Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Billowing exhaust smoke after V6 spark plug change  (Read 2328 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
Billowing exhaust smoke after V6 spark plug change
« on: 08 April 2010, 23:02:50 »

Just finished fitting new plugs (Champion twin electrode RC10DMC) on my 2.5 V6 mig  :y after major hassle accessing passenger side plugs.  Got down to working on the much easier driver side plugs and found loads of oil in each spark plug well (no oil in driver side plug wells)   :(  Tried to soak up most of the oil in each well (paper towel & screw driver) before removing each plug... but each plug came out covered in oil & residual oil definately dripped into combustion chambers.  Fitted new plugs & reasembled everything.  Started her up & white smoke billowed from the exhaust so much that I was expecting neighbours to call the fire brigade  :o Took my mig for a 5 mile run & its all settled down.  I'm assuming the oil is from blown cam rocker cover gasket & not too worried and guess the smoke storm was just oil burning off.  What I don't know, is how much damage I've done to my shiny new plugs by burning oil  :-/ ?  Will this foul the new plugs & if so have all my efforts to fit new plugs, been in vain  :'( ?  any advice welcome, cheers steve. ps. GM seem to have made it virtually impossible to the access rear passenger side plug with an ordinary extension bar, removed wipers & scuttle but still took me ages!?
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Billowing exhaust smoke after V6 spark plug change
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2010, 23:21:58 »

The plugs will be fine, but the cam cover gaskets need doing ASAP. Clean the breathers out too. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2010, 23:58:19 »

Thanks Kevin. Thats music to my ears because it took me the most part of the day do complete the job! I have to do all the work on a public road with limited tools. I live in flats with no lift so if I forget a single thing I have to put everything away, secure the car and take a long hike. I will have to get the gaskets done but local vox dealer has quoted £75 for GM gaskets (pair) and local garages in my area of London charge upward of £50 an hour labour.  I'm a London paramedic (13 yrs) on long term sick pay (peanuts) and not that experienced working on cars, just people  ;) I reckon the strip down to access the gaskets and re-assembly is beyond my scope & tool kit  ::) so I'm holding out for now and just topping up with 15w/40
« Last Edit: 09 April 2010, 01:38:01 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2010, 07:38:56 »

Steve, if you can get the car over to me in East London i can do the gaskets for you, we just need to sort when

pm sent  :y

Smooth

• N.Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2010, 07:59:48 »

Or if you happening to be passing Northern Ireland i'll do them as well
If Jesus had a licence he would drive an MV6

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2010, 10:03:40 »

Thanks Kevin. Thats music to my ears because it took me the most part of the day do complete the job! I have to do all the work on a public road with limited tools. I live in flats with no lift so if I forget a single thing I have to put everything away, secure the car and take a long hike. I will have to get the gaskets done but local vox dealer has quoted £75 for GM gaskets (pair) and local garages in my area of London charge upward of £50 an hour labour.  I'm a London paramedic (13 yrs) on long term sick pay (peanuts) and not that experienced working on cars, just people  ;) I reckon the strip down to access the gaskets and re-assembly is beyond my scope & tool kit  ::) so I'm holding out for now and just topping up with 15w/40[/quote]

you would be better of with 10/40  ;) :y

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2010, 10:23:12 »

An easyer way to get the oil out of the plug wells is by useing a ceringe (thing for injections) that you get for refilling your printer cartriges, just put a straw from a lube spray can on the end, works great and you get nearly all the oil out.

Sorry about the spelling its not my strong point.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

CyNick

• Monmouthshire
  • Car is stuck in KIDDERMINSTER!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2010, 11:49:34 »

An easyer way to get the oil out of the plug wells is by useing a ceringe (thing for injections) that you get for refilling your printer cartriges, just put a straw from a lube spray can on the end, works great and you get nearly all the oil out.

Sorry about the spelling its not my strong point.

Never worry about the spelling!!

A great tip.. I was wondering how to do this..

Now I know - without even having to ask!    :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2010, 12:43:52 »

I use a Pela pump, it sucks all the oil out in seconds  :y

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2010, 18:01:55 »

Turkey bastor does a good job of sucking the oil from around the plugs, please don't tell the wife.  >:( ;D :y
regards
richard a
richard a

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2010, 02:43:11 »

Thanks Razzo (have just sent you a pm) really appreciate the offer  :) Thanks for your offer too Smooth but won't be in NI until July (mates wedding  ;)). I wish I'd had the savvy to think of using a syringe and red lube thingy but too late now cos its all back together and the oil got in. But thanks anyway ghost rider, I definately won't make the same mistake again  :y

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2010, 09:59:19 »

Thanks Razzo (have just sent you a pm) really appreciate the offer  :) Thanks for your offer too Smooth but won't be in NI until July (mates wedding  ;)). I wish I'd had the savvy to think of using a syringe and red lube thingy but too late now cos its all back together and the oil got in. But thanks anyway ghost rider, I definately won't make the same mistake again  :y

No probs mate, But dont worry about not knowing some of the tricks Everyone has to learn.
we are not all mechanics and we cant know everything. there is a lot of good tips knocking  about the forum just keep your eyes open.
hope you get it sorted mate :y
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2010, 10:06:12 »

Lol, if the plug wells had oil in them then when changing the plugs it will have got into the pots.....this will then burn off with nice big fat clouds of smoke!

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2010, 21:50:23 »

Does anyone know the GM part number for V6 rocker cover gaskets... need to shop around a bit £££. My engine code is X25XE (1996 model) I've done some home work and the part number that keeps coming up is 90511451 but need to be 100% sure? thanks for all the help

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2010, 21:54:15 »

Does anyone know the GM part number for V6 rocker cover gaskets... need to shop around a bit £££. My engine code is X25XE (1996 model) I've done some home work and the part number that keeps coming up is 90511451 but need to be 100% sure? thanks for all the help

All the part numbers are in the maintenance guide  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.