Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Highway Code rule 243  (Read 3871 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Highway Code rule 243
« on: 22 January 2020, 16:01:06 »

...states, amongst others : Do not park opposite, or within 10 meters (32') of, a junction.
Where is the 10 meters measured from, the centre or edge of the adjoining roadway? :-\
I have asked a Highways Engineer, who was uncertain. So perhaps I am being optimistic asking here.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Highway Code rule 243
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2020, 16:06:17 »

Logic (?) dictates that it should be to the edge of the qadjoining carriageway; that gives most clearance for other road users and more opportunity to persecute prosecute transgressors!

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2020, 16:06:53 »

I believe it is the mid point of the corner radii :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2020, 16:10:11 »

I believe it is the mid point of the corner radii :-\

That sounds sensible, so is probably wrong. ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2020, 17:04:13 »

...states, amongst others : Do not park opposite, or within 10 meters (32') of, a junction.
Where is the 10 meters measured from, the centre or edge of the adjoining roadway? :-\
I have asked a Highways Engineer, who was uncertain. So perhaps I am being optimistic asking here.

Apparently a piece of law that the Wiltshire Constabulary have decided is irrelevant, never enforced, always ignored and damned annoying. I've even tried to report it on "101" .. to be told "parking is the councils responsibility" .... so the Wiltshire Police actualy ignore the Road Traffic Act .....   :(

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2020, 17:36:43 »

Apparently a piece of law that the Wiltshire Constabulary have decided is irrelevant, never enforced, always ignored and damned annoying. I've even tried to report it on "101" .. to be told "parking is the councils responsibility" .... so the Wiltshire Police actualy ignore the Road Traffic Act .....   :(
Write to the times and sign it 'Disgruntled of Wiltshire'.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2020, 17:45:26 »

As I understand it, in the wording of the Highway Code, MUST NOT means it is legally enforceable and have the relevant law reference printed beneath. DO NOT rules, and breaches thereof, are dealt with by the Local Authority under the Road Traffic Act 2004, and fines up to £75 may be imposed for such breaches.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2020, 17:49:08 »

As I understand it, in the wording of the Highway Code, MUST NOT means it is legally enforceable and have the relevant law reference printed beneath. DO NOT rules, and breaches thereof, are dealt with by the Local Authority under the Road Traffic Act 2004, and fines up to £75 may be imposed for such breaches.  :y
If that law, or the law about parking on pavements was enforced around here, or in any urban conurbation, no one would be able to get within half a mile of their house and the roads would be impassable.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2020, 17:57:35 »

Yes, it is the local authorities responsibility, but for years I have yet to witness any of the very many vehicles that are parked in such a way to infringe that law ever to be ticketed.

With the parking situation in any town or city now, especially in the suburbs, with so many vehicles having to find parking space, unless their are yellow lines(which are again the responsibility of the local council) it is now not enforced. ::)

Unless the parking is causing very real public danger, the police will not usually get involved as they are very busy with other more important criminal matters.  Even untaxed vehicles that are parked on the road usually only get the attention of the DVLA clamper units. ;)
« Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 18:01:56 by Lizzie Zoom »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2020, 19:22:45 »

I suppose we'll have to wait until some poor unfortunate individual is knocked over and killed whilst having to walk around an illegally - and selfishly - parked vehicle that is blocking the footpath ..... 

I've been driving for over 50 years and can honestly say I have NEVER parked on a footpath... I was taught not to by my driving instructor who also taught me that the car is NOT king .. the pedestrian is  ....

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2020, 19:58:20 »

I suppose we'll have to wait until some poor unfortunate individual is knocked over and killed whilst having to walk around an illegally - and selfishly - parked vehicle that is blocking the footpath ..... 

I've been driving for over 50 years and can honestly say I have NEVER parked on a footpath... I was taught not to by my driving instructor who also taught me that the car is NOT king .. the pedestrian is  ....
Oh dear, terrible world we live in  ;D
« Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 20:02:00 by STEMO »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2020, 20:03:21 »

Pretty abysmal response .. even given your usually low standards ...   :)

(responded pre his edit .. :) )

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2020, 20:05:43 »

Pretty abysmal response .. even given your usually low standards ...   :)
Ok..shut up you silly old fool and get a f**king life. The police have got better things to do than run around after the local busybody. Better?  :)
Oh dear, answered before your edit. Now I've done it, I'll fall foul of forum rules, no doubt.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 20:09:26 by STEMO »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2020, 20:10:53 »

At least you have posted your original "highly intelligent" comment for all to see ..... really enlightening comment ..... :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.