 2018, 17:25:46 »

Tyre Pro in Strood/Rochester Bridge have the correct equipment and setup and have also got WIM,s setting as ..NickW.Weds and myself have all used them with good results.

The guys there also know how to use the machine properly and as they have dealt with several fussy Omega Owners over the years don't try fobbing you off with..." its in the Green so that's ok Guv". :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 September 2018, 17:27:29 »

How near to Witham (Essex) are you, Kate? Albs and I have had excellent service from Tyre-Smart with their Hunter full geometric alignment machine, using the WIM settings that I gave them, similar to what amba just said. :y

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 September 2018, 17:29:58 »

Tyre Pro in Strood/Rochester Bridge have the correct equipment and setup and have also got WIM,s setting as ..NickW.Weds and myself have all used them with good results.

The guys there also know how to use the machine properly and as they have dealt with several fussy Omega Owners over the years don't try fobbing you off with..." its in the Green so that's ok Guv". :)

Thanks amba :y

Is that the "Protyre" chain, which I actually have 3 branches of here in Ashford? ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 September 2018, 17:39:23 »

That's correct Lizzie although quality of operatives and knowledge of how to use it differ hugely from 1 branch to another.

I have used the place on the Orbital Park near you by MacDogbits and found them pretty shoddy tbh. :(

Their policy was Green was good enough and when I asked them to set it at specific settings guy said he could due to wear in bushes and old joints...that was total b***lxs as all parts had just been replaced.They may of changed now though as that was 6/7 years ago now and you seem a forcefull lady so imagine they will do as you tell them to  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 September 2018, 17:42:30 »

That's correct Lizzie although quality of operatives and knowledge of how to use it differ hugely from 1 branch to another.

I have used the place on the Orbital Park near you by MacDogbits and found them pretty shoddy tbh. :(

Their policy was Green was good enough and when I asked them to set it at specific settings guy said he could due to wear in bushes and old joints...that was total b***lxs as all parts had just been replaced.They may of changed now though as that was 6/7 years ago now and you seem a forcefull lady so imagine they will do as you tell them to  ;D

That is great amba. Many thanks! :-* :-* :y

A plan is now coming together.  I'm going to Vx tommorrow and forcing my hand on the parts. We will see if they budge, but they know I am a very good long term customer :D ;)

Strood is no distance at all for me.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 17:44:38 by Lizzie Zoom »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 September 2018, 18:07:05 »

They're not afraid of making the adjustments either; the last time I had my car done,he just got on with freeing off and adjusting the rear adjusters after we both decided that the front cambers were slightly off WIM's recommended setting but as they'd been like that for 4 years we weren't going to disturb them.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 September 2018, 18:15:06 »

45 minutes drive to Strood for you Lizzie and they even offer free coffee.

Shops within walking distance so a woman’s heaven  :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 September 2018, 18:41:23 »

45 minutes drive to Strood for you Lizzie and they even offer free coffee.

Shops within walking distance so a woman’s heaven  :D

Yep, all good! 8) ;D :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 September 2018, 18:42:27 »

They're not afraid of making the adjustments either; the last time I had my car done,he just got on with freeing off and adjusting the rear adjusters after we both decided that the front cambers were slightly off WIM's recommended setting but as they'd been like that for 4 years we weren't going to disturb them.

Good info. Thanks Nick 8)  :-* :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 September 2018, 19:08:06 »

Who are Lemforder and why are they so superior, TB?

Ron.
Lemforder are now part of the ZF group, based in Germany.  They manufacture quality parts for both aftermarket and OE.  Sadly, because of their name and reputation, there are a lot of fakes around.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.