Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD player not working - strange!  (Read 5356 times)

jafaremraf

• View Profile
CD player not working - strange!
« on: 07 March 2012, 12:49:13 »

Hi - first posting here  :)

We have just bought a 2003 Vauxhall Omega dti estate, which is in excellent condition for its age.  Not a lot wrong with it that we can see and the seller seemed very genuine.

I put a couple of CDs in the CD player (it has a 4 CD cassette).  It played the first CD through to the end, then the second CD started missing parts of the song (not stopping & starting).  I took it out and cleaned the CD, but still wouldn't work properly.  So I tried to play the first CD again and it just kept saying Error.  I put a CD cleaning disc in to the player a few times to clean it, but still nothing.  In frustration I left it to my husband to sort ou  ;D.  He put 4 different CDs in the cassette and all played as it should.  Today I swap one of the CDs for a different one and it starts to play - part way through it starts missing bits of the song.  Again I've tried cleaning the CD, moving it to a different slot in the cartridge and now it says Error.  In fact now 3 of the CDs (all of which were playing ok) are saying Error.  This is a real pain as I need a CD player for my work.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong and what I could try next?

As a last resort....... we bought this car to replace our aging Vauxhall Omega Elite which we are in the process of selling.  It has the 6 CD cassette mounted in the boot.  From my very non technical point of view I wouldn't have thought the two systems were compatible, but could we use the one from the old car and link it to the one in the new car?

Thanks in advance

Jane

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: CD player not working - strange!
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2012, 12:53:58 »

Welcome to the forum Jane. Unfortunately your Elite CD is not compatible. Sounds like the laser in the CCR2006 (which you have fitted assuming no satnav) is failing in the CDC3 unit (the part that accepts the cartridge). Solution is either a replacement CDC3, complete CCR2006 or an aftermarket unit
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2012, 15:21:17 »

Welcome to the forum. :y

Just moved this to a more appropriate section as hopefully you'll get more response.

Sounds to me, though, like the CD mechanism / optical pickup is on its' way out, and I don't believe spares are available any more. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2012, 16:10:09 »

Yep, classic sign that CD laser has died - possibly due to age of unit, or previous owner using recordable discs.

Spares are getting very hard to get now as Philips ceased trading over ten years ago.

:'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2012, 22:08:47 »

Hi - first posting here  :)
... we bought this car to replace our aging Vauxhall Omega Elite which we are in the process of selling.

Hello and welcome to the site!

Have you found a buyer for your Elite yet? If not then I can't resist an old Omega!
Any M.O.T. or tax? Does she drive and how much were you looking for it? P.M. me if preferred...

jafaremraf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2012, 22:59:20 »

Oh!!  :(  it doesn't sound good.  Thanks for the replies though.  I just have a few more questions......

• Ours is a ccr2006 unit.  I have looked at replacements and they show Phillips on them, whereas our says Siemens.  Does this matter?
  • I've seen a couple where they are for sale including the screen and it says because there is the screen no code is required - is that right?
  • If we're able to find a CDC3 for sale, does that need to have a code?  If so, how does that work if we replace our faulty one because that would have a different code (i.e. our existing code for the radio) - if that makes sense!?

I love my Elite - our new car is nice, but it just isn't the same..... mind you, fuel consumption is better  ;)
« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 23:44:54 by hotel21 »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2012, 23:04:17 »

Oh!!  :(  it doesn't sound good.  Thanks for the replies though.  I just have a few more questions......

• Ours is a ccr2006 unit.  I have looked at replacements and they show Phillips on them, whereas our says Siemens.  Does this matter?
  • I've seen a couple where they are for sale including the screen and it says because there is the screen no code is required - is that right?
  • If we're able to find a CDC3 for sale, does that need to have a code?  If so, how does that work if we replace our faulty one because that would have a different code (i.e. our existing code for the radio) - if that makes sense!?

I love my Elite - our new car is nice, but it just isn't the same..... mind you, fuel consumption is better  ;)
Philips/Siemens, no difference. Buying a replacement unit you will need the code as well, another screen is not required. If you can get a known good CDC3 you will need to put the vertical PCB from your CDC into the replacement. I`ve sent you a PM Jane
« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 23:45:14 by hotel21 »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2012, 08:04:24 »

Blimey, I had the sister Omega to that which was also a rare 3.0 Elite with manual box. I wish I hadn't sold it now :'(

« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 23:45:33 by hotel21 »
Retired

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2012, 08:31:57 »

Blimey, I had the sister Omega to that which was also a rare 3.0 Elite with manual box. I wish I hadn't sold it now :'(

Like them alloys  :P Take it they not vx ones .... :-\
« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 23:46:02 by hotel21 »

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2012, 08:34:36 »

They are 17" Irmscher ones from the Mini Facelift MV6 but unfortunately are made of very soft alloy so most are square by now. Personally I think they are the best looking alloys fitted to the Omega ;) 
Retired

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2012, 08:37:29 »

They are 17" Irmscher ones from the Mini Facelift MV6 but unfortunately are made of very soft alloy so most are square by now. Personally I think they are the best looking alloys fitted to the Omega ;)

Arr thats a shame about them being soft , i thought it was the ones on mine that were soft  ::) Do agree they do look very good , first time i have noticed that style  ;)

This whats on mine

« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 08:40:33 by eatmydust »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.