They are like new. Unusually.

chrisgixer

Re: Poly
« Reply #17 on: 18 July 2014, 07:34:46 »

Australia must give much more squidgy handling cars. :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 30 August 2014, 10:39:46 »

During the recent colder temps, the ride has noticeably firmed up.

Driving round East Ham residential areas due to a closed m11(?) the ride was very unpleasant.

But then the roads are ridiculously appalling round there. Massive concrete speed bumps with a very harsh transition. Brick mini roundabouts you have to drive over due to parked cars.

To compensate, Tyre pressure adjustment due I think, but just in time for temps to rise again going by the forecast as Bertha clears off.

Considering re fitting oe rear donuts to get a comparison again.

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 30 August 2014, 10:42:19 »

I wonder at what temp poly melts? And will a microwave do the job?

Thinking about filling voids in oe rubber bushes....?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 August 2014, 11:01:49 »

I wonder at what temp poly melts? And will a microwave do the job?

Thinking about filling voids in oe rubber bushes....?
240° C
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 30 August 2014, 11:07:10 »

I though most folks used something like windscreen glue for filling voids - bonds nicely, stiff, comes in a tube.. rather than trying to melt old bushes in the wife's microwave ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 30 August 2014, 11:08:51 »

I though most folks used something like windscreen glue for filling voids - bonds nicely, stiff, comes in a tube.. rather than trying to melt old bushes in the wife's microwave ;)

Tried sikoflex. Didn't bond at all. Guessing some sort f release agent on the rubber from moulding.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 August 2014, 12:51:02 »

Australia must give much more squidgy handling cars. :-\

There's a lot of long straight roads in Australia, notably the '90 mile straight' on the Nullarbor Plain!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

« Reply #24 on: 30 August 2014, 13:20:56 »

Tried sikoflex. Didn't bond at all. Guessing some sort f release agent on the rubber from moulding.

Also, the sikoflex I used, whatever it was there's a few, was by no means firm when set. So pointless ultimately.

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 30 August 2014, 21:18:26 »

You turned the top pads over :y

I did? :-\
You did ::)

Can't remember that. Although I've packed mine out with the oe rubber pad as well. Just in case the slightly loose poly pad was having an effect. It wasn't, and it's now transmitting some noise.

Point is its packed together as tight as a nuns chuf, but still loose by feel, and looser still at the indicated 27c on the CID when booting it out of a round about.

(By loose I mean a bit more movement than normal. Still not as much as oe in a turn. But more than oe re tramlining (road affecting track of the rear end)
Looks like you found the answer to this today then... :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 30 August 2014, 21:21:01 »

You turned the top pads over :y

I did? :-\
You did ::)

Can't remember that. Although I've packed mine out with the oe rubber pad as well. Just in case the slightly loose poly pad was having an effect. It wasn't, and it's now transmitting some noise.

Point is its packed together as tight as a nuns chuf, but still loose by feel, and looser still at the indicated 27c on the CID when booting it out of a round about.

(By loose I mean a bit more movement than normal. Still not as much as oe in a turn. But more than oe re tramlining (road affecting track of the rear end)
Looks like you found the answer to this today then... :-\

Yes poorly fitted by some idiot ::) ;D. Top pad on rear drivers donut not seated correctly.

However the temperature does affect them.

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 30 August 2014, 21:33:24 »

;D

I suspect that the original rubber components are similarly affected by temperature, therefore any improvement made by fitting poly would apply equally in any given climate :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 30 August 2014, 21:47:32 »

;D

I suspect that the original rubber components are similarly affected by temperature, therefore any improvement made by fitting poly would apply equally in any given climate :-\

No I don't agree there. Rubber bushes are not affected by temp when it comes to driver feel.

Variations in ride hardness is something I noticed before rear donuts where fitted, but with poly fronts. It was defo ambient temp related but I couldn't work out what component was affected. Tyres? Suspension? :-\ it was like taking 5-7 psi out of the tyres re ride feel. But as tyre would loose stability at those pressures it couldn't if been those. Suspension.... Feel a bit thick now I've worked it out, although time will confirm further as temps are due to go up, then winter approaching.

Can't explain why but this minor fault has helped confirm it, to me at least.

The ideal seems to be between 17c and 23-4c. Harsher below. Softer above.

...but as said, will confirm later, just to be sure. :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.