Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bosch Washing Machine  (Read 3728 times)

Taxi_Driver

Bosch Washing Machine
« on: 29 September 2014, 19:04:29 »

My Mums, probably about 5 years old....

She's determined she needs a new one.....so she shall get one...no probs..

But the problem with it, is it keeps tripping the ELCB....apparently is fine spin drying...just on main wash it trips the breaker.

I'm thinking this is most likely the heater element doing this....i cannot understand anything else doing it....as its ok on spin drying.... :-\

So instead of letting Curry's (most likely) take it away to the tip.....do you reckon its worth me taking it away instead and replacing the heater element....see if it fixes it....then keep it as a spare for my old 15yo Bosch (or swap it over)

Anything else likely to cause the ELCB to trip??  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Bosch Washing Machine
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2014, 19:16:16 »

Yep, most likely the element. Worth saving for the sake of a £15 part, especially as many newer machines are getting to be practically throw-away items that are impossible to repair. :y

Worth having a look inside to see if there's any evidence of water leakage on to any electrics first. The motor being a prime example, if it's slung under the drum as most are.

There's often a mains filter on the mains inlet too, Sometimes the capacitors in them can go leaky and trip the breaker. Should be easy to isolate the fault with a megger.

(Currently awaiting bits to get ours back working) >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2014, 19:21:44 »

RCD / ELCB tripping is caused by a neutral / earth leakage.
If as you say it is okay on spin but trips on the heat / wash cycle then yup, i'd be looking at the heater element as kev says
One question though, is the programmer mechanical or digital ?
Sometimes, the mechanical contacts can wear and start to arc which will definitely trip a old ELCB so beware  ;)

As for fixing it up, all depends on the price of the element tbh  :-\

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2014, 19:28:12 »

My daughters Bosch washing machine recently needed the drum bearing replacing so it had to be taken apart..a bit time consuming but an easy job..in doing so we removed the heater element  just to inspect it while it was there in front of us,only to find it was caked in crap and lime scale even though she uses a very well known lime scale remover that is supposed to stop the lime scale..what a complete load of crap and waste of money...Anyway I said at the time if you ever have to replace the element it would be so easy,,,,If you are not sure about doing it I found a video on you tube that made it so easy to do.. :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2014, 21:23:10 »

Remember that an ELCB will trip when there is greater than a 30mA imbalance between live and neutral currents.....that could a neutral to earth fault or a live to earth fault.

Easy way to test is to disconnect the heater element and give it a run.

I cant see it being the filter or it would be tripping on spin and all sorts.  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2014, 06:13:24 »

Remember that an ELCB will trip when there is greater than a 30mA imbalance between live and neutral currents.....that could a neutral to earth fault or a live to earth fault.

I cant see it being the filter or it would be tripping on spin and all sorts.  :y

Thanks for all the replies guys....sounds like its worth having a go at fixing it  :y

I can imagine disconnecting the heater causing another problem, ie wont it stop mid cycle waiting for the water to heat up and not carry on until the water does heat up  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2014, 07:55:07 »

Test it on its coldest setting :y

Rog

« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2014, 09:18:37 »

I'm a firm believer that all "white goods" are designed to have a life expectancy of around five years, even "quality" brands like Bosch.  >:(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2014, 09:22:17 »

Thanks for all the replies guys....sounds like its worth having a go at fixing it  :y

I can imagine disconnecting the heater causing another problem, ie wont it stop mid cycle waiting for the water to heat up and not carry on until the water does heat up  :-\

Maybe, maybe not. On a lot of simpler machines the heater is just powered, in series with a thermostat, during the wash cycle and there is no provision for the timer to wait.

If you're going to disconnect the heater anyway, just check for leakage between element and earth, then you have something conclusive. If it's bad enough, you may see it with a normal multimeter on ohms. Failing that, a megger is your friend.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2014, 09:25:27 »

I'm a firm believer that all "white goods" are designed to have a life expectancy of around five years, even "quality" brands like Bosch.  >:(

The problem is that all (bar a couple) of the "quality" brands also now make cheap shite.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2014, 19:20:19 »

Sssshhh, don't let my dishwasher hear that.

Oh, I forgot, its cheap shite (hotpoint) ;D
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2014, 00:29:22 »

Had a Bosch tumble dryer a few years back, a real Friday afternoon job. Continually blowing overloads etc.
Got dumped after a couple of years and now using my daughters old Electra, still goes ok, or am i tempting fate? ::)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2014, 00:45:08 »

[/quote

« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 00:46:44 by Vamps »

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2014, 00:46:17 »

[/quote

That's about right in our household for washer and dryer, we have better luck with fridges x2 and freezers also x2, my very first auto washer, an Ariston, was still going strong over 10 years later when I left it in a house I moved out of.......... :-\ :-\

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2014, 00:47:09 »

Sorry, not sure what went wrong there...... ::) ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.