Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: bugger  (Read 11171 times)

05omegav6

Re: bugger
« Reply #60 on: 04 February 2016, 23:02:51 »

Just take the money & buy sumat else  ;) ;) You also have to consider that insurance compnies don't like to insure write offs
That's scaremongering pure and simple... Never had an issue insuring mine.

It can be fixed to usuable condition with minimal fuss...

Is it? That's the first thing 'my' body shop said when I first enquired about SWMBO's Astra and the possibilties of repairing it after it was clobbered up the harris .... and he'd have got the work if it was going back on the road. As soon as it was assessed & declared written off, the insurance company at the time said they were suspending its insurance as they couldn't continue to insure it. The boot floor is bent .... is it really worth it?

Couldn't or wouldn't ??  When Chris's clit was written off her Insurers refused to insure it .. transpired this is simply because they have a policy NOT to insure cat c/d cars at all. I had a new (to us) door put on and a new plastic wing, both resprayed by a proper bodyshop for 1/2 the cost of the insurers repairers estimate, and 2/3 rds of the amount they gave her. Car is now happily on the road and insured through Adrian Flux .. cat C and never had a VIC check  - and now doesn't need one so thats around £100 saved .. :)
Had one policy down graded to Third party only cover pending a fresh Mot, not exactly unreasonable imho :-\

Should add, that was a.taxi policy with £3,000,000 public liability clause, so understandable behaviour under the circumstances ;)
« Last Edit: 04 February 2016, 23:05:38 by Harris K Telemacher »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 05 February 2016, 06:01:36 »

He did go underneath but he couldn't tell what state the boot floor was in because you cant open the lid.

05omegav6

« Reply #62 on: 05 February 2016, 06:08:20 »

He did go underneath but he couldn't tell what state the boot floor was in because you cant open the lid.
Then it hasn't been fully assessed, although this is a moot point for the reason I outlined above... It was written off before he finished reading his appointment list... Turning up and actually looking at it is purely to make the customer, ie you, feel like the insurers are doing summat :-X

Are you around on Monday at all?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 05 February 2016, 06:44:30 »

Mon - Fri in Coventry until April at least.

05omegav6

« Reply #64 on: 05 February 2016, 06:46:25 »

Mon - Fri in Coventry until April at least.
Fair dos... Shifts just hit weekends again...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08 February 2016, 12:33:32 »

Confirmed by the assessor as CAT C.  Offered 825 for it which was higher than I was expecting. So, options are:

- give it to them and use the cash toward another car.
- buy it back for 99 quid and scrap it.
- keep it, fix it, pocket the difference knowing that I could have insurance issues in the future. Current insurer is ok with it.

I didn't have the opportunity to get inside and check the boot floor. Hoping to get that done this week. It would be a pity to scrap as the engine is superb for a 2.5, it pulls like a 3.0.  The other issues are just maintenance or cosmetic.

:-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 08 February 2016, 13:03:59 »

Confirmed by the assessor as CAT C.  Offered 825 for it which was higher than I was expecting. So, options are:

- keep it, fix it, pocket the difference knowing that I could have insurance issues in the future. Current insurer is ok with it.

I didn't have the opportunity to get inside and check the boot floor. Hoping to get that done this week. It would be a pity to scrap as the engine is superb for a 2.5, it pulls like a 3.0.  The other issues are just maintenance or cosmetic.

Your second option is a waste of time.

Fixing it will depend on what you need to do to make the tailgate shut properly; if that requires any pulling then it is also a waste of time

05omegav6

« Reply #67 on: 08 February 2016, 14:24:07 »

Your second option is a waste of time.

Fixing it will depend on what you need to do to make the tailgate shut properly; if that requires any pulling then it is also a waste of time
Difficult to say without actually seeing it, and that also involves getting the tailgate open...

But does raise an alternative option...

Adjust whatever requires adjusting to make the tailgate useable again, then run it as a beater until the MoT or car expire, whichever happens first... and if you go down the replacement route, I could possibly be persuaded to part with my black estate*...

*obviously subject to numbers ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 08 February 2016, 18:19:04 »

Seen a 2002 525 going cheap with what looks like a misfire ::)

Nice Wagon IF its a cheap fix like a coil,but if its something simple why hasn't the owner fixed it to make more money ??? ::)

He thinks that an occasional misfire and an EML is a blown HG  ::)
Or a cracked head. Not entirely uncommon on those straight 6 beemer engines if they've got a little warm.

Look at it under the knowledge that a quick easy fix would have been done by him or his garage ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 08 February 2016, 18:21:31 »

A few insurance underwriters won't touch Cat C/Ds, in the same way that some won't insure *anything* with modifications. This does cut down your choices, but its a competitive market, with lots of players ;)
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 09 February 2016, 15:13:06 »

Right, Ihave decided to keep the miggy for now and to repair it.  I may change it soon depending on a few factors.  So time to get the parts in :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 09 February 2016, 16:16:24 »

Right, Ihave decided to keep the miggy for now and to repair it.  I may change it soon depending on a few factors.  So time to get the parts in :y

You know it makes sense ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

05omegav6

« Reply #72 on: 09 February 2016, 16:34:35 »

Indeed it does...

Tailgate, bumper and potentially the rear crash bar here (I think I have an unmangled one ::)) ...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 February 2016, 18:39:34 »

Indeed it does...

Tailgate, bumper and potentially the rear crash bar here (I think I have an unmangled one ::)) ...

That's great, thanks :y

However, Ihave a conundrum.  Parts need painting prior to fitting, parts are near Crawley.  I cannot fit parts until I remove boot lid and inspect the damage on the boot floor by the bottom of the boot lid.  Once I remove boot lid, boot will no longer close.

So, how can I be sure that the boot floor is ok without removing the boot lid.  Can I tie it closed again?  If so I will kick the firker out :)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 09 February 2016, 19:05:25 »

Confirmed by the assessor as CAT C.  Offered 825 for it which was higher than I was expecting.

doesn't sound bad, for future reference can you let us know more about the car eg mileage, year, condition, spec? thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.