Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question of Temperature  (Read 1027 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
A question of Temperature
« on: 24 November 2019, 15:15:55 »

Firstly I don't have a problem with this..well I hope not..but something that has bugged me for as long as I can remember so would appreciate the correct understanding of this.

After a mile or 2 from cold start Temperature gauge always sits at 85 degrees stable and rarely moves up or down even if I give engine a hard time except when air temperature is 20+ mid summer and pushing hard up steep inclines.Thermostat was replaced year /18 months ago more as a matter of fact and is working as it should.On idle you can feel sudden hot rush through top hose but never seem to be able to get main engine cooling fan to come on at idle again only in mid summer but from my understanding coolant is circulating and have no problems with heater.

My understanding is the thermostat has temperature band of 92 degrees which I imagine is when it is fully open but if the internal dash gauge never gets to the temperature (again excepting how in accurate dash gauges can be ) does that mean the thermostat is never fully open.

Somebody with a concise understanding and the willingness to spend couple of minutes on the keyboard explaining to me would be really appreciated.

Again I don't think I have an issue with temperature etc but would just like to know

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: A question of Temperature
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2019, 15:32:22 »

The gauge isn't accurate. It's just to show that the engine is or isn't(either way) at its operating temperature.
The ECU's sender is a lot more accurate, so you could use a code reader(your 3.2 is OBD compliant so that's feasible) from cold to see just how it warms up, then drops and warms again as the thermostat opens.

But, if it doesn't lose coolant, warms up quickly, the heater works, the gauge runs in the normal position and the radiator fan cuts in and out, then why worry about it?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2019, 16:23:20 »

Cheers Nick...as said wasn't worried just curious why a thermostat temperature of 92 deg but internal gauge has rarely gone above 90 deg.

When I have an hour to spend and nothing better to do will connect to laptop from cold and see what temperature from ecu reads...but I promising you Im not looking for issues just trying to understand why

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2019, 16:34:12 »

The dash gauge is very, very heavily damped.

Plug in a code reader, and it will scare you :D
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2019, 16:35:25 »

the  temperature sensor that runs the dash is different to the engine ECU coolant temperature sensor too ,combined with how accurate the wet stat is ,there will be some discrepancy ,plus 20 years of rot to the earths and electrical system

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2019, 16:42:51 »

Thanks guys...expected as much but just one of those Sunday afternoon ...nothing on the TV ..things !!

I will plug in laptop and no doudt scare myself...but it is all working so heyho
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.