Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust for 2.5 estate  (Read 4722 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Exhaust for 2.5 estate
« on: 13 March 2019, 10:07:52 »

2000 2.5 manual petrol estate
Pre MOT check on above car has revealed a blowing exhaust. Is ATE forum current choice? Can someone give me a reference please?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust for 2.5 estate
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2019, 17:58:35 »

You could wait until it actually fails and then buy the cheapest V6 estate one on eBay.

Saves fitting a new exhaust and then scrapping it because it's rotten ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2019, 18:45:50 »

just whack some gum gum, bean can with jubilee clip,foil tape etc on to see how it fares at mot time ,if it passes, then spend money  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2019, 19:17:02 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-ESTATE-2-5-168HP-1994-2000-Silencer-Exhaust-System/150875259003?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega%7CCars+Type%3A2.5+V6&hash=item2320ddc07b:g:wp8AAOSwsh5bSyDC

Free postage, so actually cheaper ::)

What I meant was regardless of exhaust condition, what about the rest of the car... Don't spend money until you know the car is sound. Or scrap it now and buy a replacement car with a long MoT for three times that Astra...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2019, 19:31:57 »

When I checked this car 2 weeks ago it wasn't blowing, so maybe some Gum gum, foil &  jubilee clip might get it through MOT, or, if it failed, I would learn what else it needed. This is my best Omega, second best is the V reg  2.5 estate, and the worst the 2003 3.2 ex-police saloon, seriously rusty.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2019, 20:02:28 »

If the Blow isnt serious my Mot Man normally just sticks a bit of sealant on it so it should Pass.

Take Him out for a few Beers the Night before the Re Test.  :D ;D

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2019, 01:40:58 »

"Pre MOT check" is usually a waste of time, unless maybe you mean that you did it yourself. Get the car MOT tested and decide what to about if it actually fails. It might well pass with just an advisory on the exhaust. Most MOT test stations allow free re-tests if the car is brought back within 10 days with the failures fixed. They don't re-test everything, just the failure points.

It's been suggested several times on other forums such as MSE that Council run MOT test centres, perhaps surprisingly, are good as they have no vested interest in failing your car as they don't do repairs for the general public. It seems that where Councils run MOT test centres to look after their own fleets they are also legally obliged to offer MOT test services to all. Not tried it myself however I did take an Omega to one a couple of years ago to have the emissions tested when they offered free tests. It passed.

Where is the hole in your exhaust? If it's the rear of the back box where it meets the centre pipes then it's well nigh impossible to weld or patch. Buy the system DG linked to and put that on. You'll have to drill out any broken bolts from the flanges on the cats. If they haven't been drilled out already. Or get a garage to put it on.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2019, 08:27:40 »

"Pre MOT check" is usually a waste of time, unless maybe you mean that you did it yourself. Get the car MOT tested and decide what to about if it actually fails. It might well pass with just an advisory on the exhaust. Most MOT test stations allow free re-tests if the car is brought back within 10 days with the failures fixed. They don't re-test everything, just the failure points.

It's been suggested several times on other forums such as MSE that Council run MOT test centres, perhaps surprisingly, are good as they have no vested interest in failing your car as they don't do repairs for the general public. It seems that where Councils run MOT test centres to look after their own fleets they are also legally obliged to offer MOT test services to all. Not tried it myself however I did take an Omega to one a couple of years ago to have the emissions tested when they offered free tests. It passed.

Where is the hole in your exhaust? If it's the rear of the back box where it meets the centre pipes then it's well nigh impossible to weld or patch. Buy the system DG linked to and put that on. You'll have to drill out any broken bolts from the flanges on the cats. If they haven't been drilled out already. Or get a garage to put it on.
The hole is on the right hand centre section, where the input pipe enters the centre box at the top. I cannot see it but when I put my hand over it the sound disappears. The back box is stainless steel. The cat section to centre section bolts look very rusty and will need drilling out.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2019, 08:36:47 »

By pre-MOT inspection I mean my own inspection of all bulbs, tyres, etc., and includes getting under the car to check exhaust and rust, and removing all the wheels to check track rod ends, gaiters, drop arms, oil leaks, etc, in fact all I can check.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2019, 09:49:52 »

You say that this is your best Omega, so from that you aren't expecting it to be destined for the scrap yard yet.
You say you have checked all likely components against possible MOT failure, so in my opinion, your options are -
1 - Take it for its test and hopefully drive away happy
2  - If it fails on your suspect exhaust, drive it away and repair / replace as necessary
3 -  Replace the exhaust before the MOT which will show good intent to the tester and again drive away happy.
It is pointless making a mountain out of a molehill; unless of course you actually know of other issues that may cause it to fail, but from you say, just take it and see what happens, and fix the exhaust prior to a retest. You'll worry yourself into an early grave otherwise!!!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2019, 10:20:42 »

By pre-MOT inspection I mean my own inspection of all bulbs, tyres, etc., and includes getting under the car to check exhaust and rust, and removing all the wheels to check track rod ends, gaiters, drop arms, oil leaks, etc, in fact all I can check.
That's great Terry  :y
gives you chance to check and clean up brake pipes and other little jobs too
(surface rust on brake pipes leads to many MOT fails because the tester sees rust and does not have time to inspect the pipework and ferrules in depth ,so fails them) plus bulbs etc are very common to fail a test,

Also , an mot tester may miss something ,so doing an mot pre check if you have the ability ,ramps/pit, axle stands to do one because then 2 sets of eyes have looked and checked the car.

but a minor exhaust blow can be patched , get an mot, then fit a new exhaust .
just be honest with the tester and say "i will replace the exhaust myself after the test" that way ,your also saying that any work will be done by you, and you will NOT be paying for the garages next Spanish holiday (or Butlins IF Brexit happens)

Good on you Terry for checking a car BEFORE MOT , rather than have a silly list of fails  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2019, 10:22:42 »

If the back box is stainless, you could replace just the centre pipes... or better still, just the blowing section. Typically £42 a side.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2019, 11:58:55 »

In my experience the V6 centre pipes will outlast the back box. The back boxes rust through at the back where the stubs are that connect to the centres. The GM factory original centre pipes and back boxes weren't stainless but were much better quality than anything available now.

It's easier to drop the whole lot as one assembly from the cats back than to mess around trying to separate the sections.

And watch out for the rear box. If it's been on the car for a long time and an original, it might be unexpectedly heavy.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2019, 12:05:57 »

In my experience the V6 centre pipes will outlast the back box. The back boxes rust through at the back where the stubs are that connect to the centres. The GM factory original centre pipes and back boxes weren't stainless but were much better quality than anything available now.

It's easier to drop the whole lot as one assembly from the cats back than to mess around trying to separate the sections.

And watch out for the rear box. If it's been on the car for a long time and an original, it might be unexpectedly heavy.
Back box is STAINLESS ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.