Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil leak  (Read 1546 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
oil leak
« on: 15 May 2019, 18:26:00 »

without pinpointing exactly from where it seems that an oil leak is dripping from the rear of the engine n/s. the long bolt that goes upwards from sump to engine has a drip of oil coming off it. if its a rear crank seal or the rear of the  sump gasket both scenarios would be too costly, i guess. but its making a mess of where i have to park.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2019, 22:06:12 »

I'm trying to remember where the oil pressure switch is on the DTi, I seem to recall its at the rear of the sump pan towards the oil cooler location on the block... Might be worth shinning a torch down there and having a look?... Standard VX part across most models, notorious for leaking. The crank sensor is also close to there so worth seeing if the O ring on that is weeping.

Other than that I guess rear crank seal is favourite, but it's not too bad a job for a garage, especially as the manual box weighs a fraction of an auto.

« Last Edit: 15 May 2019, 22:07:53 by VXL V6 »

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2019, 16:39:52 »

I'm trying to remember where the oil pressure switch is on the DTi, I seem to recall its at the rear of the sump pan towards the oil cooler location on the block... Might be worth shinning a torch down there and having a look?... Standard VX part across most models, notorious for leaking. The crank sensor is also close to there so worth seeing if the O ring on that is weeping.

Other than that I guess rear crank seal is favourite, but it's not too bad a job for a garage, especially as the manual box weighs a fraction of an auto.
the oil sensor i am thinking its at the front going into the oil pan. the crank sensor is in the vicinity of the leak & has been removed twice to insert a locking pin so will check tomorrow.  :y

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2019, 17:15:33 »

without making a saga of the post . i found an old post & VXL V6 advised a member if oil is dripping from the two aft sump bolts than most likely a rear crank-seal is kaput. would anybody on the forum do it for me. ( if it turns out to be that ) pay the going rate

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2019, 17:44:22 »

without making a saga of the post . i found an old post & VXL V6 advised a member if oil is dripping from the two aft sump bolts than most likely a rear crank-seal is kaput. would anybody on the forum do it for me. ( if it turns out to be that ) pay the going rate
  I have just had a quote which I think is reasonable .( i thought it would be double ) 206 quid

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2019, 18:09:41 »

Throw a new clutch in whilst you're there ;)

There's no extra labour because they're removing it already :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2019, 18:22:33 »

I should have got my trolley jack out and looked at Brackley
but being fresh tarmac and an old Omega I did not want the blame for damage (in case the tarmac or your subframe gave way )
It needs putting on a lift , ramp or axle stands ,cleaning ,including removing the engine cover (to check it is not leaking from the filler cap or leak off pipes) and running to properly diagnose before you commit to work ,
i did feel the wet patch you left  :D ,but could not work out if it was diesel or thin oil

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2019, 20:20:27 »

I should have got my trolley jack out and looked at Brackley
but being fresh tarmac and an old Omega I did not want the blame for damage (in case the tarmac or your subframe gave way )
It needs putting on a lift , ramp or axle stands ,cleaning ,including removing the engine cover (to check it is not leaking from the filler cap or leak off pipes) and running to properly diagnose before you commit to work ,
i did feel the wet patch you left  :D ,but could not work out if it was diesel or thin oil
leak off pipes are ok . i have since put a new filler cap on. an oil change was only done on the saturday prior to brackley. some spray on gunk & a power wash sorted the lower engine out, but from the front of the engine up to past the oil cooler wasn,t bad anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.