Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrrggghhh......busted  (Read 7550 times)

STEMO

Arrrggghhh......busted
« on: 22 January 2016, 12:39:16 »

We picked up the new car at 9:30 on Saturday 16th. Wifey has just received a NIP for speeding at 10:47 on Halifax road in Sheffield.  Fickin 17 minutes we'd had it!

Now the bit you'll like....I was driving  ;D

36 in a 30......hardly Lewis Hamilton. I could do a DBG type rant, but it was my fault (for not seeing the camera) and a day out on a course will be quite restful and, of course, educational.  :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Arrrggghhh......busted
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2016, 12:43:31 »

Were you traced through your skid marks? ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2016, 12:45:58 »

We picked up the new car at 9:30 on Saturday 16th. Wifey has just received a NIP for speeding at 10:47 on Halifax road in Sheffield.  Fickin 17 minutes we'd had it!

36 in a 30......hardly Lewis Hamilton. I could do a DBG type rant, but it was my fault (for not seeing the camera) and a day out on a course will be quite restful and, of course, educational.  :)

....and expensive. :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2016, 12:46:13 »

I have no idea what you're talking about  ::)  ;D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2016, 12:47:57 »

A whole day out....on my own.....priceless.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2016, 12:50:43 »

Never mind , as you say educational did one a few years back when I got done in our Subaru saw the van but braked too late, think it cost £60 but no points .

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2016, 13:04:41 »

I guess they were hanging on the line clean by the time they checked  ;D
Omegatitis

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2016, 13:07:37 »

You can talk  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2016, 13:08:04 »

Easily done when you're not used to the raw power of a Renault Captur!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2016, 13:09:08 »

Yes....I was doing 36 before I even got to 5th gear. Lightning fast.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2016, 13:09:16 »

900 cc's worth aren't they  ::) ::)

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2016, 13:10:08 »

Some of them are.....some of the aren't.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2016, 13:14:30 »

Are they? S-in-L has one, that and the Renault badge on the front and back is enough to put me off  ::) ::) ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2016, 13:14:48 »

Not true...   you were done for driving too fast .. not for lack of observation ...

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2016, 13:16:06 »

Not true...   you were done for driving too fast .. not for lack of observation ...
Yes, Nige, but it was a little jok........oh......it's you........never mind.

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2016, 13:19:56 »

Are they? S-in-L has one, that and the Renault badge on the front and back is enough to put me off  ::) ::) ;D
Yeah....better watch out it doesn't need a new inner tube.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2016, 13:29:20 »

Yeah....better watch out it doesn't need a new inner tube.  ;D

;D ;D ;D touche  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2016, 13:37:38 »

8)
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2016, 13:44:45 »

You can talk  ;D

I am yet to soil a bed, despite of my medical condition.

Come close a few times ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2016, 13:53:49 »

On the contrary, as when I did the course it was ten pounds cheaper than the fine. Sooo, with no points and saving a tenner it was a no brainer.   ;) :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2016, 14:50:19 »

I did the same thing when testing the Omega before purchase back in 2002 - missed a camera notice on A4 at Thatcham and a few months later they traced me via the dealer. If I had not bought the car I would have got away with it because they took no details and let me out with car on my own
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2016, 17:06:25 »

Average cost these days is about £110

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2016, 18:07:35 »

Mine was £82 for the course a couple of years ago, £7 more than the fine and tied it in with a trip to Nigel Langs....not the cheapest day out  ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2016, 18:37:34 »

Mine was £82 for the course a couple of years ago, £7 more than the fine and tied it in with a trip to Nigel Langs....not the cheapest day out  ;D
Bet the trip home was frustrating :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 January 2016, 18:38:17 »

Mine was £90 for the course and the fine had just gone up to £100, so good timing on my part.  ::) ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 January 2016, 18:41:53 »

Bet the trip home was frustrating :D

Yeah you could say that  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 January 2016, 11:55:38 »

I paid the £70.

I've been driving for almost 40 years and object to some girlie telling me how to drive.

.......and no I wasn't sorry for my 'dangerous' driving.......a full 39 mph in a 30 limit.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 January 2016, 19:22:01 »

I paid the £70.

I've been driving for almost 40 years and object to some girlie telling me how to drive.

.......and no I wasn't sorry for my 'dangerous' driving.......a full 39 mph in a 30 limit.

On the one I did in Bolton it was two Advanced driving instructors that made the course interesting and entertaining and I learnt some things  :y

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2016, 19:25:15 »

Well I hope they do Saturdays or it's three points for me.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2016, 19:28:59 »

Go on the website and it`ll tell you all the available venues and days, pretty sure Saturdays are covered.

