Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: air con compressor  (Read 2135 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
air con compressor
« on: 15 May 2019, 19:10:21 »

i noticed yesterday that the pulley on the air con compressor is not spinning as it should. engine running all pulleys spinning but the compressor one was only just spinning & actually did stop for a while. my car has no air-con gas as there is a big split on it. no noise coming from it. so i dont know whats going on

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: air con compressor
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2019, 19:19:21 »

The compressor isn't supposed to work when there's no pressure in the system!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2019, 19:22:41 »

i noticed yesterday that the pulley on the air con compressor is not spinning as it should. engine running all pulleys spinning but the compressor one was only just spinning & actually did stop for a while. my car has no air-con gas as there is a big split on it. no noise coming from it. so i dont know whats going on

Oh dear, I think you may be facing a big expense / a lot of effort to put all that right :o

How long have you had no gas in the a/c system?  How long has it been since the air con last ran?

In my experience the lack of running long term damages the condenser and the compressor.  Without the system running regularly the oil in the system is not circulated, and system rot sets in  :(:(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2019, 19:56:47 »

this^^^^^ NO gas no spinney. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2019, 20:51:26 »

i was under the impression the drive belt would turn the pulley ,. not too bothered about a/c so next belt change i may do away with the compressor. seriously thinking about getting rid of the mig . try & part ex it. it has a full years & 3 weeks m.o.t as it stands.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2019, 20:54:59 »

i was under the impression the drive belt would turn the pulley ,. not too bothered about a/c so next belt change i may do away with the compressor. seriously thinking about getting rid of the mig . try & part ex it. it has a full years & 3 weeks m.o.t as it stands.

The "outer" part of the pulley will always turn with the belt, the "inner" part is linked to the "outer" part by an electro-magnetic clutch and will only turn, thus actually turning the compressor, when there is pressure in the system.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2019, 20:59:25 »

Was going to post what Entwood has said about pulley.If a shorter belt is available for a non-aircon car then I'd fit that and bypass the pulley.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2019, 21:18:13 »

Was going to post what Entwood has said about pulley.If a shorter belt is available for a non-aircon car then I'd fit that and bypass the pulley.

But what is the point of doing that?

As I asked in reply #2, how long has the system been without gas? With a "big split" in the system, and without repairs, with the possible complications I mentioned from experience, the lack of a spinning compressor is neither here nor there until the system is sorted. ;)
« Last Edit: 15 May 2019, 21:20:05 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2019, 21:59:12 »

As I asked in reply #2, how long has the system been without gas? With a "big split" in the system, and without repairs, with the possible complications I mentioned from experience, the lack of a spinning compressor is neither here nor there until the system is sorted. ;)
He's not worried about air con.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2019, 22:57:42 »

He's not worried about air con.

Really :o :o. So why worry about the compressor operating or not? ??? ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2019, 23:23:53 »

Surprise :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2019, 07:56:18 »

I'd imagine from the reading of the original post it's not so much a worry about the compressor working or not per se more that if it's only just spinning-and at one point actually stopped-that it's causing extra drag and possibly even damaging the auxiliary belt-hence my suggestion that as the op is not fussed about having air con he could if a shorter belt is available fit one of those and by-pass the compressor.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2019, 10:26:29 »

I'd imagine from the reading of the original post it's not so much a worry about the compressor working or not per se more that if it's only just spinning-and at one point actually stopped-that it's causing extra drag and possibly even damaging the auxiliary belt-hence my suggestion that as the op is not fussed about having air con he could if a shorter belt is available fit one of those and by-pass the compressor.

Ah, right, thanks Baza :y

I certainly had a compressor on a previous Omega that seized when I was visiting Manchester and stopped me restarting the engine,  So I can understand that, but when you have an aircon system that could work...............  But still, everyone has to work to their own budgets ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.