Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Towbar and electrics?  (Read 4079 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Towbar and electrics?
« on: 29 April 2018, 16:14:25 »

I seem to be increasingly usung my saloon car as a van, especially as I'm transporting materials for paving/concreting my lawn to park my Omega on (driveway full of tin tent), therefore I'm thinking about adding a towbar and cheapo trailer.
Can anyone help, please?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find the wanted/for sale section - stupid, I know!  :-[

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Towbar and electrics?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2018, 16:21:11 »

Towbar must be "type approved" to be legal .. so you need one designed for the Omega, not difficult to fit yourself, just "awkward" without a ramp as you need to get a fair way under the car.

If just using a trailer you only need the road lights option used to be called 12N .. very simple to do as all the wiring already exists in the boot, all you need is a couple of relays to get it all working.

Other option is to get some quotes from the fitting companies ... they can do the whole job in a couple of hours.

Trailers now have to be "plated" IIRC, with the max weight ... mine is so old and so home made it has no plate .. but is extremely solid ..  :)
« Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 16:23:03 by Entwood »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2018, 17:35:33 »

This reminds me. I really must attach the removable towbar to my car and check all is as it should be.
I haven't done it since I bought the car, and knowing my luck the time I will find out that something is wrong with it will be the first time I need to use it.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

kingshott50

« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2018, 18:58:46 »

Got a towbar in my shed if you can reach kings lynn free for members only ? never fitted to my car but it came off a omega.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2018, 22:10:26 »

Got a towbar in my shed if you can reach kings lynn free for members only ? never fitted to my car but it came off a omega.
Saloon and estate tow bars are very different... Wiring identical though :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

kingshott50

« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2018, 22:47:11 »

Its is for a saloon,i think its got electrics too,will check tomorrow 👍

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2018, 10:44:58 »

Funny enough I was under the back of mine yesterday confirming the rumours that a towbar salvaged from a pfl estate is no good for a facelift estate.
With type approval required I doubt they would look to kindly if I modified it, especially with my welding, so if anyone needs one its going spare.

Steve

Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2018, 11:17:03 »

That's a brilliant offer, but distance is the problem - 100 miles each way, and my Omega has a drink problem!
Actually, the last time I towed was with my beloved Carlton estate, pulling my Sprite caravan, I fitted a "Trapezium" tow hitch, (wonderful device) - which makes a "virtual" pivot point around the centre of the axle instead of at the tow ball, resulting in a very stable outfit free of snaking.

Ron.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2018, 12:00:22 »

Had mine supplied and fitted at home  by a mobile tow bar fitter.Reasonable price.

kingshott50

« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2018, 12:52:29 »

No worries Ron 👍

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2018, 12:59:52 »

Yes, it's a xhame; but I do appreciate the offer. Many thanks.  :)

Ron.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2018, 13:08:02 »

There used to be a tow bar fitting company in Witham Ron, on Freebournes

Keith ABS

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2018, 13:36:07 »

I am certain I have seen a plug connector branching off the wiring loom hidden away in the rear panel which is a simple 'plug and play' for the towbar wiring. Whether it is for the original Vauxhall towbar electrics kit or whether the aftermarket do a suitable kit, I'm not certain, but worth checking. Would make the wiring a lot simpler if your car has the plug and you can get the correct tow bar loom to connect to it.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2018, 14:03:50 »

I am certain I have seen a plug connector branching off the wiring loom hidden away in the rear panel which is a simple 'plug and play' for the towbar wiring. Whether it is for the original Vauxhall towbar electrics kit or whether the aftermarket do a suitable kit, I'm not certain, but worth checking. Would make the wiring a lot simpler if your car has the plug and you can get the correct tow bar loom to connect to it.

Plug exists but socket is virtually un-gettable. Cut off the plug and connect wires to 12N socket wires, as appropriate, by soldering/shrink wrapping. IIRC the only additional thing needed is a different flasher relay .. and all that does is make the repeater on the dash work !!

You can buy an expensive "trailer pack" set up from Vx which gives additional bulb failure warnings. I have that as I tow a "tin tent" a lot, and for quite high miles, for just an occasional use trailer I wouldn't have bothered.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2018, 15:21:30 »

Plug exists but socket is virtually un-gettable. Cut off the plug and connect wires to 12N socket wires, as appropriate, by soldering/shrink wrapping. IIRC the only additional thing needed is a different flasher relay .. and all that does is make the repeater on the dash work !!

You can buy an expensive "trailer pack" set up from Vx which gives additional bulb failure warnings. I have that as I tow a "tin tent" a lot, and for quite high miles, for just an occasional use trailer I wouldn't have bothered.
Bear in mind that if you use the dedicated plug/socket in the boot, the brake light feed to it is via the trailer check 'relay' base up front. So you you either bridge that connector block or take the brake light feed directly from the car's brake lights.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.