Yes, still got one
- 7 (18.9%)
Yes, had one previously, but not now
- 8 (21.6%)
No.
- 22 (59.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zafiras  (Read 5830 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Zafiras
« on: 30 June 2015, 20:03:24 »

I keep seeing posts of people mentioning their Zafiras.  I struggle to see the appeal, despite (or maybe due to!) having one myself. I put them in the shitbox category.

But they are obviously popular...   ...or are they, hence the poll.

But do you like them?
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Zafiras
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2015, 20:06:50 »

Hate them. Voted  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

4x4

« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2015, 20:13:37 »

Umm had to buy a 7 seater due to circumstances at the time,then didnt need it,and then found certain people took advantage,i kept it for just over a year and then part exchanged it for a ford puma 1.7 which was more suited to my needs at that time,i hated the bloody thing,slow and leak off pipes became a consumable part every service.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2015, 20:24:32 »

I have had 7 as company cars........ get shed loads in the back and as far as a car goes they are ok....thing is put a ladder on the roof they become a liability
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2015, 20:34:17 »

Had 2 Zaffys the 2.0 diesel was a far better car than the 1.6 updated engine model. They both were very adaptable and pretty reliable have thought about the new model but just seems a bit too bulky!
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2015, 20:35:12 »

We looked at the Zafira but at the time a 1.9 model (no way would we look at the 2.0 and 2.2 DTi models) was out of our league, also they aren't particularly big compared to the Sharon / Alhambra which is much better for us when we have the three kids, dog and Mrs VXL V6 and I all in the same car around holiday time!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2015, 20:35:37 »

I can't deny you can get a substantial amount of shite in the back, esp with the seats forward.
Grumpy old man

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2015, 20:50:24 »

Oh yes loads of space for shite...and tbh the 1.8 auto was the best...didn't like the diesel that much
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2015, 20:51:59 »

I have a 1.9 (150) cdti Elite

Its what I call my 'enough' car

Its fast enough
Its economical enough
Its big enough
Its practical enough
Its comfy enough
Its reliable enough

never gonna win my heart, or any prizes, but does what it says on the tin.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2015, 20:58:51 »

Have voted no.It's not that I don't like them or anything,just that I've never had need of a seven seater.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2015, 07:52:35 »

I bought mine as I required the ability to carry occasional large loads with my ABS duties after I sold the mig estate. Does everything I ask of it and comfortably but not as comfortable as the mig obviously. I only have the baby 1.6 16v and it is under geared. 3000rpm at 60 mph. I will replace it with a zaf B but that will be a 1.8 sri. I do manage 38 mpg at best from the current one as long as I keep it at 70 mph or below

Keith B

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2015, 08:25:45 »

As you know I have had one for some years and although I don't hugely bond with it, its reliable, economical and practical, just passed the 140K miles mark and climbing.

Having said that, it has enough poke to be able to be entertaining and handling is acceptable.

When the extension is finished I can see a third car being bought to add some fun factor to the driving line up.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2015, 08:46:06 »

What's to like about a Zafira? Why would you even expect to, as it is just a tool. Consider the alternatives for a budget smallish multi-seater, and tell me what else is better. Scenic or Picasso might be 'better' if you can get them to work for a decent amount of time.Good luck with that!

Expecting to like this sort of car is like getting attached to your tumble drier.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2015, 09:20:27 »

Expecting to like this sort of car is like getting attached to your tumble drier.

Exactly. We're into the "white goods on wheels" category. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

The Sheriff

« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2015, 10:39:30 »

What's to like about a Zafira? Why would you even expect to, as it is just a tool. Consider the alternatives for a budget smallish multi-seater, and tell me what else is better. Scenic or Picasso might be 'better' if you can get them to work for a decent amount of time.Good luck with that!

Aha, Nick. Now some people might understand why I talk about my astra estate the way I do. It does exactly what I need it to.
I'll have time for something I actually like when the lad finishes his A levels and the dog kicks the bucket.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2015, 11:33:57 »

Aha, Nick. Now some people might understand why I talk about my astra estate the way I do. It does exactly what I need it to.
I'll have time for something I actually like when the lad finishes his A levels and the dog kicks the bucket.

Yep. I agree. A purely functional tool much like a washing machine.

The Signum is much the same, being practical and dull. Only the nippy V6 engine takes away the tedium.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2015, 12:52:18 »

The Signum is much the same, being practical and dull. Only the nippy V6 engine takes away the tedium.

