Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting 'how many left' question  (Read 4798 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting 'how many left' question
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2015, 10:16:32 »

A friend of mine who goes to many shows-including Billing-and is a long time ABS member has 2 Viceroys,one manual and t'other automatic.So possibly 2 of those on sorn are his as he takes them off road over winter,and returns them to the road over the summer months for the car shows.

Indeed, if you look at the graph of some of them there's a massive upsurge of registered vehicles just before each classic display season, and then a sudden dip as summer ends, and equivalent upsurge in SORNd vehicles, presumably for this exact reason  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2015, 10:17:00 »

The Albany was a mini buss type thing based on a midi van had a blue one in the late ninety's  :y

Ten points to that OOFer!  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2015, 11:21:01 »

OK, so personal opinions about how 'useless' that Howmanyleft site is, it's clearly at the very least approximate, so I thought I'd have a look to see what level or rarity older (or newer?) Vauxhalls have, and I've found...

As a sort of Datum point let's look at the Carlton, a car we all remember them being a very common sight all over the roads, well there's apparently now just 515 left (924 SORN) that's including Lotus Carltons, but I've separated that figure down below, as they're not your regular Carlton, really

So... 'top ten' rarest Vauxhalls (ok, 12..ish)

Cresta           447 (175 SORN)
Velox            264 (45 SORN)
Chevette        221 (648 SORN)
Senator         163 (378 SORN)
Midi              140 (212 SORN)
Wyvern          92  (15 SORN)
Lotus Carlton   63  (113 SORN)
Firenza           63  (90 SORN)
Ventora          53  (20 SORN)
Viceroy            5   (16 SORN)
Royale             4   (47 SORN)
Albany             2   (3 SORN)

Might be possible to combine The Wyvern, Velox and Cresta models, as these shared the same bodyshells/same car, really - much like an Omega or Elite.. Astra and Belmont etc... In which case the total for these would be 803 (235 SORN) which surprisingly outnumbers the old Carlton by a fair bit.

In the same way we could combine the Senator, Carlton, Royale and Viceroy as the 'same' car (and therefore even Monza, too? = 59) that's then 746 cars.

ok, they're NOT the same car, no-one shoot me down listing their differences, but you follow my logic, hopefully  :)

Happily there's over 700 Vivas, 1.5k Victors/Vx1800/VX2300s, 1.2k Calibras about and 1.8k little Novas grounding on speed humps as we speak. There's still 5.5k old faithful Cavaliers still driving about.

It might be limited appeal to many on here, but just got bored at work and got interested.  :D

Oh, incidentally, we're now  some 12 years out of production, and there's now 13 thousand Omegas still cruising about
(from a high of 104,510 as the one-time best selling executive car in Britain).

No way.

That figure seems on the high side.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2015, 11:42:14 »

Approximately 12 years out of production of the Carlton (in 2006) there was a reputed 9,675 of them still rolling around.

This is a little erroneous in so far as...

a) That would include all Carltons from 1978, so two/three Marks of Carlton (depending on your perspective whether it received a heavy facelift or a whole new Mark in the early 80s)
b) That includes a few hundred (at the time) Lotus Carltons, of course there was no Lotus [Vauxhall] Omega replacement
c) Omegas were in production for 9ish years, the Carlton/Omega A 6 years, plus the 8 years of the previous Marks
d) That lower Carlton figure does not include Senators, if you wanted a large top-spec Vauxhall in 2000 you bought an Omega Elite, in 1990 you bought a Senator

Its is suggested there to be around 4300 towns, villages and cities in Great Britain, that's a theoretical three per town, so probably not too far off the mark, when you consider cities will have a few more, villages will on average have none/the odd one. I know a guy who owns a Monza, and there's a guy in the same hamlet he lives in, also with a Monza, half a dozen houses away. Not in the club, doesn't know him, they've never really spoken, bizarre!

