Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Oil to use in a 3.2 Omega ?  (Read 1726 times)

3.2 CHARLIE

• View Profile
Best Oil to use in a 3.2 Omega ?
« on: 09 August 2010, 00:29:29 »

Hello , What' the best oil to use in a 3.2 Omega ? Thanks 8-)
« Last Edit: 09 August 2010, 00:29:48 by 3.2_CHARLIE »

markspark

• Bolton
    • View Profile
Re: Best Oil to use in a 3.2 Omega ?
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2010, 00:38:31 »

In my view you can't beat gen Vx oil  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2010, 01:18:02 »

Get yourself a trade club card by joining abs, link below, and enjoy trade club prices on things like oil, £35odd for 20liters of 10w 40 semi synth. Plugs are a couple of quid each.

Not all tc prices are cheapest, but def worth £20 for the card.

Hth :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2010, 09:39:08 »

The specified oil is the GM Fully Synthetic 5w30. About £50-£60 for 20 litres on trade club.

If you are going to ignore the daft 20k service interval and change the oil at least every 5-6k miles (which is the recommendation here) the 10w40 will be fine at £30 odd for 20 litres.

If the oil is going to be in there longer I would stick with the 5w30.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2010, 10:32:33 »

The specified oil is the GM Fully Synthetic 5w30. About £50-£60 for 20 litres on trade club.

If you are going to ignore the daft 20k service interval and change the oil at least every 5-6k miles (which is the recommendation here) the 10w40 will be fine at £30 odd for 20 litres.

If the oil is going to be in there longer I would stick with the 5w30.

Kevin
:o - I think I'll stick to my 3k ;D

I my new 3.2, thats gonna need a load of 1k changes....
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2010, 10:42:30 »

:o - I think I'll stick to my 3k ;D

I my new 3.2, thats gonna need a load of 1k changes....

I did say "at least". ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

GaryBC

• Intermediate Member
  • Egham, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2010, 10:42:40 »

It's funny as I was going to ask a similar question!

The car handbook (W reg, 2.5 CD auto) specifies a whole range of oils depending which latitude you live at - but for the UK climate it says (if I remember right) either 10w-40 or 5w-30. What it doesn't do is tell you how to choose between the two grades!

So, what would make me select one over the other and why?

Cheers,
Gaz

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2010, 10:48:26 »

So, what would make me select one over the other and why?

The grade isn't all that important, IMHO. The engine is specified to run on either. If it's got a lot of miles under its' belt it might be better to go for the 40 grade oil to minimise oil consumption.

The big difference between the two oils is the life. If you're going to change it every 3k the 5w30 is a waste of money. If you're going to leave it longer it's a good investment.

Kevin

GaryBC

• Intermediate Member
  • Egham, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2010, 10:51:54 »

Aha! So, in a nutshell, the thinner oil lasts longer but the thicker one is better in the older engines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2010, 11:01:49 »

Aha! So, in a nutshell, the thinner oil lasts longer but the thicker one is better in the older engines.

Yes, in a nutshell. Plus the fact that if it burns oil you don't want to be constantly topping it up with the expensive stuff.

The 5w30 was designed for the 20k service interval, because an oil was required that is still giving some level of protection at that mileage. ;D

Let's say you can double the mileage between changes, but the oil costs double anyway. :-/ If you can do DIY changes for the cost of an oil filter there's little point.

Having used both (the Westfield needs a decent 5w30 so that's what I tend to buy) if I change the oil after 5 or 6 K and it was the 10w40 previously, I notice the difference from the driver's seat, and the oil that comes out is thin, black and smells horrible. If it was 5w30 I don't notice the difference and the oil comes out as it went in, just with a little more colour.

Very subjective and I can't tell what's actually happening inside the engine, but just my thoughts.

Kevin

Brucie1946

« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2010, 14:58:00 »

I use silkolene pro s 10w50 fully synthetic, as recommended by oilman, quietens engine and is used by the likes of lancer evo club etc.  Paid about 30 odd for 5 litres and had spare from before to make up the 6 litre capacity.

Vaux oil good n cheap on tc, but you can get better!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2010, 15:07:34 »

best one I used so far was 0-40 Mobil 1..

miggies engine was so silent that I could only understand from the rpm needle ;D

ok .. where is my comission ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2010, 16:02:44 »

I use silkolene pro s 10w50 fully synthetic, as recommended by oilman, quietens engine and is used by the likes of lancer evo club etc.  Paid about 30 odd for 5 litres and had spare from before to make up the 6 litre capacity.

Indeed you can, but I'd wager 3 lots of cheaper TC (but still quality) oil every 3k is better than a far more expensive oil every 10k ?  :-/
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2010, 18:07:29 »

Indeed you can, but I'd wager 3 lots of cheaper TC (but still quality) oil every 3k is better than a far more expensive oil every 10k ?  :-/

Yep, and 10w50 is more viscous than specified for the GM V6. It would be a great oil for track use where it's running hotter than designed but not as an every day driving oil, especially in an engine with an oil cooler where the oil won't run very hot under any circumstances in normal road driving. IMHO at any rate ;).

For a road car it's hard to beat the GM stuff for cost effectiveness. Doesn't mean you can't pay more but can you quantify what you're gaining by doing so other than by word of mouth or marketing propaganda? How many Omegas die due to oil-related engine wear as opposed to tin worm, cam belt failure, accidents, etc?

Anyway.. This is an oil thread. Remember them? :-X

Kevin

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 August 2010, 18:09:17 »

Yep, and 10w50 is more viscous than specified for the GM V6. It would be a great oil for track use where it's running hotter than designed but not as an every day driving oil, especially in an engine with an oil cooler where the oil won't run very hot under any circumstances in normal road driving. IMHO at any rate ;).

For a road car it's hard to beat the GM stuff for cost effectiveness. Doesn't mean you can't pay more but can you quantify what you're gaining by doing so other than by word of mouth or marketing propaganda? How many Omegas die due to oil-related engine wear as opposed to tin worm, cam belt failure, accidents, etc?

Anyway.. This is an oil thread. Remember them? :-X

Kevin

I was thinking that... Haven't seen one for quite a while though :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.