Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My jobs to do this winter/spring  (Read 12414 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: My jobs to do this winter/spring
« Reply #45 on: 12 January 2018, 13:06:22 »

Happened to me too!  ::)  >:(  ;D

And yes you'll will need much patience, but keep trying and you will fish it out.  I think I managed to drag it back towards the hole with a bit of wire with a hook bent into the end and poked a large screwdriver with a magnetic end in which got a stronger hold on it and managed to get it out.  ::)  It did take a couple of hours though....   :(

After that I always tied a bit of string to the bolt when removing it or installing it, so I could pull the bolt out of the subframe if t happened again.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12 January 2018, 13:40:07 »

As will I in the unlikely event of me doing the job again.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 January 2018, 09:50:59 »

I always check that I have a spare vertical bolt before embarking on the job.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 January 2018, 11:40:17 »

I have a short list for the Omega this spring / summer. Apart from normal servicing, the only mechanical work I can think off is to fit the rear doughnut bushes I bought over a year ago.
Might replace the front dampers at some point as I think they may be a bit soft, but that then leads to another session of four wheel alignment, and its already been done twice in just over a year.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 January 2018, 11:59:38 »

I have a short list for the Omega this spring / summer. Apart from normal servicing, the only mechanical work I can think off is to fit the rear doughnut bushes I bought over a year ago.
Might replace the front dampers at some point as I think they may be a bit soft, but that then leads to another session of four wheel alignment, and its already been done twice in just over a year.
That's the price you pay for not changing the lot ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 January 2018, 13:40:02 »

I did change the lot but the front legs were a pair of used ex plod that I took a chance on. They were by no means completely knackered, and the plod springs are a great improvement, but I think the dampers are a bit too bouncy and am considering putting a new pair on.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 13 January 2018, 15:22:08 »

Let you off then ;)

If you drive the car, and aren't interested in lowering, then plod springs are a good choice :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 January 2018, 16:38:25 »

Not bothered about lowering, and don't want it all stiff and harsh. Its trying to find that balance of magic carpet ride with nice handling.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #53 on: 13 January 2018, 20:20:27 »

Not bothered about lowering, and don't want it all stiff and harsh. Its trying to find that balance of magic carpet ride with nice handling.  :y
I suggest a small Peugeot, lovely and wafty.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 January 2018, 21:01:22 »

I have one of those grabber type things on a flexi shaft. Worked first time for me when I dropped the bolt into the leg. magnet one just sticks to everything but the bolt

Keith ABS

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13 January 2018, 21:20:06 »

I suggest a small  Peugeot big Citroen, lovely and wafty.

Fixed that for you :y

Big Citroens are the only French car worth considering. Of course, nobody with any sense goes ahead and actually buys one ;D

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 13 January 2018, 21:28:07 »

I suggest a small  Peugeot big Citroen, lovely and wafty.

Fixed that for you :y

Big Citroens are the only French car worth considering. Of course, nobody with any sense goes ahead and actually buys one ;D
Yes, but Albs has his heart set on a 200cc, so I’m trying to make her him feel better about it.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 13 January 2018, 21:47:26 »

The car in question is this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-207-cc-2008-1-6-Blue-Spares-or-Repairs/112739561372?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I wouldn't be seen dead in it, but it will be worth 2 grand in the spring. Will need a head,cambelt kit and water pump.
Second hand heads seem to be rare and expensive though, so I think I will pass.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 January 2018, 22:36:48 »

Hi Malc, I can help with the following;-
2d, 2e, 2g, 3b, 4c, 4d, 5, 6c
Pm me and let me know

Keith ABS

Keith,
I've found what's wrong with the Wiper assembly (Item 5/5a on my list) - photos to follow but it's FUBAR. I'll need to replace the whole wiper linkage and motor. Have you got? and how much, and any chance you can get it here by next weekend? I can pay by bank transfer or Paypal.

Better news is I managed to locate the missing suspension bolt, then manouvre it into a position where I could lasso it with some copper wire and finally drag it kicking and screaming out from the sub-frame. What a ball ache.

