Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega's new feature  (Read 4325 times)

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
Re: Omega's new feature
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2018, 20:16:00 »

Now all breather pipes goes to catch tank and plenum is blocked.

Problem or not but now it is making that creamy oil into pipes that go to catch tank.... I think it is normal as it has done that before but maybe not this much. Any thoughts?
Driving: Vectra - 2002 - 2.2 "GTS" - Manual
Old: Omega - 1999 - MV6 - Automatic
Old: Omega - 1995 - MV6 - Manual

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2018, 09:53:17 »

You're going to get some of that, unfortunately.

The standard crankcase breather system keeps some movement of air through the crankcase under all driving conditions so water vapour from combustion gets purged from the engine. Even still, you can get a little mayo forming when the car is used for short trips.

With a catch tank, all that can happen is that piston blow-by gases can escape via the catch tank but there is no purging of moisture from the crankcase. Not a problem if the car does mainly long trips where everything gets nice and hot and the moisture can eventually evaporate, but it will be more prone to mayo when pottering around.

More regular oil changes might help to an extent.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 October 2018, 08:40:02 »

Washed the pipes to prevent getting it frozen.

Noticed also another bug with the catch tank system now  ::) The smell really gets into cabin when heater on. If I continue using the car regularly trough winter I need to re-install original system or then buy wunderbaums  ;D

My average oil change period is 8000km and I drive about 12000km / year. Mobil Rally Formula 5w-50. So that is probably good.

But have to say that the engine feels very smooth and it is nice to know that the engine gets only clean air. No exhaust gases and no oil fumes.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2018, 09:36:30 »

To deal with the smell, you could try extending the outlet from the catch tank down under the car with another section of pipe. This is how I have it plumbed on my kit car.

Also check that the scuttle panel is well sealed where the two haves join and at the join between scuttle and bonnet, as the ventilation system shouldn't be drawing in air from under the bonnet.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2018, 10:28:41 »

Could also return the breather system to stock ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2018, 05:55:51 »

To deal with the smell, you could try extending the outlet from the catch tank down under the car with another section of pipe. This is how I have it plumbed on my kit car.

Also check that the scuttle panel is well sealed where the two haves join and at the join between scuttle and bonnet, as the ventilation system shouldn't be drawing in air from under the bonnet.

I'm missing those 2 seals that should be installed into bonnet, on both ends of the long seal. (I believe that the part number is 90493700) So that is one reason.

Other than that the scuttle should be good but your explanation of the joins would need a picture to get me understand  ???

Could also return the breather system to stock ::)

Don't be so negative  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2018, 10:05:04 »

I was thinking about where the plastic section of the scuttle meets the box where the pollen filter lives and the join between the two plastic parts here. There is normally foam to form a seal here but it's often deteriorated.

I't good to make sure this seal is sound otherwise you can get water dripping into the 2,4,6 spark plug wells on the engine.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.