Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little question for the builders / decorators............  (Read 1128 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile

I have had the ceiling replaced with new boards and skim, the walls are being done tomorrow / monday, my question is how long do I have to leave it before I can decorate?

Currently camped in the lounge with the old settee and the tv on the floor....... :D :D

Bought a new settee today as well............. :y :y

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
Re: A little question for the builders / decorators............
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2013, 21:28:34 »

You'll know when it's dry by the change in colour, I'd leave it at least another 24 hrs after that. Try and  get extra heating into the room to dry it out quicker

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2013, 21:39:13 »

You'll know when it's dry by the change in colour, I'd leave it at least another 24 hrs after that. Try and  get extra heating into the room to dry it out quicker

Thanks, just trying to pin down the decorator......... ;) :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2013, 08:16:26 »

Yes....make sure its totally dry, the colour will be a light pinky type of colour. Do not paint if  there are darker patches....probably still a bit damp.
Also....make sure your painter seals it properly. A lot of the buggers nowadays just slap a couple of coats of emulsion on the surface and that's it. Even a really thinned down coat of emulsion is better than nothing.
Also, again, not known by some painters, realistically, after new plaster, the walls should be coated first time by ordinary emulsion, not vinyl. This was always policy in the 'old days'. Reason being, vinyl forms a seal obviously, so you can wipe off marks. Ordinary emulsion has pores therefore open surface, so the plaster can breathe. If any damp is deep down, it can fully dry.
Word of warning....do not force dry the plaster...you will end up with a million hairline cracks. :y

Sorry to ramble Mike.....all down to being in the trade since the sixties :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2013, 09:38:07 »

At this time of year it will take a bit longer due to the higher humidity of the air.

I would guess at around 2 weeks

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2013, 10:31:20 »

At this time of year it will take a bit longer due to the higher humidity of the air.

Meanwhile it makes your house smell of cat wee.. ;D (Unless it's just me who thinks drying plaster has a very particular smell!)

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2013, 10:48:20 »

7 days in a house with heating on will be more than enough for a skim coat on plasterboards. TBH 24hours if you like your heating tropical!

1st coat of PVAwater mix will seal the surface and stop it sucking the life out of whaterver you put on it. Not essential but helps.

Walls breath in all directions so sealling one face isn't an issue

Have to say on a few 'crash it out/ repair' jobs it been platered in the morning, painted in the afternoon!!  :)

Big_Al

« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2013, 21:06:06 »

Bit OTT 2 weeks IMO  :o :o  . .     7 days will be plenty if a lived in house with heating on for new board & skim .

As Terby says  "sealing" new plaster is crucial, a couple of really thinned out "mist" coats is the way  down here  . . .  but take notice of Terbs , he knows his decorating ;) ;)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2013, 21:10:25 »

Meanwhile it makes your house smell of cat wee.. ;D (Unless it's just me who thinks drying plaster has a very particular smell!)

Better stop kicking the cat then.......... ::) ;) ;)

Thanks guys.......... :y :y  One wall and coving to go, he will be back on Monday to finish off, meanwhile camping in the lounge with a list of Jobs while swmbo and Miss Vamps go to the caravan (Static) for the weekend........ ::) ;)

MR MISTER

« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2013, 21:13:55 »

Thanks guys.......... :y :y  One wall and coving to go, he will be back on Monday to finish off, meanwhile camping in the lounge with a list of Jobs while swmbo and Miss Vamps go to the caravan (Static) for the weekend........ ::) ;)
Is this caravan of yours a static caravan, Mike?

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2013, 21:17:27 »

Is this caravan of yours a static caravan, Mike?

It is Steve, but I don't want to be associated with the average caravaner............ :D :D :D

I shouldn't really say that as some of our best friends are pikeys............. :-[ :-[ :-X ;)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2013, 10:43:42 »

7 days in a house with heating on will be more than enough for a skim coat on plasterboards. TBH 24hours if you like your heating tropical!

1st coat of PVAwater mix will seal the surface and stop it sucking the life out of whaterver you put on it. Not essential but helps.

Walls breath in all directions so sealling one face isn't an issue

Have to say on a few 'crash it out/ repair' jobs it been platered in the morning, painted in the afternoon!!  :)
Never put PVA on new plaster. A mist coat of 50/50 water & matt (not vinyl) emulsion is the way to go
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2013, 19:34:31 »

Just had fireplace bricked up and plastered.
plasterer said use a 50\50 coat of cheap emulsion,but wait at least 2+ weeks, wait until its a very light pink then bosh the mist coat on with a roller and leave for 48hr then should be all right to paint or paper,DO Not use PVA or vinyl paint,as a 1st coat as that wont allow the plaster to dry properly,

had to drill some vent cores in the chimney breast last week,the plaster was still soft,its about 3 incbes thick on the side as its rendered 1970 houseing. Was plastered 6 weeks ago.
Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2013, 08:08:39 »

I have never found plaster to be dry in less than a week, particularly around the corners (even on skimmed board) where its thickest
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.