Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats it made from....?  (Read 2761 times)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Whats it made from....?
« on: 15 August 2014, 08:58:54 »

Hello folks....

Im in a bit of a quandry here, I need to install a radio H/U into my Omega (Im a Radio Ham) and the only safe place I can install it is on the centre console, between my left knee and the gear selector... It is only light weight and not a heavy, I found this to be the most logical place for it to be but need to know what the centre console is made from underneath... Is it just foam all the way through or is there some sort of reinforcement underneath that I could possibly screw into...?

Im not too bothered about screw holes as the Omega is possibly gonna go for scrap when Iv done with it or it eventually decides to completely fall to bits (as it seems to be trying to do at the moment) with rust...

Any help or suggestions gratefully received :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Whats it made from....?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2014, 09:32:11 »

Its reinforced in order to keep its shape, should be strong enough to hold a lightweight setup.

Kind of thinking passenger side might be a better location, does it have a remote mic?, if so glove box?, or if you not worried about holes etc and its small enough what about mounting it under the dash right side where the little receipt flap is near the drivers door?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2014, 10:11:45 »

Can you get to the inside to stick a small plate there to screw into?

???
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2014, 16:52:09 »

I had my Auriga two way screwed to mine with 1/2" M8 self tappers...

There is wiring behind it, so look first. Exactly where you mount it depends on how far foward you need the seat to go... and drivers side is preferred as the fuse box is then dead handy :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2014, 19:44:20 »

Thoughts occurring....
Can you change channels via the mike?
Do you need visual on the rig?
Have you considered siting the rig above the sun visor?

Ron.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2014, 20:05:09 »

About the most stupid place you can put it :o

First decent pot hole and it's in your lap... brake hard or crash, and it's in your skull :-X

If you want to pretend you're driving a truck, then simply buy a truck ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2014, 21:53:05 »

About the most stupid place you can put it :o

First decent pot hole and it's in your lap... brake hard or crash, and it's in your skull :-X

If you want to pretend you're driving a truck, then simply buy a truck ::)

Perhaps stupid of you to assume Bigron didn't intend it to be securely fixed and not just sited there.  See why your user name has been changed to "Doesn't play well with others..."   ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2014, 22:32:15 »

If you want to screw summat above your sunvisor, knock yourself out :y Because it will...
« Last Edit: 15 August 2014, 22:37:47 by Doesn't play well with others... »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2014, 22:41:24 »

Lots of things in front of you in a car that could damage you - thats why most cars are fitted ith set belts and airbags. 

Anybody here ever caught/knocked their head on their sunvisor when it was positioned directly in front of the driver?
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2014, 22:42:36 »

Lots of things in front of you in a car that could damage you - thats why most cars are fitted ith set belts and airbags. 

Anybody here ever caught/knocked their head on their sunvisor when it was positioned directly in front of the driver?
Yep :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2014, 15:18:19 »

Children, children.  No jelly for you tonight.

OP - might be best to put a plate behind it, give it something *decent* to screw into, as Dave DND suggested :y
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2014, 13:23:04 »

Does the radio have a remote faceplate?

If so, mount it in the boot (where it's close to the antenna and away from other electronics) and then mount the faceplate where you can see it without having to look down and distract yourself from driving.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2014, 16:30:52 »

Right folks sorry for the delay in replying, we been away for a wet weekend LOL

Anyhoo, I shall clarify..

The radio itself has a detacheable faceplate that controls the radio, it is connected via a long 6 core cable (AKA umbilical cord) it is very lightweight... The radio itself can be remotely mounted in the boot and the cord ran through the car to the faceplate. The microphone itself controls only up and down frequencies/channels and nothing else except for the PTT switch...

The faceplate itself has its own little bracket that can be mounted almost anywhere - even above your head trucker style.... :) but I dont want it mounted above my head. It will only get used whilst Im parked up as the same rules apply to using a hand held microphone as they do a mobile phone, if Im caught using it whilst driving I can be prosecuted/fines and points on my licence etc...

Only logical place I can think of mounting the faceplate is where Iv asked. I could possibly cut a piece of 1mm aluminium plate for me to screw through the centre console foam and it'll be mounted securely and with minimum damage :)

@ Doesnt Play Well With Others..... the radio itself, Im presuming you thoguth it was a complete unit the size of maybe a stereo... in itself it is, but it cannot be mounted in the roof - so in 1 way your correct in what you say, but in another not LOL Some folk know what Ham Radio equipment looks like, others think they are huge radios that gather dust whilst sat at home.... these days its not the case, as some radios can literally fit in your pocket and you can talk to the world on them... gone are the days of CB and people confusing the Ham equipment with CB's...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2014, 16:37:33 »

Fair dos, in which case, above the climate panel would be a good place to mount the control panel :y

My mike had a cradle screwed to the blank where the boot release switch would be, (mine being an estate).

Regarding use of a handheld mike, they are exempt from hand held device legistlation :y

Obviously, if using it affects your driving, expect to get tugged, and it should be cradled when not actually using it :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2014, 16:43:45 »

I thought about mounting it above the heater control panel, but then thought it'd leave nasty holes behind and Im not 100% on the availability of the MV6 titanium plastics, if they're easy to obtain then I might just mount it there, otherwise it'll be in the foam part by my knee...

I got a pull off a copper a few years ago and he said that I couldn't use a microphone whilst driving... it may be different if I was driving a taxi, but a normal road car I think may be covered under different legislation... I could be wrong, but the lawman who pulled me seemed to know what he was talking about... he let me on my way with a slapped wrist and a good talking to....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.