Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Wasp Nest

(1/12) > >>

Sir Tigger KC:
A tenant phoned me a few days ago to report a wasps nest in the attic and they were getting into a bedroom!  :(  I went round the next day and they'd chewed a hole in the ceiling and were dropping into the room one after another. It was like something out of a horror film!  :o  ;D

The loft hatch is right over the stair well and is only accessible with ladders, so I went back today (with ladders) to have a gander in the attic.  I couldn't see the nest but there was a hump under the insulation right where they are dropping into the bedroom and close to where they can be seen coming and going outside.

While I was stood on the ladder and halfway through the hatch into the attic, shining my torch onto this hump, they obviously became aware and started to emerge one by one, each one emerging quicker than the last and were flying straight at me! Aggressive little buggers!  :o 

I beat a hasty retreat!  ::)  ;D

I've phoned the council pest control dept but when I described the access difficulties, I was told that they didn't climb ladders etc...  ::)  I'm going to try some private pest control companies tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone here has any bright ideas/DIY solutions?  :-\

I've thought of beating the shit out of the nest with a long length of batten or something, but I'm not sure I could do it and get out quick enough!  :o  ::)   :D ;D

Although I have been offered the loan of a bee keepers suit....  :-\  ::)  ???

Rods2:
STEMO wise advice panel answer 1l: Go up into the loft, shout at them 'be off with you' and beat the bulge with a short stick. What could possibly go wrong? :P :P :P :o :o :o

STEMO wise advice panel answer 2: Pay him and his whippet a generous advance plus travel expenses and he will put his whippet into the loft. Where chasing flies are good, chasing hot stripped chilli flies and eating even better. ::) ::) ::)

More seriously: It is getting to the cold time of year when wasps die off. So personally I would block the ceiling hole plus ceiling area with a sheet of aluminum and 'dare' them to chew through that and then reinstate the ceiling during the winter. Wasps don't nest in the same place twice, but I would use a sealant to block their loft entry & exit hole(s) to make sure in next & subsequent years they don't find a different area in the loft to nest. :y :y :y

Bigron:
Cold could be a clue; after reading Rods2's message, I wondered if the sort of freezer spray that plumbers use might help? Less risky than a stick-and-run approach!
What sort of professional pest controller "don't do ladders"?

Ron.

Viral_Jim:
If it were me, I'd shoot half a can of expanding foam up through the hole they'd chewed in the ceiling. Wait a bit for the fuss to die downl lob a couple of those bug bomb type sprays through the loft hatch at the hump, then beat a hasty retreat!

Again, what could possibly go wrong  :y

STEMO:

--- Quote from: jimmy944 on 13 September 2018, 08:19:32 ---If it were me, I'd shoot half a can of expanding foam up through the hole they'd chewed in the ceiling. Wait a bit for the fuss to die downl lob a couple of those bug bomb type sprays through the loft hatch at the hump, then beat a hasty retreat!

Again, what could possibly go wrong  :y

--- End quote ---
Wear the suit........ ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version