Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2981117 times)

STEMO

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #17820 on: 02 February 2019, 17:55:32 »

That's not right, Don, not right at all. Those discs look as though they could fall to bits under heavy braking. Are they the originals? If so, I would be contacting Skoda and letting them know. I think they could be interested in finding out what's casing that failure.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17821 on: 02 February 2019, 18:18:59 »

That's not right, Don, not right at all. Those discs look as though they could fall to bits under heavy braking. Are they the originals? If so, I would be contacting Skoda and letting them know. I think they could be interested in finding out what's casing that failure.
Yep , original . We bought the car from the Dealer at 12K Km's ( 7K miles ) so they won't have been changed from new.
Good suggestion though , I wasn't going to bother but I'm passing the dealer this week so I'll just do that , pop in and " have a wee chat " .
I'm pretty certain it'll be a sort " shure begorra their still in one piece so water yee worried about shure " sort of response .
I'll let yee ,oops , you know  ::)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17822 on: 02 February 2019, 18:35:05 »

tyres every 6K  :o
is that front and back ?
is it all wheel drive  :-\
 brake disks cracking is not good  :(
the disks don't look blue in the pics, like they have been over-heating  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #17823 on: 02 February 2019, 18:37:28 »

Yep , original . We bought the car from the Dealer at 12K Km's ( 7K miles ) so they won't have been changed from new.
Good suggestion though , I wasn't going to bother but I'm passing the dealer this week so I'll just do that , pop in and " have a wee chat " .
I'm pretty certain it'll be a sort " shure begorra their still in one piece so water yee worried about shure " sort of response .
Probably, but I would insist that they inform Skoda about it. If they are Irish laid back about it, just let them know that, if a future failure were to cause a fatality, you would inform the relevant authority about your earlier input.
You do have 'relevant authorities', right?  ;D

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17824 on: 02 February 2019, 19:10:51 »

tyres every 6K  :o
is that front and back ?
is it all wheel drive  :-\
 brake disks cracking is not good  :(
the disks don't look blue in the pics, like they have been over-heating  :-\
I always put new tyres on the front and the pair that we have just replaced were initially but were then put on the back about three months ago when I fitted the past pair. Car is FWD
I think we've been a bit unfortunate with the Kumhos . I'm on my second set on the Omega , I have them on two sets of wheels I have for a classic and we had them on a Freelander before the Yeti. Never had any trouble with them and the did a normal mileage before being worn.
After the first pair of Kumhos on the yeti wore at an alarming rate I eventually found that tyres have a compound ident. figure on them ,I think it's a TP number, and the lower the figure the more grip but less life you can expect . The Kumhos had a figure of 22 and 24 on each pair . The BF Goodriches now fitted have a figure of 30 so we shall see if that is the cause and that they were more suited to spirited driving .....
The car isn't thrashed or driven other than normally and each set of tyres wore evenly across the tread and had no abnormal shoulder wear.
We'll see.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17825 on: 02 February 2019, 19:39:50 »

Taken rather a long time to swap the radiator. and now I feel like I've run a marathon and my hands are raw and cut to pieces.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17826 on: 02 February 2019, 20:08:30 »

Probably, but I would insist that they inform Skoda about it. If they are Irish laid back about it, just let them know that, if a future failure were to cause a fatality, you would inform the relevant authority about your earlier input.
You do have 'relevant authorities', right?  ;D
Yeah... In Brussels  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17827 on: 03 February 2019, 13:48:19 »

Whilst having another pair of tyres fitted to my wife's Yeti on Monday , currently averaging 10K Km's or 6K mils evenly worn across tread  >:(, the fitter pointed out to her that the rear discs were cracked.
Sure enough when I got a chance to inspect them cracked they were . Solid discs with visible corresonding cracks on either face .
Cheap enough and very easy to replace with new pads too ,unfortunatly one front disc has a crack showing so will replace both front discs and pads  next week.
She drives 25 miles to work over a twisting mountain road and I can only think that the discs are getting hot and then being cooled rapidly when she drives through standing water causing thermal cracking . Odd thing is that F & R pads are showing little sign of hard use .
Proving to be a demanding car this one .

Postscript and update .
Curiosity got the better of me on these and I had a closer look at the "cracks " with a jewelers eyeglass . The marks certainly looked like cracks but after sanding the surface with a detail sander and 60 grit some were removed ,albeit slowly . The two on each disc that remained were carefully ground into using a Dremel and stone and these disappeared at a depth of circa <1 mm .
I was wrong in believing that they were cracked although they certainly looked and felt like it.
I was certainly more than surprised at how deep the etching from the pads had penetrated the surface of the disc especially as the car is parked at home and her workplace with the handbrake off and in gear as it is flat and safe .
However , that's what it was .
The discs measured 9mm thick  so were on the cusp of replacememt anyway .
Thanks for comments .
Don

2boxerdogs

« Reply #17828 on: 03 February 2019, 16:07:58 »

Nice sunny afternoon here so just took the Merc out for a spin round the countryside , not turned a wheel for a couple of weeks so good to get it all lubricated again.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17829 on: 03 February 2019, 17:59:05 »

I was tempted to actually go in today, but worked from home too in the end. Looking at the carnage on the roads round here at home time, I'm glad I did.

Not that there was much wrong with the roads. The drivers using them, on the other hand... ::)

Looking at snow now, it’s heavier than last night. Traffic maps show its basically grid lock around Camberley.

So glad I worked from home, next time I’ll pop to barbers as well. Just to annoy a fatty admin  :D

Did I forget to mention that I defrosted the freezer earlier? :D

Shhh. Don’t tell fatty, you can’t do any other jobs while at home.  ;D
Well, in my view, you shouldn't.  But I know many (most?) people who WFH do 3 parts of eff all when at home.  And that gives everyone who works at home a bad reputation.

Certainly in my previous company, they went all Draconian, and demanded nobody ever did home working, all because a few took the piss.  And I know Mrs TB's place, although the company in general allow it, her department explicitly forbids it.  Probably because everybody thinks its OK to do school runs, child mind, walk the dog, do the decorating and so on.

Hence, I do get sensitive over it.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17830 on: 03 February 2019, 18:08:27 »

Not working whilst 'at work' is effectively theft by way of defrauding your employer :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

nellys coupe

• buckinghamshire
    • hyundai coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17831 on: 03 February 2019, 19:34:51 »

got the new bumper for my a4 and strarted to build it up and adjust the bonnet to bumper gaps :)
coupe rebuild master

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17832 on: 04 February 2019, 00:55:45 »

Not working whilst 'at work' is effectively theft by way of defrauding your employer :-X

Hmmm I regularly defraud myself then in that case.  :-\  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #17833 on: 04 February 2019, 09:09:44 »

Don't worry, it doesn't show :P

Regarding Tunnie getting a haircut - remember that his employer has an on site barber, so they positively encourage people to get their hair cut during work hours. ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17834 on: 04 February 2019, 09:48:40 »

Don't worry, it doesn't show :P

Regarding Tunnie getting a haircut - remember that his employer has an on site barber, so they positively encourage people to get their hair cut during work hours. ;)
That's just a front to allow uncle Rupert to collect their DNA. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.