Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How heavy  (Read 5389 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: How heavy
« Reply #15 on: 04 June 2009, 21:16:17 »

is the 3.0 Vauxhall V6 engine, anyone know?

I believe its very heavy indeed :y, need more than one person to lift it ::)...think you'd need one of those engine lift thingy's...
I know its bloody heavy, it took me, Loo Knee and another bloke who bought an engine off us to sort of lift it into the back of his Punto, the Punto aris was onr the floor ;D

I considering the V6 for an engine transplant in my MX5 but I love the sound of the V8 ::)

;D ;D..could'nt resist I'm afraid ;D...

Why you want to put a V6 or 8 in the hair dryer it's fast enough as it is already  ::) ::).........as long as you can find a short enough airstrip of course ;D
There's no such thing :P

What short airstrip ::).....anyway the car too slow now, that why you want a bigger engine, not drying your hair quick enough like it used too ;D
At least i've got some to dry ;D

There's no need to get jealous about it now ;D ;D
Jealous about what, that my 1.8 hairdresser's car is faster than your tuned V6 or i've got a full head of hair :-* ;D ;D
No and Yes :P........anyway stop changing the topic, are you gonna do a transplant ::)...................
What a hair transplant, I don't need one ;D
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 June 2009, 21:20:41 »

I believe its very heavy indeed :y, need more than one person to lift it ::)...think you'd need one of those engine lift thingy's...
I know its bloody heavy, it took me, Loo Knee and another bloke who bought an engine off us to sort of lift it into the back of his Punto, the Punto aris was onr the floor ;D

I considering the V6 for an engine transplant in my MX5 but I love the sound of the V8 ::)

Why you want to put a V6 or 8 in the hair dryer it's fast enough as it is already  ::) ::).........as long as you can find a short enough airstrip of course ;D

What short airstrip ::).....anyway the car too slow now, that why you want a bigger engine, not drying your hair quick enough like it used too ;D

Jealous about what, that my 1.8 hairdresser's car is faster than your tuned V6 or i've got a full head of hair :-* ;D ;D

I have a distict memory of watching your comb over blowing freely in my rear view mirror a couple of times whilst traversing that runway but it was quite difficult to see, truth be told.

I couldn't see you for the dust thrown up from my recently timed 3.2.....     :P   :P   :P     ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2009, 21:22:15 »

I have a distict memory of watching your comb over blowing freely in my rear view mirror a couple of times whilst traversing that runway but it was quite difficult to see, truth be told.

I couldn't see you for the dust thrown up from my recently timed 3.2.....     :P   :P   :P     ;D
You couldn't see me because its a rear view mirror not a side view mirror ;D
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2009, 21:26:51 »

In yer dreams!!   ;D  After me, you were next....  Three times in a row, if memory serves!   ;D   ;D   ;D 

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2009, 21:28:41 »

In yer dreams!!   ;D  After me, you were next....  Three times in a row, if memory serves!   ;D   ;D   ;D 
Ah but, with an impartial starter I came an easy first ::)
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 June 2009, 21:30:11 »

but but but but.... 

Your ragtop got a misfire??   :-/

8-)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 June 2009, 21:33:20 »

but but but but.... 

Your ragtop got a misfire??   :-/

8-)
;D ;D
Retired

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2009, 22:35:49 »

I've heard around 160 Kg from somewhere IIRC. :-/

That seems plausible.

Kevin

I did some looking around for this and got guesstimates from 160Kgs - 180Kgs

Martin

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 June 2009, 00:15:37 »

I did some looking around for this and got guesstimates from 160Kgs - 180Kgs

Martin

About right, I reckon.

Same league as Rover V8, Cossie YB Turbo, Pinto, etc. - all around 160.

Expect around 120 Kg for modern iron-block 16v - Zetec, C20XE, etc.

100Kg Ish for engines made of cheese (Rover K series), also Toyota 4AGE, Zetec-SE.

Then start the arguments about did you weigh it with ancillaries, etc. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2009, 11:09:14 »

One of my mates who was touring with us in Ireland had a Westfield running a X30XE. Very nice it was, too. 8-) Pictures to follow...

Very interested in this. Would love to see some photos of this!  :)

What was it like with the X30XE? Was the weight / size of the engine an issue at all? And how did it perform? Im still thinking about building a kit car using an X30XE thats all!  ;D
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2009, 11:32:14 »

I'll try to remember to dig them out.

