Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Parliament to be suspended  (Read 11411 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Parliament to be suspended
« on: 28 August 2019, 13:06:58 »

The tin pot dictator ( wee krankies words) has done it now.

If only the MPs had done their job properly including Theresa May we could have had a proper deal including free trade by now with no ridiculous backstop.

Popcorn time 🍿 🍿
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Parliament to be suspended
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2019, 13:14:04 »

Yes, it will be an interesting few weeks. Personally I hope that Brexit isn't forced through without recourse to parliament.

I'm pretty sanguine about the UK leaving the EU, its the endless waiting that is more damaging than either remaining or leaving. But from a constitutional perspective, for the government of the day to take away some fundamental rights of all citizens without recourse to parliament would set a troubling precedent.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2019, 13:17:19 »

Been watching this all morning. It's getting a bit out of hand and, no matter what the eventual outcome, this will divide the country for years to come.
British democracy, so admired throughout the world, is teetering on the edge.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2019, 13:39:21 »

The majority of British people voted for BREXIT.

Democracy should dictate we leave the EU come rain or sunshine.

The feeble excuse of an opposition leader, Corbyn, is again showing his disdain for democracy by trying to create a second "Parliament" and block leaving the EU, deal or no deal, against the will of the majority of the electorate.  What have people like him, and many other MP's of different colours, done positively over the last 3 years?  In my opinion sweet FA as they do not wish to obey the will of the people. In their arrogance they think they know better! >:( >:( >:(

I didn't like the man, but at least Boris is really trying hard to "make it happen" as the people wanted! 8) 8) :y
« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 13:41:08 by Lizzie Zoom »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2019, 13:51:19 »

The feeble excuse of an opposition leader, Corbyn, is again showing his disdain for democracy by trying to create a second "Parliament" and block leaving the EU, deal or no deal, against the will of the majority of the electorate.  What have people like him, and many other MP's of different colours, done positively over the last 3 years?  In my opinion sweet FA as they do not wish to obey the will of the people. In their arrogance they think they know better! >:( >:( >:(

I didn't like the man, but at least Boris is really trying hard to "make it happen" as the people wanted! 8) 8) :y

A bit of a disingenuous question no? Ms May actively blocked any discussion with the opposition until she and her team had done all the "negotiating"

It's quite hard to do something positive when you're faced with the situation: "This is the deal I've got, you didn't have a say in it, now let's talk about how you're going to support me getting it through parliament".

Which is basically what she did...

Also, for clarity, 17.5m is not the majority from a population of over 65m. The referendum result is what it is, and should be honoured, but let's be clear about what we are talking about.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 13:54:17 by jimmy944 »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2019, 13:52:25 »

A small majority of British voters voted for Brexit. The small majority is OK, because that's how voting (at least in the UK) works. But NOBODY involved defined what Brexit meant, how it was supposed to happen or any details. And that is why the last three years have been such a oppsup, because whatever is said or negotiated, it is and isn't "the Brexit I voted for."

Parliament is trying to define the undefinable, so that arrangements can be made. It is doing its job, and isn't the problem. That should have been sorted three years ago with a properly reasoned referendum. Suspending Parliament because of that is a very bad idea with no upside. We should not accept any excuse(there are no reasons) for it.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2019, 13:56:29 »

A small majority of British voters voted for Brexit. The small majority is OK, because that's how voting (at least in the UK) works. But NOBODY involved defined what Brexit meant, how it was supposed to happen or any details. And that is why the last three years have been such a oppsup, because whatever is said or negotiated, it is and isn't "the Brexit I voted for."

Parliament is trying to define the undefinable, so that arrangements can be made. It is doing its job, and isn't the problem. That should have been sorted three years ago with a properly reasoned referendum. Suspending Parliament because of that is a very bad idea with no upside. We should not accept any excuse(there are no reasons) for it.

Eh, the timing of the Queen's Speech? ::) ::)

I voted to remain, but now, after what has been happening in the EU and with our politicians, I am more than happy to allow the BREXIT the majority of people who voted and wanted, to happen (that is what the result DID mean) , and happen as soon as possible!

It is a disgrace that it has taken our politicians so long! >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 14:01:07 by Lizzie Zoom »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2019, 14:51:37 »

I'll remind you all again, under the British constitutional PARLIAMENT is sovereign, not the people. The people can vote for whatever they want, and this may or may not get parliament to do (or not do) something, but the constitutional buck stops with Parliament. There is no requirement that Parliament "obey the will of the people".

Yes the people voted for BREXIT, but parliament does NOT have to take any notice. Arguments to the contrary misunderstand the constitution. Now you can argue for constitutional change if you wish, but as things stand I suspect suspending Parliament against the wishes of Parliament is going to end up in the constitutional courts pretty quickly.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2019, 15:04:29 »

Ahem, we do NOT have a Constitution in Britain: ask the Queen.

Ron.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2019, 15:10:26 »

Ron.

Actually, we do, the constitution is the set of rules that sets out the governance of the country. We don't have a written (or codified) constitution like the USA do, ours is based on precedent and is principles based but it is a constitution nonetheless.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2019, 15:21:33 »

Ron.

Wrong. We don't have a written constitution like the Yanks, but a constitution based on laws passed by Parliament.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2019, 15:31:46 »

Here we go again. Parliament voted in favour of a referendum and stated that they would carry out the result of it. At this point, Parliament handed its decision making power in this matter to the people. Parliament voted to enact article 50, and so voted to enact the result of the referendum.
They had little chioce but to do this as they couldnt be seen as only willing to carry out the result if the people gave the answer they wanted them to. So, despite voting to enact article 50, and therefore leave the EU, they have been squirming, twisting and turning in every anti democratic way they can imagine to attempt to kill the process by any method possible, as long as it wasnt overt.
Taking the final steps out of the hands of Parliament at this time in order to allow its previous decisions, and the referendum result to take place, is possibly the most democratic thing that could happen at the present time.
Our current Parliament is very anti democratic, and the sooner it is gone the better. Hopefuly there will be an election, sooner rather than later.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2019, 15:38:38 »

Agreed almost entirely, Albs, except that it wasn't exactly covert - we all sussed them out!
Go Boris, and get the job done that the woman could not. :y

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2019, 16:36:06 »

It's like watching a game of chess.  :)

Yesterday the various remainer parties gathered at Church House to announce their Anti-No Deal Alliance, which really means the Anti BREXIT Alliance and today Boris gets the Queen to prorogue Parliament to limit the time they have to act, which probably means they will have to resort to a vote of no confidence.  ::)

I've read elsewhere that with Parliament being suspended for the conference season anyway, the prorogation only takes away 3 days of Parliamentary business.  ;)  Not that you'd know that, what with all the outrage in the remain-stream media....  ::)

« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 16:51:41 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2019, 16:42:43 »

The tin pot dictator ( wee krankies words) has done it now.

If only the MPs had done their job properly including Theresa May we could have had a proper deal including free trade by now with no ridiculous backstop.

Popcorn time 🍿 🍿

Mr varche I thought you were now a Spanish resident, so our policies shouldn't affect you.

Also parliament are acting against the will of the people, and in history this has caused massive unrest, which in modern society won't happen. All Boris is doing is what the people voted for to leave Europe, deal or no deal, and I hope he sorts it out.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.