Cheers
Malcolm

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26 January 2018, 00:49:54 »

1) Front Suspension. The handling is frankly shocking - steering wheel adjusts the angle of lean rather than the direction of travel.
1a) New Shocks. Will ask at Vx, but even if not NLS I suspect price will shove me firmly down the Bilstein B4 route.
1b) New Springs. If not Vx then what's recommended? I suppose I could use LC spec springs :-)
1c) New Top Mounts. I think these are standard Carlton so I should have these in the stash.

Sooo. Here we go - This is what I ended up with :

1)   SACHS-312294      SHOCK ABSORBER
2)    QH-QCS6061      SPRING, 164MM DIAMETER, 14.25MM THICKNESS, 380MM LENGTH 
3)   VX-90236601      RING,DAMPER,FRONT SPRING,LOWER
4)   VX-90217221      RING,DAMPER,FRONT SPRING,UPPER
5)   VX-90223655      SEAT,FRONT SPRING,UPPER - POWDER COATED
6)   VX-9184897       BUMPER,SHOCK ABSORBER (USED WITH LOWERED SPORTS CHASSIS)
7)   VX-90125125      BOOT,RUBBER,PISTON
8 )   FEBI-03374      (VX-90288206) SUPPORT,SHOCK ABSORBER
9)   (VX-90121275)      BEARING,BALL - (SUPPLIED WITH FEBI SUPPORT - INA MARKINGS)
10)   VX-90251921       STOP,UPPER (REUSED)      
11)   VX-90223654      STOP,LOWER (REUSED)
12)   (VX-90393422)      STOP,LOWER (ABS LOTUS CARLTON SPEC)
13)   VX-11096171 x2      SCREW, HEX HD M12x1.5x55, STEERING KNUCKLE TO SHOCK ABSORBER STRUT
14)   VX-11094488 x2      NUT, HEX, M12
15)   (VX-90251985) X2   SUPPLIED WITH SACHS/BOGE STRUT
16)   MEYLE-6160605575HD   DROP LINK

Comments
1) I decided to go with the Sachs Shock absorbers since the belief in these parts is that they are the OEM equipment and hence will produce the closest to standard ride. The other option I considered was the Bilstein B4. However, even though I ordered the Sachs part, what actually came was the Boge 32.M84.F. No Idea if these are better, worse or the same.

2) Spring choice was my biggest problem. All the aftermarket ones list different lengths for left and right sides of the car. This may be correct for LHD (European) cars, but RHD UK spec cars were different to their continental cousins and used the same springs on both sides. The springs that came off my car had Brown-Brown paint marks both sides, were 360 mm long and made from 14.5mm wire . Haynes (3510 section 10.1) claims Brown-Brown were fitted to 6 cylinder cars with air con from 1998 (so sounds correct), and are 373mm long with a 24 N/mm spring rate.

The Quinten Hazel listings on eBay list the QCS6061 as being made from 14.25mm diameter wire and 380mm long. Other options are available, but they seem to use 14mm wire and are 360mm long. Thinner wire will almost certainly produce a softer spring, and I certainly don't want it any softer than it already is. So I plumped for the QCS6061.

When they arrived I measured them. They were 373mm long (not 380mm - but 373 is what Haynes says Brown-Brown should be) and were made from 14.5mm wire. The discrepancy in the wire diameter may be due to the paint/powder coating, but since they actually measured the same as the springs I'd taken off then I'll go with it. They're 13mm longer than the springs that came off - perhaps the old springs have sagged - they are 17 years old after all. 

12) On the Lotus Carlton, the designers changed the lower stop washer from the standard 90223654 to a larger diameter one, 90393422. This stiffens up the top mount a lot. However, the standard 90393422's have a habit of punching through, so thicker versions are available to Autobahnstormers members. That's what I'm using here.

Anyhow, throw it all together and you end up with this :

Hopefully that's Section 1 - The front suspension - complete.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.