Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: space saver wheels  (Read 7573 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: space saver wheels
« Reply #45 on: 24 November 2019, 08:37:04 »

When we had the 2.6 saloon & the 2.2 estate changed the steel space savers to matching alloys on both of them, my OCD could not cope with having odd wheels..😎
IME, you could just about get a 16" (225/55/16) in the saloon wheel well, though the cover didn't quite fit.  A 17" (235/45/17) will just about go in the well, but no chance of getting cover on. An 18" (245/40/18), no chance.

I always treated any spare on any car as a space saver in reality, as invariably it would be a different brand, old, and different tread depth, so care had to be observed when using it. And as soon as I got home, I'd get puncture fixed, and put it all back as it was :)
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 November 2019, 11:18:44 »

There was a guy down the road from me that ran his Astra on the space saver for at least a month. ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 November 2019, 11:45:30 »

I'm well acquainted with the space saver spare on my Mundano having had to fit it at least 5 times in the 2 and a half odd years of ownership as the rims leak like fook, despite having had all the tyres removed and the rims cleaned up and even had a 'puncture' fixed recently.  ::)  >:(

Never had this trouble with any car before...  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 November 2019, 12:55:40 »

Fix Or Repair Daily ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 November 2019, 13:10:16 »

When we had the 2.6 saloon & the 2.2 estate changed the steel space savers to matching alloys on both of them, my OCD could not cope with having odd wheels..😎
IME, you could just about get a 16" (225/55/16) in the saloon wheel well, though the cover didn't quite fit.  A 17" (235/45/17) will just about go in the well, but no chance of getting cover on. An 18" (245/40/18), no chance.

I always treated any spare on any car as a space saver in reality, as invariably it would be a different brand, old, and different tread depth, so care had to be observed when using it. And as soon as I got home, I'd get puncture fixed, and put it all back as it was :)

OCD got to have matching brands , when I bought my Merc 4 years ago it had four virtually new Continentals on it the spare was a Michelin which looked in good shape overall but I changed it to a matching Continental asap..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 November 2019, 13:39:12 »

Fix Or Repair Daily ;)

Tried fixing without success, so repair at least weekly is the current programme.  ::)

Might just throw a can of goo in each tyre.  See how that goes ....  :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 November 2019, 14:28:04 »

update - i have managed to obtain two - one is a full size exact match to my original set, but takes all the space in the boot up. toyed with the idea of making a false floor making it level with the top of the wheel, but lost far too much boot hieght.   the other is a 16" space saver . (on its way still ) .that will do.  :y

stock GM 17" alloy wheels fit in the estate wheel well, and although the boot floor sits flat, it doesn't latch in place. Fortunately, gravity holds it down ;)

The 15" steel space saver was the stock wheel on the first, low spec, small engined Omegas.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 November 2019, 15:23:17 »

Just been having a look at the spare on my sons Punto and was surprised to see its a skinny 80km/h spacesaver. The standard tyres are only 165 (or was it 175 ?) x 13 ffs.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 November 2019, 15:33:18 »

Just been having a look at the spare on my sons Punto and was surprised to see its a skinny 80km/h spacesaver. The standard tyres are only 165 (or was it 175 ?) x 13 ffs.
astra H come with stupid space savers and a big spacer to fill the well void , ::)
yet you can fit a full size spare in , which I have on all ours  ;D

i think it's to reduce weight for better MPG

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 November 2019, 16:03:52 »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 November 2019, 16:10:10 »

Morse code Andy ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 November 2019, 16:14:17 »

Morse code Andy ?
:y :y Changed my mind & there's no delete post option  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24 November 2019, 18:18:50 »

OCD got to have matching brands , when I bought my Merc 4 years ago it had four virtually new Continentals on it the spare was a Michelin which looked in good shape overall but I changed it to a matching Continental asap..

Somebody got a good car when you sold the 430.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 24 November 2019, 18:24:07 »

Morse code Andy ?

If so, translation: "I".

None the wiser... :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 24 November 2019, 18:48:43 »

Somebody got a good car when you sold the 430.

It ended up back where I bought it from 4 years ago in Yorkshire, MTSV it's on the website no price as yet.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.