Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering knocking  (Read 4831 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Steering knocking
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2019, 22:25:11 »

Most of the trick with the Omega is getting the geometry right. The mechanicals are all pretty clear cut.

For your purposes, a pry bar isn't necessary  :y

Jack the front end and support it.

1. turn the steering lock to lock with the engine off.
2. grab the track rods and try to twist.
3. grab the wheels in turn. key out, steering lock engaged and rock side to side (track rod play) and top and bottom (bottom ball joint).
4. grab the tie rod and try to twist.
5. grab the drop links and try to twist.
6. grab the steering idler and box drop arm and try to move up and down.

You're looking to identify any noises or excessive movement... a good ball joint will move by hand but will feel tight. A knackered one will literally rattle as you shake it :y

If gripping is an issue, use mole grips. Same applies but allow for the extra leverage wrt movement ;)

If you'd seen the bottom ball joints of my daughter's car you'd know what a fubar'd ball joint looked like

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2019, 11:52:49 »

Trying to view the article at : http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90626.0 on a worn steering idler but flash will not play it despite me re-installing it 4 times ... :(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2019, 12:46:37 »

Jack the front end and support it.

1. turn the steering lock to lock with the engine off. - No funny noises, creaking or knocking
2. grab the track rods and try to twist. Track rods both sides rotate extremely easily about 20-25 degrees
3. grab the wheels in turn. key out, steering lock engaged and rock side to side (track rod play) and top and bottom (bottom ball joint).side to side a bit of play and a light knock whilst doing this, top and bottom absolutely solid
4. grab the tie rod and try to twist. - Tie rod (long one from track rod end one side to track rod end others ide?) - absolutely solid
5. grab the drop links and try to twist. - No movement at all
6. grab the steering idler and box drop arm and try to move up and down. - steering idler solid - "box arm" .. is that the steering idler at the steeringwheel input shaft ??  Both are solid

To try and get movement where I've said "solid" I've used a tyre lever to add some force to my arm movements ... so "solid" means I get no movement even with the lever.

I put the lever under the ball joint on the wishbone .. no movement there at all.

So the only things that have any movement are the tie rod ends which do move very easily for 20-25 degrees, no effort required at all.

I'm guessing change them both, inners and outers ?? then a full geo check ??

are these what I'm looking for ?? 

First line - £23, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FDL6396-FIRST-LINE-TIE-ROD-ASSEMBLY-RIGHT-fits-Vauxhall-Omega-94-8-99/183647032202?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega%7CCars+Type%3A3.2+V6%7CPlat_Gen%3AB%7CCars+Year%3A2001%7CVariant%3AB+%5B1994-2003%5D+Saloon&epid=249098668&hash=item2ac237538a:g:7o8AAOSwyshcRi9T

Febi - £28  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEBI-01831-Rod-Assembly-Front-Axle-Right/292069912068?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega%7CCars+Type%3A3.2+V6%7CPlat_Gen%3AB%7CCars+Year%3A2001%7CVariant%3AB+%5B1994-2003%5D+Saloon&hash=item4400b92e04:g:MtEAAOSwjOZZenwP:rk:31:pf:0

Delphi £32    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-2-0-2-2-2-2DTi-2-5-2-5-2-6-3-0-04-1994-08-2003-ROD-ASSEMBLY-Near/371311143099?hash=item5673de68bb:g:lX8AAOSwAJFZ3VEQ:rk:13:pf:0

Lemforder - £64 !!  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEMFORDER-Rod-Assy-Opel-Vauxhall-Omega-FRH-2679702/113352067700?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega%7CCars+Type%3A3.2+V6%7CPlat_Gen%3AB%7CCars+Year%3A2001%7CVariant%3AB+%5B1994-2003%5D+Saloon&hash=item1a644f4a74:g:tN4AAOSwZ1hb4HSm

:-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 12:53:17 by Entwood »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2019, 12:55:35 »

Final check, passenger side jacked up, a bit of right lock so you can see the idler and track rod, grab the wheel at 3-9 O'clock and wiggle.

Can you see the idler moving in the vertical direction?

