Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Google spy?  (Read 3083 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Google spy?
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2017, 22:47:59 »

Obviously, Google and others have a million and 1 other ways to uniquely identify you.  Google's search isn't free.

To put some context around it, google search runs on several hundred thousand servers.  The leccy bill for each server (power and cooling) will be around £500pa at their (presumably) good rates. These will be connected to thousands of switches and routers, each pulling probably £5k pa in leccy. Then you have bandwidth and transit costs, that puts everything else into insignificance. And staff. And their posh headquarters, and all their global buildings.  Then all the "commercial agreements" with global ISPs to get their content near the end user, that I wont go into for NDA.

So they need to make a shit load of money. And that means tracking you. Understanding you. Understanding your habits.

I've banged on so many times here, internet services ARE expensive to provide, and if *anything* is free, understand the revenue streams involved to pay for providing that service.

Would have thought they would have followed some of thier advertisers and invested in solar power, wind power and hydro power etc and lead by example.  ::) ;D
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2017, 00:09:35 »

Obviously, Google and others have a million and 1 other ways to uniquely identify you.  Google's search isn't free.

To put some context around it, google search runs on several hundred thousand servers.  The leccy bill for each server (power and cooling) will be around £500pa at their (presumably) good rates. These will be connected to thousands of switches and routers, each pulling probably £5k pa in leccy. Then you have bandwidth and transit costs, that puts everything else into insignificance. And staff. And their posh headquarters, and all their global buildings.  Then all the "commercial agreements" with global ISPs to get their content near the end user, that I wont go into for NDA.

So they need to make a shit load of money. And that means tracking you. Understanding you. Understanding your habits.

I've banged on so many times here, internet services ARE expensive to provide, and if *anything* is free, understand the revenue streams involved to pay for providing that service.

Would have thought they would have followed some of thier advertisers and invested in solar power, wind power and hydro power etc and lead by example.  ::) ;D

They do.

Google is biggest corporate buyer of renewable electricity on the Planet, they make the likes of Shell, BP Energy etc look like piss pot Companies for free and renewable energy.

They also have a Full Trading Licence that enables then to sell there own free generated energy to other users.

There still not getting my bloody personal detials though, even though they probably already got them on the quiet from somewhere.  ::)

« Last Edit: 19 October 2017, 00:16:51 by zirk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2017, 18:45:54 »

Most large datacentres do use some form of renewable...   ...but datacentres are 24/7, and the only places to get 24hrs of daylight also get 24 hours of darkness ;D

Additionally, as we know, renewable energy is more expensive than pissing off the tree huggers.

So the costs will be broadly correct ;).  But the energy costs are insignificant compared to other costs.  And its all bloody expensive.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 October 2017, 19:23:58 »

Most large datacentres do use some form of renewable...   ...but datacentres are 24/7, and the only places to get 24hrs of daylight also get 24 hours of darkness ;D

Additionally, as we know, renewable energy is more expensive than pissing off the tree huggers.

So the costs will be broadly correct ;). But the energy costs are insignificant compared to other costs.  And its all bloody expensive.
[/highlight]

Stop it Jaime, I'm sobbing with sympathy for Google. :( :( :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2017, 18:16:17 »

Stop it Jaime, I'm sobbing with sympathy for Google. :( :( :(
Don't feel bad, Google (despite their tag line) are very, very evil :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.