Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice Classic Standard  (Read 7317 times)

omega3000

Nice Classic Standard
« on: 18 November 2012, 20:40:26 »

I like the old classic cars "thats why i bought the omega" ;D But this one really is nice STANDARD  :)

Never heard of this make , too young  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Classic Standard
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2012, 20:46:08 »

Standard bought and merged with Triumph. That's why many Triumph parts are marked 'Stanpart'

My hotrod project to be started next year is a 1939ish Standard Flying 12 drophead convertible. One of probably 6 left.
The owners club is going to hate me, but that's OK.
They're not going to be able to catch me!

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2012, 20:49:36 »

Standard bought and merged with Triumph. That's why many Triumph parts are marked 'Stanpart'

My hotrod project to be started next year is a 1939ish Standard Flying 12 drophead convertible. One of probably 6 left.
The owners club is going to hate me, but that's OK.
They're not going to be able to catch me!

Sounds great nick , hopefully we could have a peek at the project a bit later on  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2012, 21:11:07 »

You'd think the seller would be able to spell the model of his car, especially as it's in big letters on the front!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2012, 21:27:27 »

haha what a gorgeous little car.

this has prompted my old man telling me to look for loads of different cars from his era  ::) :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2012, 23:15:00 »

I like the old classic cars "thats why i bought the omega" ;D But this one really is nice STANDARD  :)

Never heard of this make , too young  ::)

My parents had a Standard 10 but that was way way before my time.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

acope

• Tamworth Staffs
    • Daewoo Musso...sorry !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2012, 23:26:51 »

Think the Ensign followed on from the Vanguard, and i`m sure they used the engine in the early Triumph TR/2, great big lump of a motor.theses are all my era cars :y :D
ALAN

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2012, 07:41:36 »

That Diplomat is a cracker.
keith B

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2012, 12:19:18 »

Here's one restored  :)

Lovely ..

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2012, 12:30:11 »

I am afraid I knew them only too well, being old enough to remember them going around in large numbers! :D

An uncle of mine had a lovely Standard 10, in red, which I traveled on a number of occasions until he smashed it up and almost killed himself.  He went on to have Triumphs, Herald's and Vitesse

The Standard 10 like my Uncle's:

My Driving instructor in 1970 had one of these a Standard Vanguard if I remember correctly.  It was super to ride in:

:y
« Last Edit: 19 November 2012, 12:36:51 by Lizzie Zoom »

omega3000

« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2012, 13:20:32 »

Well they look like well built tubs to me , worth restoring and driving tax free  :-*

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2012, 13:27:02 »

Well they look like well built tubs to me , worth restoring and driving tax free  :-*

I well remember my old one .. 0-50 (it never EVER reached 60  .. even downhill with a force 9 behind it) in about 3 1/2 hours .... and when it rained you had to keep taking your foot off the accelerator to give a bit of "suck" to the vacuum powered wipers !!

But it had more room on the back seat than the moggie minor had .. and at the time that was a VERY important point.

The standard was swapped for a Consol Mk 1 fairly quickly... as I discovered the benefits of a bench front seat, column gear change and "umbrella" hand brake ......  :y :y :y :y  :D :D :D :D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2012, 13:37:45 »

Yes, I think you are right there; they were well built for their time.  The engines could easily break, and the bodywork would eventually rust badly, with no rustproofing as I am aware.  But that was typical of all cars built in the 1950s and 1960s. 

They were heavy beasts of thick steel, and that is why a number still survive.  If I remember correctly from that time it was the engine that always spelt the end for those cars.  I know my father in law preferred to buy old Austin Westminster's, Humber Super Snipes, and some other larger 1950s, early 1960 cars.  They all died due to engine problems (big ends gone, cylinder head cracking, carburetters wearing out, pistons burning through).  I know the Humber Super Snip (what a lovely heavy beast for me to drive, double-de-clutching with no power steering for three tons of car) I 'broke' when a valve rocker snapped.  There were also a knocking big end, so my father in law decided to scrape it as it was only worth £50! :'( ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #14 on: 19 November 2012, 14:44:08 »

Think the Ensign followed on from the Vanguard, and i`m sure they used the engine in the early Triumph TR/2, great big lump of a motor.theses are all my era cars :y :D

Ensign used the basic Vanguard body shell and was fitted with a 1670cc motor.  It was in fact sold as a basic model against the more up market Vanguard - the Vanguard being fitted with a detuned TR engine (1991 or 2138cc dependant on year of manufacture). A few of the last Ensigns were supplied fitted with the detuned TR4 2138cc motor.

Hope that clarifies  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.