Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ex-pod cars  (Read 3497 times)

feeutfo

Re: Ex-pod cars
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2010, 03:26:24 »

I think it's down to a lower geared dif, which are sometimes LSD, and having driven an 03 ex plod that the plod never bought due to a cancelled order, and noticed the engine revs at set speeds like 50 and 70, the revs are about 400 rpm higher, and yes, it's noticeably quicker, and sits noticeably lower on it's springs btw.also noticed a tighter feel from the steering at straight ahead, like the steering box had been tightened a tiny fraction too tight.

Very basic spec, but it was great to drive. :y

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2010, 08:08:28 »

I thought the police used the MV6 spec / setup suspension?

Mind you if we see police Omegas wizzing around town, 70mph in a 30mph we're going to think they are fast.

My friend showed me his new Astra (the fast one, is it a VXR?). Anyway he asked what I was driving to which I showed him my car, 3.0 MV6 Omega, his first thought was 'police car, they're fast them.'

Even though his VXR would have killed my mig in a race.

So there is something in the air about Omegas and them being police cars and fast lol. A skooby wouldn't race me the other day, can you believe it?

I'm thinking it is around 8 seconds to 60, super unleaded makes a difference.

Very fast after 70 lol - raced a merk over 70 and he shit it lol.

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2010, 15:07:20 »

So there is something in the air about Omegas and them being police cars and fast lol

Anyone of a certain age spent about 10 years thinking that there was a good chance of any dark coloured Omega on the motorway being an unmarked police car.. it's still the first thought when one creeps up behind me on the motorway today, even though they long switched from Omegas around here.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2010, 22:44:56 »

i have two ex-plod Omegas. Whilst I can say that they've been serviced regularly, the quality of the work done to both cars is the worst I've ever come across.

as an idea, one even had a bunch of live wires toed together and shoved under the carpet - still live.

police cars make great transport if you don't mind a thorough overhaul before you use them, and don't want toys - both ideal for me. But I'd shudder at the thought of getting one with the intention of getting straight into it as a "daily-driver"

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2010, 23:24:57 »

i've had 2 ex plod 3.2 migs.
first one showed 115k and came from devon and cornwall, with no history. when i contacted them to get the mileage of any belt changes i was told, and i quote:
'i have to confirm that we owned that vehicle, as it was registered to us. i cannot confirm any history of that vehicle as that would imply some sort of guarantee'.  :-X
second one came from thames valley, with 99k and a full printout, including new battery and alternator 2 months previously, and 100k service just carried out. oil was still clean. :)
as i understand it, WA51YNG is still going strong at 180k+ :), OU54AEW is awaiting suspension work and a cambelt service, both time and money dependant. :-/
would i buy another? of course. :y

Road Hog Mad

• Intermediate Member
  • Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2010, 10:09:47 »

I think I saw one for sale on ebay once with all the kit still on it, even had the flashing lights.

Not sure if it was a copy of a police car though.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2010, 16:41:45 »

I think it's down to a lower geared dif, which are sometimes LSD, and having driven an 03 ex plod that the plod never bought due to a cancelled order, and noticed the engine revs at set speeds like 50 and 70, the revs are about 400 rpm higher, and yes, it's noticeably quicker, and sits noticeably lower on it's springs btw.also noticed a tighter feel from the steering at straight ahead, like the steering box had been tightened a tiny fraction too tight.

Very basic spec, but it was great to drive. :y

I think the basic spec makes them faster as well,all the toys in the elites,leccy seats and suspension pumps and self levellers and such like all add weight
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 August 2010, 17:11:17 »

Been told most forces used to re chip them, my thinking is a lower ratio diff with a remap would have the edge over standard.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2010, 17:14:56 by zirk »

harpersimon

• Marlow, Bucks
  • Live fast, Die young - leave a good looking corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 August 2010, 18:03:14 »

My uncle had one as an unmarked plod car for years. I remember it being v quick and it was serviced and maintained to an insane level - new wiper blades when the oldones got wet sort of thing... however now I own one, I can't say it was any quicker than mine. I don't think they are anything more than well looked after production models with some more radios:-) - but well looked after is a plus point. Go for it.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 August 2010, 18:44:00 »

Been told most forces used to re chip them, my thinking is a lower ratio diff with a remap would have the edge over standard.

Bet they didn't.....   Not by the force concerned, that is.  Perhaps a different map from the manufacturers (and thats doubtfull, in my experience).  That said, I do know of at least one T5 that was chipped by a couple of Trafpol simply because they knew a man that knew a man....

Best bet is simply that they are poverty spec and got The Big Stick right from day one week one as opposed to slowly steady running in procedures.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2010, 19:36:22 »

I was always told run a new car in as you're supposed to and get a long lived engine, rag it from new and it will be faster but may not have as long a life. But as new engines are supposed to be run in on the bench I wonder if this is as relevant nowadays?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 August 2010, 20:34:28 »

I was always told run a new car in as you're supposed to and get a long lived engine, rag it from new and it will be faster but may not have as long a life. But as new engines are supposed to be run in on the bench I wonder if this is as relevant nowadays?

Fair point and well made.   :y

All the Police want is it to be cheap at the first instance (normally circa 30% of standard book price!) and then last a couple of years and 100k plus miles or so.  Then, await it to be eagerly snapped up by folks who want one 'cos its been chipped and faster than a fast thing, innit......

Police dont care if it lasts or not, TBH.  If it breaks, it will be fixed.  If it doesn't then, at end of life, will be used as a T-pac training car, skid correction, bandit car whatever before it will be sent to the block and they will happily take what they can. ;D
« Last Edit: 16 August 2010, 20:36:15 by hotel21 »

Iain

« Reply #27 on: 16 August 2010, 20:52:31 »

I know a guy who got a 'G' reg Senator from Strathclyde Police,   G*** TYS i believe,
It was based at Greenock and he got it because his mate was a mechanic there and this particular Senny had came in new, its factory 24v engine removed and wrapped up on a pallet and put on a shelf and a replacement engine installed(i dont know anything about the replacement plant).
When it was de-commisioned, the original engine was taken out the pallet and returned to TYS...
So he got a ragged Senny with an factory engine which had only done a few miles!

Exec

• Poland, Radom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 August 2010, 10:51:14 »

Hey, i've got a little question... :)

take a look at this one
http://otomoto.pl/opel-omega-omega-mv6-3-2-anglik-kombi-v5-C14684855.html

it seems to be ex-pod (3.2 manual)

but interesting is it has mechanical throttle and egr, so it has to run on motronic 2.8.1

Does any 3.2 ex-pod manual miggy run 2.8.1, or there's something wrong with this car (engine swap?)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 August 2010, 10:57:00 »

strange, early for a 3.2 as well I think

someone has added the roofbars, they are not standard on ex-police...

just checking EPC...

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.