Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone on Giffgaff mobile?  (Read 2868 times)

fergy

• Hereford
  • 2001 CDX 2.2dti Estate
    • View Profile
Anyone on Giffgaff mobile?
« on: 13 January 2012, 01:39:24 »

A cautionary tale!

Found Giffgaff offering lots of mins and txts with unlimited internet from £10/month. Thought I would give it a go.
Got the sim, put it in and requested PAC code from Orange.  Requested giffgaff to port number, they said we will do it on 29/12/2011.

To cut a long story short, my phone started working again (in a limited voice only fashion) on 12 Jan.

Don't go there !   (Giffgaff is a wholly owned subsidiary of 02)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Anyone on Giffgaff mobile?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2012, 06:19:07 »

Im on giffgaff........and only had one problem that was resolved fairly swiftly by them. (That was a data speed issue)
I also ported my number to them and had no issues....

Porting numbers can be a troublesome issue.....it could have been a problem with your original network provider.....have a read here if you havent already ....

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-and-News/Porting-In-explained-industry-view-plus-giffgaff-s-recent/m-p/80054

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2012, 08:23:00 »

I've been with GiffGaff for a few months and they got my number up and running when they said they would ;)

Retired

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2012, 12:26:27 »

Mrs & both Miss Loo-knee's have been on Giff Gaff for a few months and not had any problems at all. The signal here is full where as my Virgin Contract is hopeless >:( as soon as my contract is up Giff Gaff for me too.
There online help section is almost like been on here answers within minutes I found....

I must add, our girls both have the £5 unlimited texts bundle thing... I cant believe how many text they allow for a fiver... I posted a couple of months ago our eldest texts within 24 hrs.. :o

Thumbs up from us I'm afraid.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2012, 12:48:46 »

Currently using GG for the business mobile and when my contract is up I'll probably be putting both mine and Cakey's iPhones onto GG too :)

Big thumbs up from me too :y :y

I can only assume that the OP has been unlucky and been caught up in the Christmas period
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2012, 10:57:11 »

I've got 2 on GG, Mrs TB has one. The one in the telematics was ported in, as was Mrs TB's. No problems whatsoever. My other, I just chose to us the number GiffGaff provided - too many people knew my previous number anyway ::)

No problems here, but I am aware of problems with porting in over the Christmas period.  I understand that the system problems are all but resolved, but there are some backlogs. As you know, contacting an agent is the only way to resolve account related problems, although, again as you know, there is a backlog there as well  :'(

It does strike me that the account related systems are struggling with load currently, so I:
a) Buy O2 top-ups from Tesco (and get my clubcard points, and credit card loyalty points ::)), rather than directly from GiffGaff site.
b) Ensure any 'Goodybags' are in place at least a week before the previous one expires.

It works very, very well for us.

For the record, GiffGaff is NOT owned by O2. It is a seperate business set up and funded by Spanish telco Telefonica. Telefonica also own O2, after buying it from mmO2 shortly after BT spun it out from BT Group (when it was called BT Cellnet).
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2012, 11:01:20 »

Do the normal O2 top ups work then? Heard mixed reports!

Incidentally, I just bought a GiffGaff top up from a pay point retailer last time... Just tell them to keep scrolling down as it's near the bottom of the list.  :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2012, 11:36:03 »

Incidentally, I just bought a GiffGaff top up from a pay point retailer last time... Just tell them to keep scrolling down as it's near the bottom of the list.  :y
Yes, O2 ones work. Other O2 based MVNO ones, eg Tesco Mobile, won't.

Seems the website sometimes needs 2 attampts to accept it, but I always use the iPhone app to enter it.

Giffgaff are on all top-up systems, but the biffs running the tills seem to cock it up too often. O2 just seems easier.
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2012, 15:22:58 »

Thats what we buy Lazy, O2 vouchers from our local Co-op :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2012, 19:56:07 »

I normally use my card online, but at present enjoying 4 months free  :)

DLK - I noticed you didnt activate the sim you ordered from my link in my sig  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2012, 22:23:45 »

DLK - I noticed you didnt activate the sim you ordered from my link in my sig  ::)
Only 4 ::)

Once again, assuming I don't use it too much out of my included mins/mms, I won't be paying for my main one, and the car's phone, only ever topped up with £10, still has nearly £30 of credit on it ::)
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2012, 10:11:45 »

I had a number of sims turn up so not sure whos is what  ;D

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2012, 11:51:01 »

my hole family are on giffgaff, had no trubble with them, get free calls to giffgaff, free internet on phones, been with them for over a year,it may be your phone some are not compatible there is a list on web page of incompatible phones. and topping up can use o2 at paypoint if giffgaff not listed. but they not O2.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2012, 11:59:50 »

been using them for a while had no problems :y

fergy

• Hereford
  • 2001 CDX 2.2dti Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2012, 14:30:11 »

After some adjustment to settings FULL functionality was restored.

I am glad to hear that others are having good service via GG. Their offer is pretty irresistible. after all.

It was not just me who got caught up in the Christmas porting problems, some 250 others had no service at all for some days and a  small number are still without service from as early as mid December'11. Some cases have arrived at what is termed a " deadlock" situation, where Oftel are informed. Thankfully not me !

GG have promised up to £100 each in compensation, which I eagerly await!

Thanks for all the positive replies on service levels, I have decided to stick with them. I can't go through all that bother again!

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2012, 14:36:29 »

i got o2 never had any trouble

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2012, 18:14:52 »

Bet it costs you more tho  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2012, 20:49:16 »

I migrated my 2 O2 ones to GiffGaff, and took out another for the car.  Mainly because O2 were too dear...
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Giffgaff?
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2012, 15:29:27 »

Currently with three and contract due to run out. I have recently updated my smartphone, so don't need a 2 yr contract or anything of that sort. Having done a bit of research with Dr Google and Prof Wiki, it would seem giffgaff is an alternative. However there seems to be a lot of dissent amongst the ranks along with increasing popularity and thereby problems.

The other thing is that i would like at least 1500mins and when you compare the giffgaff sim with a three sim only plan, they are both £25 and the three sim gives you a 500 mins more. Plus you have someone at the end of a tel no to call if things go tits up. So far three has been impressive in terms of coverage, connectivity, download speeds and service. Giffgaff is an unknown and seems less value for money at my talktime price point.

My friends however swear by the gaff and want me to switch. I am less sure. I remember reading someone on here has used gg? Any opinions?
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Giffgaff?
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2012, 15:36:23 »

When you say you need 1500mins, how many of them are Mobile / Land Line Calls, may be a better and cheaper to get a tariff say 500 Mob mins and 1000 L/L mins, some tariffs through in L/L for free or a small fee per month.

Chris.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
I like red cars

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2012, 15:40:21 »

I would say predominantly mobile (70%) and the rest landlines I guess. Unlimited internet is a must as well, cant be bothered with stupid top ups for the net. Texts I don't really care about.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2012, 15:44:35 »

I would say predominantly mobile (70%) and the rest landlines I guess. Unlimited internet is a must as well, cant be bothered with stupid top ups for the net. Texts I don't really care about.

The only people that give true unlimited internet (as in they wont charge more if you do over) is T Mobile, believe Giff have gone to fair use policy now, could be wrong on the last bit.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2012, 15:46:28 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=98116.msg1229037#msg1229037

So reasonably good experience, but as it is I cant see the benefit of switching to a provider with fewer minutes for the same price. Or am I missing a trick here? I do note that the lower tariffs are better than the corresponding ones that three offer.

With regards to support I would rather have someone that I can shout at if something goes wrong, rather than posting on a forum.

I am okay with the fair use policy.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.