What was it like with the X30XE? Was the weight / size of the engine an issue at all? And how did it perform? Im still thinking about building a kit car using an X30XE thats all!  ;D

He upgraded that car from a Zetec and was happy with the result. I'm not that well acquainted with the driver so not sure to what depths his driving style will have tested the setup, TBH. ;)

However, plenty of Westfields are running around on Pinto engines, which are similar weight (and much less power), ditto the Rover V8. There aren't many drop-in 200+BHP engines around. Most need expensive tuning to get to that level (even a rover V8).

Being a pretty short engine the weight can be kept further back on the chassis than with a 4 pot / V8.

he certainly didn't have the very wide Omega style sump on it. Not sure if it was a Vectra FWD sump or something more bespoke.

He had removed the intake setup and fitted a set of Jenvey throttle bodies with short trumpets which required the V8 style bonnet with a bulge in. IIRC, he was running Omex engine management.

Tubular 3 into 1 exhaust manifolds feeding a pair of side exhausts.

It was a very tidy car indeed.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2009, 13:35:11 »

I'll try to remember to dig them out.

He upgraded that car from a Zetec and was happy with the result. I'm not that well acquainted with the driver so not sure to what depths his driving style will have tested the setup, TBH. ;)

However, plenty of Westfields are running around on Pinto engines, which are similar weight (and much less power), ditto the Rover V8. There aren't many drop-in 200+BHP engines around. Most need expensive tuning to get to that level (even a rover V8).

Being a pretty short engine the weight can be kept further back on the chassis than with a 4 pot / V8.

he certainly didn't have the very wide Omega style sump on it. Not sure if it was a Vectra FWD sump or something more bespoke.

He had removed the intake setup and fitted a set of Jenvey throttle bodies with short trumpets which required the V8 style bonnet with a bulge in. IIRC, he was running Omex engine management.

Tubular 3 into 1 exhaust manifolds feeding a pair of side exhausts.

It was a very tidy car indeed.

Kevin
Ah right... Cant wait to see photos!

Must sound like a different beast on TB's? ;D

Did his car have any Cat's on it by the way? I'm guessing that if I do decide on building a car, I will have to fits two cats? (One on each side). :y
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2009, 14:18:36 »

Did his car have any Cat's on it by the way? I'm guessing that if I do decide on building a car, I will have to fits two cats? (One on each side). :y

It did sound rather nice, as it happens. 8-)

In don't believe it had cats.

I haven't checked the IVA rules recently but it always used to be the case that cat emissions requirements are applied to cars built with engines that dated post-August 1995. They now attach it to the DVLA computer system so it is less easy to argue the toss at MOT time although I believe the MOT manual still states that amateur built vehicles require a visible smoke test only.

But, to be safe, IVA it with a pre-95 engine and (even if you later fit a new engine) the car will not require cats. You will need documentary evidence of the date of manufacture of the engine.

You would need a cat on each branch of the exhaust. They are supposed to carry out an emissions test from each pipe.

Fitting a sports cat in each exhaust is not a major headache but it is an expense and a ball-ache you might as well avoid IMHO, even if you get a junker 1994 engine just for the test and then replace it with something better.

Kevin

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2009, 16:20:42 »

It did sound rather nice, as it happens. 8-)

In don't believe it had cats.

I haven't checked the IVA rules recently but it always used to be the case that cat emissions requirements are applied to cars built with engines that dated post-August 1995. They now attach it to the DVLA computer system so it is less easy to argue the toss at MOT time although I believe the MOT manual still states that amateur built vehicles require a visible smoke test only.

But, to be safe, IVA it with a pre-95 engine and (even if you later fit a new engine) the car will not require cats. You will need documentary evidence of the date of manufacture of the engine.

You would need a cat on each branch of the exhaust. They are supposed to carry out an emissions test from each pipe.

Fitting a sports cat in each exhaust is not a major headache but it is an expense and a ball-ache you might as well avoid IMHO, even if you get a junker 1994 engine just for the test and then replace it with something better.

Kevin

Yes thats what I was thinking... Only worry is how many X30XE's are there that are pre 95? and still run for that matter!  ;D
[size=12]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2009, 16:24:27 »

Yes thats what I was thinking... Only worry is how many X30XE's are there that are pre 95? and still run for that matter!  ;D

True. If you find one and they catch on, you could probably make a fortune pimping it out to kit car builders.  :y

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.