Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Springs Length Difference  (Read 4885 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Front Springs Length Difference
« on: 19 October 2018, 04:34:58 »

Hello

Just started to change wishbones, springs, shocks etc, not that easy as I thought but, However, after three evenings job left side is now disassembled. Against OOF rules I started from left side as it was easier for me. In the right side there is the wall of my garage so I have to turn the car when continuing to that side. Found that new springs have different length. How to ensure which one is which? I did not yet take the old spring away as I do not have strong enough tools for that, only small ones which I used when I had Opel Kadett. Perhaps heavy duty ones needed with Omega V6 springs, but question is which side has the longer spring.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Front Springs Length Difference
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2018, 07:16:48 »

Your driver side ;) presumably due to the combined weight of the battery and driver. Uk cars front springs are equal length :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2018, 07:52:09 »

Your driver side ;) presumably due to the combined weight of the battery and driver. Uk cars front springs are equal length :y
Agreed. Something to do with distribution of major components under the bonnet which are more left side focused on a LHD car and more equally spread on RHD.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2018, 09:44:54 »

Agreed. Something to do with distribution of major components under the bonnet which are more left side focused on a LHD car and more equally spread on RHD.

And the camber of the road is different because they're driving on the wrong side. ::)

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2018, 13:02:20 »

And the camber of the road is different because they're driving on the wrong side. ::)
I thought they drove on the right side?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2018, 13:18:29 »

Since they abolished the Tax Disk, which had to be displayed on the Near Side (Left Side in UK, Right Side if your driving towards it and the car its parked on your Off Side facing towards you, or Off Side relative to LHD Cars in Euroland, which isnt Right, because they drive on the Left, so it will be there Off Side, so their Right, well not as in Right, because We drive on the Right, which is correct Right)....             anyway, erm, forgotten what I was going to say now.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2018, 13:30:26 »

Thanks for all comments. At least I understood that right place for longer spring is left side of the car.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2018, 15:35:56 »

You might find that the end of the springs have paint on them. It's a colour code to indicate the application. I.E left hand drive V6 Saloon etc. If you have new OEM springs then the paint code should match. Aftermarket springs maybe don't have the paint code. And the paint on the old springs might have worn off by now.

When you remove a strut you will see that there are two small holes in the lower mounting dish for the spring. Make sure you note and mark which hole is located inboard as mounted on the car. IE the hole's position relative to the steering knuckle. The strut needs to be reassembled with the hole you marked in the same position.

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2018, 13:35:54 »

When I ordered new front springs for my V6 they were one for the left side and one for the right side. They are now in the car so I can not check but I think they are winded opposite ways.
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2018, 15:28:34 »

You might find that the end of the springs have paint on them. It's a colour code to indicate the application. I.E left hand drive V6 Saloon etc. If you have new OEM springs then the paint code should match. Aftermarket springs maybe don't have the paint code. And the paint on the old springs might have worn off by now.

When you remove a strut you will see that there are two small holes in the lower mounting dish for the spring. Make sure you note and mark which hole is located inboard as mounted on the car. IE the hole's position relative to the steering knuckle. The strut needs to be reassembled with the hole you marked in the same position.
Have to check this when back in my garage, thaks, driving with my 2010 Astra for a while.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2018, 19:27:29 »

When I ordered new front springs for my V6 they were one for the left side and one for the right side. They are now in the car so I can not check but I think they are winded opposite ways.

No, they're not. If they were then the top and bottom rubber mounting bushes would have to be handed as well, and they're not.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2018, 18:01:38 »

Have to check this when back in my garage, thaks, driving with my 2010 Astra for a while.
I really do not understand which two holes we are talking about.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2018, 18:09:52 »

On the cup the top mount sits in :y

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2018, 18:34:50 »

Thanks DG, I did not yet remove the spring so maybe I still can find the right position, but I am afraid that the wheels we re not straight forward when strut was removed. Am I in trouble now? Any Pics?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2018, 19:32:34 »

No, and no... In that order ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.