Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Telly Troubles  (Read 3357 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Telly Troubles
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2019, 00:31:07 »

Well, I'm watching the signal from Stockland hill right now, so it's not bust. :y
Happy new year!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2019, 15:30:38 »

Fit one of these clicky
fitted lots and have one myself
available off ebay much cheaper ,if your a gambling man in no rush  ;D

The problem with aerials sold by DIY sheds is that they are all "one size fits all" wideband antennas as they CBA to stock a decent selection of antenna groups. I would actively avoid anything wideband these days as the potential for interference from 4G telecomms stuff if the antenna has gain outside the frequency range of interest is huge.

The best thing to do is to find out what transmitter you are receiving from, get an antenna that's well matched to it and you'll end up with something more visually appealing tht performs better and probably for less money.

TBH, if you can find an antenna guy locally who knows his onions, it's probably not work messing about yourself.
never had a problem with 4G interference (that i know of   :-\ ) with any of the ones i fitted , you can buy 4G blocker plugs ,newer splitters etc have it built in IIRC

I have one of those labgear ones serve a pub/B&B with 10+ tv sets (with powered distribution  splitter etc )

I agree that old cable and connections can be damp/corroded causing issues ,all cheap and best replaced

I would advise using a Log Periodic over a Yagi for wideband reliable reception (less wind loading to)  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2019, 18:28:25 »

I have a cheap, nasty wideband aerial, fitted when I moved here in 2001, and untouched since. I notice it is pointing downwards a bit, but CBA to adjust it.  It was only ever pointed more or less the right way, and is in the loft.  Yet a decent signal from Oxford.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2019, 23:50:40 »

I have a cheap, nasty wideband aerial, fitted when I moved here in 2001, and untouched since. I notice it is pointing downwards a bit, but CBA to adjust it.  It was only ever pointed more or less the right way, and is in the loft.  Yet a decent signal from Oxford.

If a TV aerial can get a good signal in the loft, why do we mount them outside and expose them to the elements?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2019, 00:23:50 »

If a TV aerial can get a good signal in the loft, why do we mount them outside and expose them to the elements?  :-\
So that you can avoid the wasp nests ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 January 2019, 01:08:21 »

Because that happy situation does not always obtain, especially in areas of low signal strength and/or if the loft is lined with foil-backed roofing felt.

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 January 2019, 17:32:34 »

Because "professionals" are lazy, idle and quite stupid.  Allegedly, I'm in a fringe area where loft aerials wont work. Yet for the last 18yrs, the cheapest wideband from B&Q/Wickes/Homebase/cant remember has worked flawlessly in my loft.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.