Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ticking noise  (Read 2978 times)

albitz

Re: ticking noise
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2011, 18:46:41 »

Thats not a bad price imo. :y......although not as cheap as 10/40 semi which is perfectly good for road use in a v6. :-/

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2011, 18:46:46 »

was buying direct from vaux dealer until i got an ac delco branded 5ltr instead of the usual gm branded one. Then found my local motorfactor stocked it at £18.  saving a lot on vaux dealers price

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2011, 18:47:46 »

nothing but the best for my omega. lol

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 January 2011, 18:54:36 »

kevin, think ticking gets faster as revs go up but not sure as i have a viper induction kit and performance dual branch exhausts fitted. hard to hear when both of these are sounding as revs go up.  Ticking not always there, coming and going.  would leaky oil pressure switch be causing any problems?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 January 2011, 18:56:19 »

OK, take your car to the dealer and ask him to sort it out and dont be suprised at the bill you get, then if all else fails, take some of the advice from the members on here, who between us do have some knowledge on the v6 engines.
I have seen for myself vx mechanics reuse manifold gaskets when fitting replacment engines to cars, to which i commented on, the answers proberbly wont be of suprise to anyone.Do the easy cheap  things yourself first then post back on here if no improvment.

What brought this on? I can't see the OP saying he won't take advice. :y

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2011, 19:02:35 »

proper GM oil labelled as AC delco
Had a look into it, that appears to be similar spec. But ac Delco is not approved GM oil. Afaict anyway. I think your dealer is pulling your pudding, ESP at those prices tbh. They appear to have sourced their own cheaper but similar spec oil. If so that's a bit cheaky.
But as suggested that's dealers for you.

I would change those plugs as well anyway, do some investigation along the way such as the obvious oil in plug wells, loose plugs will have soot around them as the gasses escape, some rough running is also possible, any water from the scuttle area giving rusty residue.

Odd ball one off thought is somebody posted an issue with a loose cam cap bolt,but I don't think that's likely tbh. It was noticed when changing cam cover seals, so if the seals need doing check for that as well.

Although it's low miles the cam seals also fail after time, did my 60k 03 a couple of weeks ago, and there was oil all round the sump and oil pressure switch where it had run down. Oil pressure switch is known to leak but also consider the far more likely cam cover seals asa likely cause, if so there a good chance there will be oil in the plug wells.

Sorry that's a poorly structured post but I'm watching mega factories. ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 19 January 2011, 19:08:41 »

kevin, think ticking gets faster as revs go up but not sure as i have a viper induction kit and performance dual branch exhausts fitted. hard to hear when both of these are sounding as revs go up.  Ticking not always there, coming and going.  would leaky oil pressure switch be causing any problems?
Could the cat to manifold joint be leaking?

And if youmwant the best for your mig stick to the original intake set up. Nobodys improved on it yet, and are not likely too.

Is it an oiled air filter?

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 January 2011, 19:10:28 »

chrisgixer, I did research on ac delco before i bought.  It is made at Vauxhall's state of the art factory in zaragonza, spain and also belgium

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 January 2011, 19:11:46 »

yes oiled filter and has been fitted for 4yrs with no probs

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 January 2011, 19:13:25 »

whats the best way to check the cat joint.  I take it you mean the 2 bolt join above the pre cats?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 January 2011, 19:16:20 »

chrisgixer, I did research on ac delco before i bought.  It is made at Vauxhall's state of the art factory in zaragonza, spain and also belgium

I've no idea on the oil but as I've said many times before, Heinz make HP beans but they're not the same as Heinz Beanz  ;)

3.2 paisley wagon

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2011, 19:18:26 »

good one andy but it does say on the 5ltr bottle General Motors Zaragonza, Spain.  If you google it you will see thats were vauxhall make their oils

feeutfo

« Reply #42 on: 19 January 2011, 19:22:42 »

The gm listed fully synth 5w30 has been superseded by the dexos2 fully synth. So it's out of date by now afaik.

But the spec is the same as previous. But put it this way, I wouldn't use the Delco stuff tbh. Flickering oil light may well be a symptom, they can be fussy with a gunked up oil pick up. Have you used an engine flush? Please say no!

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 19 January 2011, 19:24:57 »

yes oiled filter and has been fitted for 4yrs with no probs
You risk oil on the maf, which will fleck it. Keep an eye on the fuel trims.

And keep the filter oil to a minimum if pos.

feeutfo

« Reply #44 on: 19 January 2011, 19:29:38 »

whats the best way to check the cat joint.  I take it you mean the 2 bolt join above the pre cats?

Get it up on a ramp/jacked on stands and get someone to hold a rag blocking the exhaust exit while you listen for "futs" along the length of the system. Check ot right up to the manifold to block. If it's had a system fitted all that pulling around and leverage can stress the relevant joints.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.