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2015, 12:49:38 »

Oh, incidentally, we're now  some 12 years out of production, and there's now 13 thousand Omegas still cruising about

Plenty of spares availabilities coming up then , which is nice to know . Trouble is a lot of them get crushed before you can get hold of the parts you need  :(
One quite large scrap yard near me has never heard of an omega when i asked him  ::)
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2015, 13:44:08 »

Neither have the majority of Vauxhall Dealers!  ;)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 July 2015, 15:52:56 »

Neither have the majority of Vauxhall Dealers!  ;)

Thats true , i usually get "is that a vauxhall"  ::)
Omegatitis

Phil L

• Intermediate Member
  • Hitchin
    • 2003 2.6 Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2015, 17:42:39 »

Ah - sorry I asked !
Thanks

Haha, I did say prepare to be underwhelmed  :D To be honest, rewind back to 1990, you got a fully trimmed interior, seats were super comfy velour out of/adapted from the Cav CD and a few other bits. Think of it as a very comfy van with seats (very much in the Merc V-Class mould) as opposed to a very bad MPV  :) Second attempt to cash in on the Espace market, the Sintra was also a flop, not until the all-conquering Zafira did they find their niche.  :)
Agreed
Wishing I'd not sold the 67 Mustang...

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2015, 19:47:27 »

I drove my Uncle's Ventora was I was about 15 on an old airfield - 3.3 litre & auto too if I remember rightly. My Grandad had a 1600 Cortina manual that I'd tried my best to drive but the Ventora was in a different class

My Dad had two of them,one FD and an FE,both manual and lovely cars :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2015, 00:40:22 »

I had a1300 Cavalier then a 1.8 Carlton followed by a 2.0 litre Carlton 8 years good car and now the 2.5V6. Ah Vauxhall much under rated by badge prats :D
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 July 2015, 08:30:19 »

Anyone who has ever registered a car for the first time, and grappled with the DVLA retards, will know how accurate these figures are.

There are probably umpteen uncounted Omegas registered as everything from "Suffolk Punch" to "Spitfire Mark IX". ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 July 2015, 11:35:20 »

I had a1300 Cavalier then a 1.8 Carlton followed by a 2.0 litre Carlton 8 years good car and now the 2.5V6. Ah Vauxhall much under rated by badge prats :D

:y I've always said the only people who don't like Vauxhalls.. have never owned a Vauxhall.

wolseleywedge

• Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
    • Omega 2.5 V6 CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2015, 20:35:08 »

Anyone who has ever registered a car for the first time, and grappled with the DVLA retards, will know how accurate these figures are.

There are probably umpteen uncounted Omegas registered as everything from "Suffolk Punch" to "Spitfire Mark IX". ;D

Hehe, laughed at that.  You are spot on, the two big problems with ''how many left'' as goes older cars are a) the same cars are known under multiple different versions of their names and b) any car that has been off the road before the SORN system came in is not sorned.  I have a 1975 Wolseley thats been off the road since 1988 and so has never been sorned and doesn't show up on the records.

Also a lot of Crestas on that list but that includes all the different shapes over three decades, totally different cars really just sharing the name. 

How many Viscounts left I wonder?  The Senator of the PC Cresta range, big Impala-esque barge in its day

2000 Vauxhall Omega, 2012 Toyota Aygo & 1975 Wolseley 2200.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2015, 09:35:40 »

Indeed hence my trying to merge the data for all Carltons, and Sennys, plus Royales, Monzas etc.. as they're 'the same car'ish-ish-ish.

I hear what you're saying about the numbers, and PCs are far rarer than people think;it's a crying shame, as they're easily one of the finest looking of that generation of 'coke bottle' cars... Also, small geek fact, the PCs were the first British (-and probably first European) car to borrow that 'coke bottle' styling from the US, which had only really been seen fully on the 1963 Buck Riviera;, and started a trend which all other car makes copied for a decade after. Again, another Vauxhall worthy of historical note, but ask anyone and they're be convinced Ford invented it on the Cortina III. Not even close, Dagenham!  8)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.