Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Comp. feeds  (Read 1447 times)

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
Trip Comp. feeds
« on: 08 March 2019, 21:32:34 »

I have just fitted an LPG kit to my Omega and used it on gas for the first time today, everything is working fine but I was surprised to see that the inst. and average fuel consumption functions on the trip Comp were both working. As I expected the trip consumption and Range were not registering as I was not using any petrol.

My question is where do the feeds for the consumption come from? Also is the inst. and average consumption registering gas usage when on gas?

2.6 CDX Auto Estate,
71 Opel Manta A Series 2.5 V6

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Comp. feeds
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2019, 21:51:10 »

In a nutshell...The engine and abs ecus.

The engine ecu knows what the injector duration is along with the fuel flow rate (system is set at 3.5 bar), and the abs gives speed/distance.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2019, 21:53:47 »

Probably the same electronic DEVIL who lives in the auto gearbox and changes gears when your not even pressing the clutch or wiggling the gear-stick about  :P

I thought it worked off the amount of fuel the tank level sensor is registering and calculates (based on previous and current driving / MPG ,fuel pulses ,RPM etc) how far you can go RANGE before you hand over a fist full of twenties at the petrol station  :-\

must be a sensor in the seat too to detect how fat your wallet is and adjusts the RANGE to slim your wallet to within selected tolerances (skint/empty)

I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will be along shortly  ;D   
Ah
The Good Doc has replied   :y

The engine ecu knows what the injector duration is along with the fuel flow rate (system is set at 3.5 bar), and the abs gives speed/distance.  :y

that then  ::)

still think there's a sensor in the driver seat though  ;D
« Last Edit: 08 March 2019, 21:56:48 by dave the builder »

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2019, 22:28:30 »

So is the inst. and average consumption registering gas usage when on gas? If it is then I'm well pleased as I did not expect that.

I thought it worked off the amount of fuel the tank level sensor is registering and calculates (based on previous and current driving / MPG ,fuel pulses ,RPM etc) how far you can go RANGE before you hand over a fist full of twenties at the petrol station  :-\

I believe that is true, which is why the Range does not change when changing between petrol and gas.

My seat sensor must be faulty, it thinks my wallet is fatter than it is. :)
2.6 CDX Auto Estate,

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2019, 23:12:30 »

So is the inst. and average consumption registering gas usage when on gas? If it is then I'm well pleased as I did not expect that.
Yes and no.

It thinks it is registering petrol usage from the injector times, but what it doesn't allow for is the volume of lpg being injected as this is different to petrol for any given duration, so the numbers will be out aiui ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2019, 23:29:29 »

Yes and no.

It thinks it is registering petrol usage from the injector times, but what it doesn't allow for is the volume of lpg being injected as this is different to petrol for any given duration, so the numbers will be out aiui ;)

Right, that makes sense. :)
Oh well, thought it was too good to be true, just have to work out mph on gas the old way. :-[

Going away with the caravan next week, so will be interesting to see how the cost/mile works out on gas against petrol. Towing the van using petrol, I am getting about 4 miles/litre, which works out at about 29p/mile
2.6 CDX Auto Estate,

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2019, 23:39:05 »

On a LPG conversion all the Computer Functions will work as on Petrol except the Range, it will try and calcalate but after a while will be all over the place giving you false info.

The only exception are Factory Fit ones as they share the same Fuel caculations on both Petrol and LPG on the Car
« Last Edit: 08 March 2019, 23:41:07 by zirk »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.