Cant see you having that long Mr  ::)

Had a diesel Zaffy a while back and was quite handy for the tip run and general load lugging , gutless but practical  :)
Omegatitis

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2015, 15:56:16 »

Voted no. Which covers it afaiac.

Just oppsin....   no!

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2015, 16:26:36 »

For a cheap four seat estate Taxi perfect... But for a seven seater, no... Better off buying a transit bus and removing seats to suit your licence/luggage requirements :y

mka306

« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2015, 17:14:57 »

I have the new f/l and it has the 1.4 turbo petrol engine, I have to say for a big bus it's very smooth and easy to drive also extremely comfy and that's great for longer journeys, I have no regrets buying it and I'll no doubt keep it for many years to come.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2015, 17:15:50 »

I have the new f/l and it has the 1.4 turbo petrol engine, I have to say for a big bus it's very smooth and easy to drive also extremely comfy and that's great for longer journeys, I have no regrets buying it and I'll no doubt keep it for many years to come.
Except it's not big... ::)

mka306

« Reply #21 on: 01 July 2015, 17:23:19 »

Except it's not big... ::)

May be to you it's not butI think it's plenty big enough and does the job for me and my family very well so it gets top marks from me!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2015, 19:38:54 »

As you know I have had one for some years and although I don't hugely bond with it, its reliable, economical and practical, just passed the 140K miles mark and climbing.

Having said that, it has enough poke to be able to be entertaining and handling is acceptable.

When the extension is finished I can see a third car being bought to add some fun factor to the driving line up.
Apart from an old Nova, have you ever bonded with any of your cars though?

This bonding with cars is interesting, as I certainly bonded with my poor, clapped out MV6 from day 1, and the tractor for that matter. But the Elite I haven't.  Why not, they are all nice cars, quick enough (except tractor), handles better than expected, comfortable mile cruncher.  So my the difference?  Weird.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2015, 19:46:09 »

This bonding with cars is interesting, as I certainly bonded with my poor, clapped out MV6 from day 1, and the tractor for that matter. But the Elite I haven't.  Why not, they are all nice cars, quick enough (except tractor), handles better than expected, comfortable mile cruncher.  So my the difference?  Weird.

Because... Again! YOU HAVENT SET IT UP THE SAME AS THE MV6. Dbw aside, it's not ever going to be the same with the current suspension set up. And is unfair to compare the two.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 July 2015, 19:52:49 »

Because... Again! YOU HAVENT SET IT UP THE SAME AS THE MV6. Dbw aside, it's not ever going to be the same with the current suspension set up. And is unfair to compare the two.
It handles well enough (or did before something went wrong), tyres aside.  Its more than that. Its not just because its slower and less economical (due to the inferior 3.2). I just haven't bonded with it. That's the point, what makes us bond with a motor?
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 July 2015, 20:44:12 »

I know exactly what you mean re bonding.I haven't been able to do so with the Omega,whereas with the Senator I did.Unfortunately that was written off in an accident[not my fault]and I couldn't find a replacement within budget,hence the Omega.Really can't see it staying much longer.

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 01 July 2015, 22:59:03 »

Mine has seen me safe through a handful of accidents and also when you get a good road just right, it's just perfect.

Given recent events, I would rather break my white one than sell it :-X

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 July 2015, 23:48:42 »

It handles well enough (or did before something went wrong), tyres aside.  Its more than that. Its not just because its slower and less economical (due to the inferior 3.2). I just haven't bonded with it. That's the point, what makes us bond with a motor?
Given the gigantic leap forward you had in set up from the Elite suspension it came with, I don't understand why you haven't taken the time to get it set the same. Surely that's understandable? It clearly still needs work.

Iirc on the mv6 you have standard rear springs, mv6 rear shocks poly donuts. Front lsc shocks and Irmscher springs, poly front bushes...?

Yet on the rear of the superior Elite the rear is 20mm lower on Irmscher rear shocks and springs.

Different ride height. Something you once posted had been worked on extensively on the mv6 by Wim to get the turn in better?

You prefer a pointy car, with better turn in, yet the prefers set up from the mv6 has not been replicated to the superior Elite. Why?

The inference is that the higher rear end on the mv6 gives a slightly steaper castor and loads the front a bit better, as I recall.

Yet somehow, it's the cars fault ;D

Come on, get it sorted. Ffs it's still got the wrong size jets in the LPG. :o ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 July 2015, 11:29:36 »

Had a diesel Zaffy a while back and was quite handy for the tip run and general load lugging , gutless but practical  :)

It's growing on me a little. It's 'ugly ducking' looks are are slowly winning me over.

It is quicker than the MV6 and effortless with it.

