Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3013057 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #17775 on: 30 January 2019, 11:30:49 »

*insert manufacturer of choice here  ::)

No, let's stick with BMW. Plenty more material there yet. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17776 on: 30 January 2019, 11:36:27 »

BMW's don't like the cold either, spent 10 mins trying to open fuel filler cap this morning. Frozen solid.

Nearly had to go back for my car.....

That's pretty woeful, its not even particularly cold - in the grand scheme of things  ::)
Why ???

It was raining all evening yesterday, then it snowed and then temperature dropped below freezing...

Any moisture inside the unsealed flap would freely condense onto any surface and promptly freeze.

And I thought you were bright...  ::)

No different to doors freezing onto saturated/wet frame seals, which incidentally are air tightish not water tight... And given that they're designed to be opened with a sub 10lb pull, no wonder that people break everything trying to rip the doors open with one foot on the adjacent panel ::)

Is that really necessary to do this to people all time?  >:(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17777 on: 30 January 2019, 11:58:45 »

Tongue very firmly in cheek  ::)

Besides, it's junior school physics ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17778 on: 30 January 2019, 12:52:11 »

BMW's don't like the cold either, spent 10 mins trying to open fuel filler cap this morning. Frozen solid.

Nearly had to go back for my car.....

That's pretty woeful, its not even particularly cold - in the grand scheme of things  ::)
Why ???

It was raining all evening yesterday, then it snowed and then temperature dropped below freezing...

Any moisture inside the unsealed flap would freely condense onto any surface and promptly freeze.

And I thought you were bright...  ::)

No different to doors freezing onto saturated/wet frame seals, which incidentally are air tightish not water tight... And given that they're designed to be opened with a sub 10lb pull, no wonder that people break everything trying to rip the doors open with one foot on the adjacent panel ::)

Well, in 17 years of holding a licence, and driving countless cars on four continents, I've never had it happen to me. So either I've been rather fortunate, or other manufacturers/models have a design/features which mean they are less susceptible. Given that BWM are German based/designed where the temperatures get well below freezing for long periods each year, I would have thought this wouldn't be a problem for them.

Is that really necessary to do this to people all time?  >:(

No, but it clearly amuses him, so who am I to deny him the simple pleasures in life?  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17779 on: 30 January 2019, 13:08:28 »

Not something that I have experienced either in 24 years...

Not a surprise, given the recent weather and time of year, that it could happen.

All that said, his 140i has managed to be reliable enough to commute in. So clearly anything is possible, however unlikely  :P

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17780 on: 30 January 2019, 14:04:30 »

All that said, his 140i has managed to be reliable enough to commute in. So clearly anything is possible, however unlikely  :P

Exceptions proving rules, and all that. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17781 on: 30 January 2019, 14:15:24 »

Exceptions proving rules, and all that. ;D
Absolutely  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #17782 on: 30 January 2019, 14:23:02 »

BMWs and Mercs are so in abundance now that they can be considered 'common'. Yet drivers of them seem to think that they are a cut above. They still think that, if they get right up behind you, you will either speed up or move out of the way through deference.
Another thing I've noticed. The brighter (more blinding) your headlights are, the better your car. Thank Christ for auto dimming mirrors.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17783 on: 30 January 2019, 16:10:58 »

BMWs and Mercs are so in abundance now that they can be considered 'common'. Yet drivers of them seem to think that they are a cut above. They still think that, if they get right up behind you, you will either speed up or move out of the way through deference.
Another thing I've noticed. The brighter (more blinding) your headlights are, the better your car. Thank Christ for auto dimming mirrors.

.. and as for those gay chasing indicator lights (should the driver deign to activate them). ;D

STEMO

« Reply #17784 on: 30 January 2019, 16:44:38 »

Was it high last time you checked?

If its dumping that much diesel in the sump, you probably need to keep a close, daily eye on it.
It's almost due it's annual service, another couple of months, I think. It has had a few aborted regens over the months, so I'll get it done sooner. It's about 1/4" over the full mark, no panic.
Booked in for Friday. MOT as well, even though it's not due till May 3rd. Comes 'free' with the service.

aaronjb

« Reply #17785 on: 30 January 2019, 17:24:06 »

.. and as for those gay chasing indicator lights (should the driver deign to activate them). ;D

Oh, I love those..

*minces off*

;D

They're not a new thing, though - 1960s Mustangs had them..

Couldn't open the door on the Smart the other day - couldn't even pull the handle because it was frozen shut ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17786 on: 30 January 2019, 17:25:27 »

Oh, I love those..

*minces off*

;D

They're not a new thing, though - 1960s Mustangs had them..

Couldn't open the door on the Smart the other day - couldn't even pull the handle because it was frozen shut ;D
Did you end up dragging it across the driveway? ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17787 on: 30 January 2019, 17:26:01 »

Who've thunk it ::)

;D

aaronjb

« Reply #17788 on: 30 January 2019, 17:31:10 »

Did you end up dragging it across the driveway? ;D

;D ;D

No I just yanked really hard (that's what she said). After I'd slid it 3' sideways the door opened..  :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17789 on: 30 January 2019, 18:09:43 »

Spent a couple of hours trying to replace the handbrake shoes on the 190. Didn't get far. Its even more fiddly than the Omega, it was freezing cold, hands got numb, back got sore, it got dark.
Gave up had a hot shower, change of clothes, logged onto OOF.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.