Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: spanner light comes on and car revs to 4000rmp 2001 2.2 petrol  (Read 4262 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile

Hi can anybody help me.  I got a 2001 2.2 petrol last night.  On the way home it suddenly revved to 4000 and the spanner light came on, and it seemed to I assume go into limp mode.  I pulled over and switched the car off. When I started it again the light was out and it drove from Darlington to Glasgow without any problems, gear changes etc all seemed OK.  Where would the best place to look at be?  I am going to try the pedal trick today and hope it works, otherwise looking at getting a "My Naff Code Reader" to hopefully find a code, if it works on this year and model.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: spanner light comes on and car revs to 4000rmp 2001 2.2 petrol
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2017, 09:27:16 »

You need to read, but I'd guess the cam sensor is at issue here. I'd also look at removing the throttle body and cleaning it up  :y

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2017, 09:43:39 »

Thanks for the quick reply.  Whereabouts is the cam sensor on the 2.2 only got the Workshop manual for the 2.0 upto 1999, would this be any good for the 2001 2.2?  Will check the Throttle body when it is dry.  Would any new Cam sensor be OK or a specific brand?  Tried the pedal trick, it didn't work so was thinking of getting a "My Naff Code Reader", unless there is a member near to Glasgow with a TECH II.  Sorry for all the questions, last 2 Omegas were both 1995 2.5ltrs. Have now come back to Omegas after having a Jeep.

Just found the 2.2 camshaft sensor change in maintenance section. :y
Thanks again Addy
« Last Edit: 23 October 2017, 09:45:47 by addy »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2017, 09:53:59 »

Typo above from me, meant to say read the codes. Not just to read  ;D

For cam sensor you really need to get this from a Vauxhall dealer, we've seen too many issues over the years with cheapo eBay ones causing issues.

But get those codes first before doing anything, could still be a sticky throttle body. Get some carb cleaner and pop off the whole body itself and give it a damn good clean, could easily be caked in cr@p.  :y

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2017, 10:04:26 »

Thanks will look at Throttle body got some Throttle body cleaner.  Hope the dealer is better on the Vauxhall side than the Jeep side, they didn't even know what Vent pipe I needed for my Jeep, even when explaining where it went from and too and the proper Part number for it.

Just Pm'd Hotel21 who I understand is in Scotland with a TechII.

Thanks Addy

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2017, 19:41:05 »

Well got myself a ask no question reader.  Checked the codes, one was the Cam Sensor which has now been changed with genuine one and code for it has gone.  Car did the same again today, 4000rpm and spanner light back on, turned car off then back on spanner light out and car seemed to run and rev ok.  Checked codes on car for engine, ABS and gearbox.  The codes that came up are P0730 - Gear Ratio Incorrect (08) - Not present in Gearbox fault section and P1700 - SVS request via CAN (00) - Not present. ABS had no fault codes.

I am at a loss where to check next, or do these codes mean what I am reading on the Web that the Autobox is knackered?

« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 20:46:53 by TheBoy »

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2017, 20:16:55 »

Clear the codes again, cam sensor always throws up random gearbox codes
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2017, 20:44:09 »

Thanks for the quick reply.  The codes were cleared when new cam sensor, was put in. Took the car for a drive and no codes were there for anything.  Drove the car today and as said the revs went high and spanner came on.  The only codes were those two, sorry to seem stupid, if there is no code for the sensor how would that effect the gearbox, if the engine ecu is happy with the Cam sensor? This seems to be a intermittent fault.  I am at a loss now.

Adrian
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 20:46:25 by TheBoy »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2017, 21:59:29 »

Crank sensor...
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2017, 22:19:48 »

Would I get a error code for crank sensor. I know on my old omega when the Crank sensor played up it kept cutting out, then wouldn't start. I disconnected the Cam Sensor to see if it made any difference, the car still ran but gave the original code 0340, which has gone since changing it.  I read somewhere that if the Crank Sensor was playing up disconnecting the Cam Sensor would show it?  I have a known good Crank Sensor, which I can change for the one on it.  Is there anything I need to make sure of before removing or replacing it?

Thanks again.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Addy

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2017, 22:55:38 »

I found this, I don't know if it applies to a Omega?  It mentions the Crankshaft sensor, but is on about speed sensors, which if not working correct give a ratio error code.  Which I have, are they refering to the Crankshaft sensor, or are they on the gearbox or somewhere else?  This writeup I found is the closest description of the fault codes I am getting.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/bf90222.htm

Thanks again
Addy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2017, 02:24:39 »

Ignore the gearbox codes... The P1700 tells you it's a red herring and points to either cam or crank sensor... and you've already changed the cam sensor ;)

For clarity, either sensor playing up and the cam and crank signals in the engine ecu won't tally. This duff information gets sent to the gearbox ecu via the canbus and the gearbox immediately assumes that it is broken...
« Last Edit: 08 November 2017, 02:27:29 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2017, 08:10:18 »

Thank you for your quick reply and explaning about the two sensors working together.  I knew the Crank Sensor can cause problems, with shutting down the car etc. I didn't realise it was so important as such for the working of the Gearbox. I enjoy coming on this forum as I can learn something everyday.  Only ever had upto 1995 Omegas, this 2001 2.2 one is a complete learning curve.

Adrian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2017, 18:00:36 »

The "Incorrect Ratio" is concerning - does the revs sometimes fly up with a lack of drive?
Grumpy old man

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2017, 19:27:53 »

Hi TheBoy

I can be driving along, suddenly the revs shoot upto about 4000rpm, and car seems to feel as similar to a clutch slipping(hope that makes sense) and then revs will suddenly drop and with a jolt it goes into Limp Mode with the Spanner Light on. If I turn the car off then back on it all seems OK, gears change up and down smoothly. The 2 codes recorded are (P0730 - Gear Ratio Incorrect (08) - Not present in Gearbox fault section and P1700 - SVS request via CAN (00) - Not present). The person i purchased it off said that the gearbox has had a new filter and ECU, because error codes had come up and when it was diagnosed, he was told it was electronic and not the box.The engineer cleared the codes and none reappeared so it was taken as the problem had been fixed.  It seems to be a intermittent fault that occurs with normal driving.  Today I was just doing about 20mph when it happened.

When I collected the car from Darlington, and it did it, I switched the car off left it for a few minutes, the spanner light was out and I was able to drive it home in Glasgow, the gears changed normal and no hesitation or spanner light coming on.

Please tell me it isn't terminal.  The car is too nice to scrap.

Thanks
Addy
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.