It should sound better than it does though.... Vauxhall missed a trick there. :-\

Trip computer shows 24.8 MPG over the last 1000 miles. :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 July 2015, 13:15:51 »

It's growing on me a little. It's 'ugly ducking' looks are are slowly winning me over.

It should sound better than it does though.... Vauxhall missed a trick there. :-\

:o

I get double that in the 2.6 auto  :P

Really at home in the Omega's especially this my first fl 2.6 , its comfy and does everything effortless and the tyres last for years the way i drive  ;D
Omegatitis

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 July 2015, 15:28:44 »

:o

I get double that in the 2.6 auto  :P

Really at home in the Omega's especially this my first fl 2.6 , its comfy and does everything effortless and the tyres last for years the way i drive  ;D

That I somehow doubt ::) ;)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

The Sheriff

« Reply #31 on: 02 July 2015, 16:38:18 »

50mpg from a 2.6 V6...... Yes please. ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 July 2015, 19:27:52 »

50mpg from a 2.6 V6...... Yes please. ;D

I drive it tunnie style  ;) Not like driving a Subaru fleeing a bank raid  :P
Omegatitis

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 July 2015, 20:15:40 »

got one as a stop gap and hated it to death in fact I couldn't get out of it with out slamming the door,couldnt get comfy in it,was a pain in the arse to  get in and out of the back seats,if the road was wet the wheels spun for fun and the difference in insurance for the same engine car but with a different spec name was incredible one quote iirc was say £300 and the same care but called say club was £580.glad to get rid of the bitch and am happy with my voyager the proper engine one :y

The Sheriff

« Reply #34 on: 02 July 2015, 20:19:12 »

got one as a stop gap and hated it to death in fact I couldn't get out of it with out slamming the door,couldnt get comfy in it,was a pain in the arse to  get in and out of the back seats,if the road was wet the wheels spun for fun and the difference in insurance for the same engine car but with a different spec name was incredible one quote iirc was say £300 and the same care but called say club was £580.glad to get rid of the bitch and am happy with my voyager the proper engine one :y
Thought you had a big horn. Sorry, a bighorn. ;D

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 July 2015, 21:03:06 »

Thought you had a big horn. Sorry, a bighorn. ;D
ooh steve you said you wouldn't tell  :-* ;D
went from that to the zaffy and what a come down

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 July 2015, 01:31:14 »

My daughter had a 1.8 petrol, until she blew the gearbox up. ::) ::) ::) It was black, so obviously very fast. ::) ::) ::) But, I don't think she understood the concept of servicing, dipsticks, oil filters and oil changes. :D :D :D

It was ideal ish where she has 3 young children and when carrying the children, herself, her partner and mother, they could all fit in. Basic, but it did the job. ??? ??? ???

She has now replaced it with a Nissan Qashqai, which is much, much, better all round, including the very useful Nissan reversing camera and screen, unless you don't look at the screen as you are revering backwards towards your brothers van. :o :o :o

I sure Doctor Opti, will offer some suitable advice? ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 July 2015, 19:09:18 »

Many cars with such systems warn you on the screen that for safeties sake you should always lokk around when reversing-which kind of makes a nonsense of having a screen in front of you!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 July 2015, 08:12:24 »

My daughter had a 1.8 petrol, until she blew the gearbox up. ::) ::) ::) It was black, so obviously very fast. ::) ::) ::) But, I don't think she understood the concept of servicing, dipsticks, oil filters and oil changes. :D :D :D

It was ideal ish where she has 3 young children and when carrying the children, herself, her partner and mother, they could all fit in. Basic, but it did the job. ??? ??? ???

She has now replaced it with a Nissan Qashqai, which is much, much, better all round, including the very useful Nissan reversing camera and screen, unless you don't look at the screen as you are revering backwards towards your brothers van. :o :o :o

Good luck, there currently one of the least reliable and poorly screwed together vehicles out there at the moment based on the faults I keep seeing, plus they have the crap Renault diesel engines sadly.

mka306

« Reply #39 on: 07 July 2015, 08:28:04 »

Good luck, there currently one of the least reliable and poorly screwed together vehicles out there at the moment based on the faults I keep seeing, plus they have the crap Renault diesel engines sadly.

I should think myself very lucky then, my 1.4 turbo petrol engine is smooth, quiet and economical along with a solid build without any rattles or squeaks, in fact it has been the perfect motor from the day it rolled off the delivery truck ::)

Simply put if you don't like them don't buy one but if your considering one then you could do a lot worse and not much better really, this is based on the petrol engine though as I don't know anything about the diesel.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.