Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Any motorhome owners on here.  (Read 9210 times)

2boxerdogs

Any motorhome owners on here.
« on: 14 May 2019, 21:05:42 »

Looking like we are in for quite a windfall from a relative who died a few weeks ago & left wifey a property in SW2 valued at around £400,000. We have had caravans for a number of years & always fancied a motorhome anyone on here up to speed on them ?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Any motorhome owners on here.
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2019, 22:36:59 »

As a caravan owner/user I have several friends with motorhomes, and when we toured New Zealand we hired one so a few points worth considering, perhaps...

1. Cost - much higher costs as you are buying a truck that has been modified by sticking the accomodation on the back. It WILL require taxing, motor insurance as well as habitation insurance, servicing costs can be high as many independent garages don't have the facilities to get a truck that high onto lifts.

2. Ease of use - many motorhomes are quite a bit smaller internally than a caravan, so can feel cramped. If you have friends in there is usually very limited space for seating more than a total of 4.

3. Mobility - there are two sides to this... a) If you tend to stay in one place for a while and use it as a base to visit other places (hub and spoke sort of idea) then it can be very inconvenient to have to pack up everything to go out for the day, and many supermarket car parks have very limiting height rules - this can be overcome by taking a small car with you .. but that is yet a further cost, and not a small one !! b) If you continually move from place to place (as we did when touring New Zealand) then a motorhome is ideal as the setting up/ preparing to move times are much smaller than preparing a 'van to move

4. Facilities - due to the limitation on size many motorhomes have small dual-purpose showers/toilets, smaller hobs/ovens and very little worktop space. If you buy one with an "over cab" space think about the ease of actually getting up there to use it !! IME the "ladders" are extremely flimsy and not easy to use !

There are those that swear by motorhomes, and those that wouldn't touch one, I think they both have a place, dpending on the lifestyle you want. I wouldn't swap my van/towcar for the type of holidays we have in UK/Europe, but there is no way I would use such an arrangement to tour New Zealand/Australia, that would be a motorhome everytime.

HTH, just my thoughts, nowt else :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2019, 22:48:12 »

As a caravan owner/user I have several friends with motorhomes, and when we toured New Zealand we hired one so a few points worth considering, perhaps...

1. Cost - much higher costs as you are buying a truck that has been modified by sticking the accomodation on the back. It WILL require taxing, motor insurance as well as habitation insurance, servicing costs can be high as many independent garages don't have the facilities to get a truck that high onto lifts.

2. Ease of use - many motorhomes are quite a bit smaller internally than a caravan, so can feel cramped. If you have friends in there is usually very limited space for seating more than a total of 4.

3. Mobility - there are two sides to this... a) If you tend to stay in one place for a while and use it as a base to visit other places (hub and spoke sort of idea) then it can be very inconvenient to have to pack up everything to go out for the day, and many supermarket car parks have very limiting height rules - this can be overcome by taking a small car with you .. but that is yet a further cost, and not a small one !! b) If you continually move from place to place (as we did when touring New Zealand) then a motorhome is ideal as the setting up/ preparing to move times are much smaller than preparing a 'van to move

4. Facilities - due to the limitation on size many motorhomes have small dual-purpose showers/toilets, smaller hobs/ovens and very little worktop space. If you buy one with an "over cab" space think about the ease of actually getting up there to use it !! IME the "ladders" are extremely flimsy and not easy to use !

There are those that swear by motorhomes, and those that wouldn't touch one, I think they both have a place, dpending on the lifestyle you want. I wouldn't swap my van/towcar for the type of holidays we have in UK/Europe, but there is no way I would use such an arrangement to tour New Zealand/Australia, that would be a motorhome everytime.

HTH, just my thoughts, nowt else :)

Like Entwood I have a caravan(6 berth twin axle) and  we also use father inlaws Bessacar 6 berth campervan,the points made are very valid as camper has much less space than the caravan even though externally as big,I do prefer the campervan in France as they are very geared towards them but in UK I prefer the caravan,biggest problem with the camper is that you have forward plan small villages due to physical size of the camper and finding somewhere to park 30 ft length can be awkward .
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2019, 23:28:14 »

£400k buys quite alot of motor home...

https://www.anglo-americanrv.co.uk/used-motorhomes/holiday-rambler-sceptre-roadmaster-iver-201811262760206

Starter for 10, but you get the idea ;)

Also most European ones are lightly built on chassis that are crap from new... Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat.

For your budget VanHool would probably build you a very nice coach conversion https://www.vanhool.be/en/specials 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2019, 23:50:36 »

In my opinion, I would go for one of these:
http://fifthwheelco.com/

It would mean swapping the TerribleCan for a Ranger or similar but c'est la vie  :y

We saw a few (4-5 total) while we had our six month homeless period and they looked the absolute business. You'd better have your reversing A-Game on though as you can't (as easily) get one of those cheaty motor-mover jobbies. You can buy 'Lightweight' american ones that have been converted for UK use and clock in under the 3.5T limit. For example:

https://www.thesttgroup.com/shop/caravans/2017-eurocruiser-955/

8)
« Last Edit: 14 May 2019, 23:54:19 by jimmy944 »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2019, 06:58:13 »

And the one thing that catches all posh weekend pikeys out is have you got the correct license class to drive it.espically if your going to put a trailer or car behind it.
Hoof'land storeman.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2019, 07:35:59 »

I've got a friend whose got a motorhome, he has to choose sites in the UK that have a bus stop outside the main gate.
I like red cars

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2019, 07:37:31 »

And the one thing that catches all posh weekend pikeys out is have you got the correct license class to drive it.espically if your going to put a trailer or car behind it.
.  No problems licence wise.😎 Wifey has already said she wants a new Aygo to tow behind it so no problems with getting about.

« Last Edit: 15 May 2019, 07:39:18 by Tilbo »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2019, 08:29:54 »

I don't think that's generally a problem for most of old farts here, though I'm pretty you need a medical to retain the 7.5 ton part when you reach 70

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2019, 09:20:40 »

Other than myself and Tinnie, I think all the old farts on here can drive more or less what they like.  ;D

One word of warning on the car thing. AFAIK the tow hitch design where the car is pulled along on its own wheels are illegal on mainland Europe and Les Fuzz will be happy to help you empty your bank account  ::) so you'll need a trailer too.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2019, 09:43:42 »

I don't think that's generally a problem for most of old farts here, though I'm pretty you need a medical to retain the 7.5 ton part when you reach 70

Oi, I'm not that old :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2019, 11:03:12 »

Oi, I'm not that old :-\
Neither am I
As for the farts.. Guilty as charged. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2019, 11:19:26 »

.  No problems licence wise.😎 Wifey has already said she wants a new Aygo to tow behind it so no problems with getting about.

I would check 1st, and also check the weights, when towing. You might be able to drive 7.5t but have you got trailer entitlement.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2019, 13:56:29 »

I would check 1st, and also check the weights, when towing. You might be able to drive 7.5t but have you got trailer entitlement for over 750kgs...
Also if you get a proper motor home and not one of those inflatable Boxers, you'll be needing a C license and the +E for the trailer... So budget another £4k for both of you to do those :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2019, 16:41:17 »

I would check 1st, and also check the weights, when towing. You might be able to drive 7.5t but have you got trailer entitlement for over 750kgs...
Also if you get a proper motor home and not one of those inflatable Boxers, you'll be needing a C license and the +E for the trailer... So budget another £4k for both of you to do those :y

Both licences completely A Okay . Both passed our tests in 1971 things were sensible back then and the powers that be weren't such moneygrabbing bastards.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2019, 16:44:59 by Tilbo »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.