Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New owner questions  (Read 2993 times)

Joe the fish

• Dorset
    • 2002 Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
Re: New owner questions
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2017, 12:59:34 »

Cheers all,
From a spare key I would like all functions to work (remote, boot etc) otherwise I will only have to visit the issue again when/if my current working key gets lost or gives up. Given the prices I have seen banded about there is no need in my opinion for any trickery with the fob electrics and ignition barrel, the total cost is going to be not too hard to swallow.
So who on the forum is best to talk to about programming? Does anyone offer a one stop solution, i.e buy a blank and programming in one hit? I guess the cutting will always have to be done locally unless you want to send a key off.
Dont mind paying a little bit over the odds if I can get it sorted in one hit although would rather not throw money at the stealers lol.

Have looked really hard at my current key and cant make anything out in terms of writing/type on the back is there any other way to check?

Thanks
Joe

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2017, 14:29:02 »

Whereabouts in Dorset are you?

I frequently stay in the Bridport area and could bring the Tech 2 over and program in a new key fob once you've got it. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Joe the fish

• Dorset
    • 2002 Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2017, 14:42:06 »

Oooo! Now thats exciting. I am local enough to Bridport for it to be easily done. Now I just have to find the right fob to order from ebay!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2017, 14:57:56 »

OK. I'm there at least once a month.

You will also need the PIN number from your vehicle's "car pass" to pair new keys with the car. If you don't have this, I believe a main dealer can obtain it for you.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Joe the fish

• Dorset
    • 2002 Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2017, 15:28:34 »

Brilliant thanks, I will send you a PM once I have the new fobs sorted.. becoming slightly more important now as my current fob has just died.. on examination it has a broken solder on one button (unlock) and the boot release button essentially appears to have melted and become completely detached!

I have the car pass thing I believe, assuming its the dot matrix printed info card in my handbook.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2017, 16:17:32 »

Yep, it's a little business card with the details dot matrix printed. :y

The fobs do suffer with the buttons failing and the battery holders also have a habit of breaking off the PCB. They can be fixed easily enough if you're handy with a soldering iron and new buttons are available from Farnell, if memory serves.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2017, 19:09:54 »

The fob will have markings on the back - on the bit where it looks like they should be - but very hard to see, let alone read.  Try looking under different lights, or using a phone to take picture and zoom in.

As I've always said:
Blade and transponder - egay £10
Fob - Dealer £25ish
Programming - ??

The issue I've found with this approach is many key cutters won't cut the key, as they did not supply it.  :(
I've heard people say this, but I've never had that issue.  I've even had one cut a 2nd hand key for my own MV6 (I'd checked there was enough metal on the donor key to still get the profile needed for the MV6), I think he charged £3...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.