Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG resurgence?  (Read 4037 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
LPG resurgence?
« on: 17 February 2018, 22:43:38 »

Today, I have been painting the cellars, which leaves plenty of time for contemplation.  ::)

Given that pressure is being brought to bear to limit the ease of use of diesels, but the price of petrol isn’t getting any less, Im thinking there’s scope for an increase in lpg uptake for those of us doing a lot of miles.

Just as an example, I’d really like, when funds allow to move to an auto. 2.0T insignia elite with lpg seems like a decent 60mpg option for about £4-5k.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an uptick in the number of lpg stations over the next few yrs

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: LPG resurgence?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2018, 22:57:12 »

Trouble is, Government are hitting LPG with increased duty year on year so the price difference is reducing. It was 17ppl when I got my first LPG motor about 12 years ago. At the same garage it is now 68 - Petrol hasn’t increased 4 times over in that time :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2018, 23:17:47 »

True! Although I think part of the narrowing of the gap is due to the way the gov’t applies duty, ie Xp per litre. But yes the duty has ramped up!!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2018, 23:19:29 »

One of my concerns as well, my two fill stations near work are 67p now.

Just two years ago they were around 50p.  :(

LPG used to be under half the cost, I remember filling up at 49.9 at Asda High Wycombe. Now generally it's about 119 for petrol and 67p for LPG, so savings not so good any more.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2018, 09:08:36 »

Outside of Londonium, LPG has always been pricey - when I use to work opposite Harry Potter less than a couple of years ago, *all* the stations around there were 20ppl cheaper than the "options" I have here (20 mile round trip to towcester, or 30m round trip to Bicester).

But LPG is still hovering around just over half the price of tractor fuel in these parts.

I don't think manufacturers will jump on LPG bandwagon, as they are investing in, and betting the shop on, milk floats of various varieties.

Small engine, efficient, turbocharged petrols will be the future of the combustion engine in new car designs.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2018, 09:47:26 »

True! Although I think part of the narrowing of the gap is due to the way the gov’t applies duty, ie Xp per litre. But yes the duty has ramped up!!

That’s completely it. The duty differential is being reduced by the government so before long it won’t be as viable, IMO.

I’m not even sure I will convert another car to be honest.  :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2018, 10:57:29 »

Let me see. It's proven technology and the infrastructure already exists. Nope. Won't get any political support at all.

Let's continue to pretend that tractors with DPFs actually work, and that the grid has the spare capacity to charge a significant number of EVs. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2018, 14:38:28 »

That’s completely it. The duty differential is being reduced by the government so before long it won’t be as viable, IMO.

I’m not even sure I will convert another car to be honest.  :-\

Well....governments of all colours are fond of taxing things we don't buy or use at a low rate.

Then things become more popular and.............. :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2018, 14:40:14 »

Let me see. It's proven technology and the infrastructure already exists. Nope. Won't get any political support at all.

Let's continue to pretend that tractors with DPFs actually work, and that the grid has the spare capacity to charge a significant number of EVs. ::)

Alice in Wonderland is a great read. :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2018, 14:51:46 »

I disagree, LPG is cheaper now that it has been for years, currently around 53 to 56p around here against 1.22 for Petrol, thats well under half the price, wasn't that long ago, maybe 3/4 years, if you could get LPG for 70p your were having a result, and it was always priced slightly more than half the petrol costs.  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2018, 14:52:25 »

LPG is still 55.7 at the local Morrison's BUT there is a vicious rumour  that they may be removing the pumps  :'(

The nearest one after that is a 10 mile round trip in the opposite direction to the one I normally travel in and the cheeky barsewards  charge 70 pence a litre  >:( >:(

This is worrying me to the extent that I have spent the last couple of days looking at 530d and E320 cdi estates  :(

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2018, 15:25:57 »

LPG is still 55.7 at the local Morrison's BUT there is a vicious rumour  that they may be removing the pumps  :'(

The nearest one after that is a 10 mile round trip in the opposite direction to the one I normally travel in and the cheeky barsewards  charge 70 pence a litre  >:( >:(

This is worrying me to the extent that I have spent the last couple of days looking at 530d and E320 cdi estates  :(
Thats one of the drawbacks with LPG, the need to having a good selection near you for Price competition, still worth going out of your way to fill up rather than using the default Petrol though.

Is there not a MRH Garage near you TG (normally MRH BP or Esso), not allways the cheapest but they do the LPG up to 10p Accumulater Card which can make it worth while on multi visits.

Cheapest places for LPG in the UK is Birmingham, Bradford, Manchester and East London, its always been competitive in Brum due to the number of Gas Centres around the area, currently sub 49p.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2018, 16:13:42 »

cheapest around here is asda at 51p per litre next one is an autogas place at 60p per litre :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2018, 16:51:33 »

I cannot get any way near those figures, that’s across 3 different stations.  :'(

As per above, only need one to remove pumps, the next nearest can charge what they like  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2018, 16:52:48 »

I disagree, LPG is cheaper now that it has been for years, currently around 53 to 56p around here against 1.22 for Petrol, thats well under half the price, wasn't that long ago, maybe 3/4 years, if you could get LPG for 70p your were having a result, and it was always priced slightly more than half the petrol costs.  :y
Within a 40 mile radius of here, you'll be hard pressed to find LPG sub 69p. That's including large towns like Banburyshire, Oxford, Aylesbury, Bicester, Leighton Buzzard, Milton Keynes, Northampton, Daventry etc.

To make matters worse, around half the LPG stations in that area above - and there wasn't that many to begin with - had their pumps removed when most BP stations had the pumps ripped out...  ...or shortly after that time when a few of the local Shell stations were rebranded to BP.

Within a 40 mile round trip, there are 3 LPG filling stations now - Shell at Towcester (easy to get to, frequently the pumps aren't working), Shell at Bicester (though a complete arse of all arses to get to since Chiltern Slugline tarted up what was Bicester Town station, due to the level crossing having to be down if there is a train in the station (and I hear they've now applied for that crossing to be active for 50mins in every hour :o), and the private Countrywide in Banburyshire (account based, you have a key to allow you to draw fuel).

Hence I now have a tractor  :'(
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.