Can you see/feel movement in the track rod ball joints?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2019, 12:56:44 »

Just to add, is doing track rods and the rest of the geo is Ok, you can get away with just tracking (as that's the only dimension they alter)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2019, 13:03:11 »

Final check, passenger side jacked up, a bit of right lock so you can see the idler and track rod, grab the wheel at 3-9 O'clock and wiggle.

Can you see the idler moving in the vertical direction? - No movement in the vertical at all

Can you see/feel movement in the track rod ball joints? - Definite slight movement about 1/4" - 3/8" at the wheel rim, light knock if I'm harsh and abrupt with the "wiggle"

Many thanks for all the inputs .. it is appreciated  :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2019, 13:25:55 »

Just to add ... the wishbones were rebuilt by Joff in 2014 (136,000 miles) with new Vx ball joints and rear bushes, and poly front bushes.

:)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 February 2019, 14:51:43 »

From that list, Delphi. Their balljoints are far better than their bushes...

A good solid diagnosis with a straightforward solution  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2019, 15:15:45 »

They won't sell me the delphi one as it doesn't fit their database for the 3.2 !!  Even though I've told them they atre all the same :(

So going for the meyle ones ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meyle-Track-Rod-Assembly-Tie-Rod-Steering-Left-Part-No-616-030-5587/351970734401?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega%7CCars+Type%3A3.2+V6%7CPlat_Gen%3AB%7CCars+Year%3A2001&hash=item51f3173141:g:PR4AAOSwjDZYkMut

I'm guessing the existing ones will last another 10 days and 500 miles .. :)  Off to Dawlish to try out the new tin-tent and these won't arrive before we leave ..... :)
« Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 15:19:09 by Entwood »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 February 2019, 15:40:26 »

Front end clonking at low speed tight turns suggests something on the wheel (balance weight?) fouling steering or suspension; if so it will occur once each wheel revolution, so be regular.
I find brand new ATP steering links can be rotated 20 degrees, without slack in the steering.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 February 2019, 15:46:39 »

Front end clonking at low speed tight turns suggests something on the wheel (balance weight?) fouling steering or suspension; if so it will occur once each wheel revolution, so be regular.
I find brand new ATP steering links can be rotated 20 degrees, without slack in the steering.
They can be rotated from new, but should not be so easily rotated as to be loose/knocking ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2019, 13:06:00 »

They won't sell me the delphi one as it doesn't fit their database for the 3.2 !!  Even though I've told them they atre all the same :(
I never bother to give ebay sellers the vehicle details. Or I say it's a Vauxhall Omega or a Skoda or whatever. I've never known them not to send the parts and in the main I've had no trouble. I have very occasionally had to return parts because they did not match the description, leaving aside the intended application. But that's true of parts for all sorts of things.

In this case it seems that the Delphi steering parts for Omega are obsolete and no longer manufactured and the Delphi application list hasn't been updated for cars beyond Model Year '99. And being new old stock might explain why Doctor Gollum sees the ball joints as better quality then some current ones.

In this case Delphi saya the part is

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 February 2019, 13:59:37 »

Another thing that comes to mind that can cause a rattle is if the pins on which the front brake calipers float have dried out. I only noticed mine rattling with the window open, however. I now give them a smear of grease whenever I change the pads.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 February 2019, 17:41:47 »

Wandering is probably your tyres - I seem to recall you use pretty naff ones (GY?) - esp if they are half worn.  Steering idler can give wandering effect - must have zero vertical movement.  Don't use crap, stick to GM, or poly.

Knocking - my immediate thought was wishbone balljoint or wishbone bushes.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 February 2019, 23:30:27 »

Wandering is probably your tyres - I seem to recall you use pretty naff ones (GY?) - esp if they are half worn.  Steering idler can give wandering effect - must have zero vertical movement.  Don't use crap, stick to GM, or poly.

Knocking - my immediate thought was wishbone balljoint or wishbone bushes.

I resemble those remarks !!!  :)

Tyres are Michelin Pilot Sports 4 .. all 4 replaced 3000 miles ago (October) !!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.