STEMO

« Reply #30 on: 23 January 2016, 19:31:04 »

Go on the website and it`ll tell you all the available venues and days, pretty sure Saturdays are covered.
It'll be a while, yet, Gav, haven't even sent the form back to say I was driving yet. It came in the wife's name as the car is registered to her. At least I know the dealer sent the V5 off pretty quick.

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 24 January 2016, 05:39:31 »

It'll be a while, yet, Gav, haven't even sent the form back to say I was driving yet. It came in the wife's name as the car is registered to her. At least I know the dealer sent the V5 off pretty quick.
Probably done online :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 January 2016, 15:17:04 »

Whoaaaa. If the letter/NIP is addressed to your wife and it was you driving, then SHE must fill it in nominating you as the driver. The rozzers will then send YOU your own NIP with your name on it. You cannot use her form to claim you were driving.

She has 28 days to respond and supply all the requested information - in this case by nominating the driver (i.e. You). Normal Pepipoo advice is to wait until about day 25 to respond. Take it to a Post Office, pay for a 1st class stamp, and get proof of posting and keep it. Do not miss the 28 day deadline.

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 24 January 2016, 16:08:07 »

Whoaaaa. If the letter/NIP is addressed to your wife and it was you driving, then SHE must fill it in nominating you as the driver. The rozzers will then send YOU your own NIP with your name on it. You cannot use her form to claim you were driving.

She has 28 days to respond and supply all the requested information - in this case by nominating the driver (i.e. You). Normal Pepipoo advice is to wait until about day 25 to respond. Take it to a Post Office, pay for a 1st class stamp, and get proof of posting and keep it. Do not miss the 28 day deadline.
Yes...I know all that, but thanks anyway. ::) Mine, sorry, the wife's, form will be posted tomorrow by me. Why wait 25 days to send it off? It's a poxy course that's got to be done no matter when you send the letter back.

Never heard of pepicrap though  ;D
« Last Edit: 24 January 2016, 16:12:11 by STEMO »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 January 2016, 16:37:02 »

Yes...I know all that, but thanks anyway. ::) Mine, sorry, the wife's, form will be posted tomorrow by me. Why wait 25 days to send it off? It's a poxy course that's got to be done no matter when you send the letter back.

You wait 25 days because the rozzers have several time deadlines that they have to meet in order to be able to successfully prosecute you.

The first deadline is that they have to serve the NIP on the registered keeper (RK) within 14 days of the date of the offense. They get the RK details from DVLA. However, where there has been a recent change of keeper things can get tricky. They might have served the notice on the previous owner, or the dealer. In either case, the dealer/previous owner would have nominated your wife, and then the rozzers wrote to her.  Or if the DVLA details had been updated promptly, then your wife may have the first to receive a NIP.

So basically, what was the date of the offense, what is the date on the NIP, and on what date did she receive the NIP? Also what sort of postage was on the envelope - 1st class?

The next deadline is that papers have to be laid before the courts within 6 months of the date of an offense for a crime to be tried by magistrates. So suppose they issued  NIP #1 to the original owner (2 weeks) who replied promptly (1 week) saying I sold the car to "Arfur Daley Motors inc". The scamera pratnership take a week to send NIP #2 to "Arfur Daley Motors inc", who promptly reply (1 week) nominating your wife. So we're now 5 weeks into the 6 months (26 weeks).

The scamera pratnership take a week to send a NIP #3 to your wife. Your wife then has 4 weeks to reply which she takes. So we're now 10 weeks in.

The scamera pratnership take a week to send a NIP #4 to you. You then have 4 weeks to reply grassing yourself up, which you take. So we're now 15 weeks in.

The scamera pratnership take a week to send a CoFP/Course to you. You then have 4 weeks to reply, which you take. So we're now 20 weeks in.

There are an awful lot of ifs and buts, but by doing the above you are giving the scamera pratnership every opportunity to screw up. It only take a week or too here and there for them to run out of time to lay the papers - and you are doing nothing wrong.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2016, 16:39:10 by LC0112G »

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 24 January 2016, 17:22:56 »

Right....that's good...if you want to try and dodge the penalty. I don't.  :)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 January 2016, 17:29:14 »

You mean if you want the authorities to comply with the laws that they are claiming you broke?

There is no guarantee that you will be offered a course (though I suspect you will be). And you will be using your "get out of jail free" card which can't be used again for (IIRC) another three years. However, if you're determined to plead guilty to a criminal charge for which you may not be guilty, then go right ahead.

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 24 January 2016, 17:30:45 »

You mean if you want the authorities to comply with the laws that they are claiming you broke?

There is no guarantee that you will be offered a course (though I suspect you will be). And you will be using your "get out of jail free" card which can't be used again for (IIRC) another three years. However, if you're determined to plead guilty to a criminal charge for which you may not be guilty, then go right ahead.
I broke the speed limit.......no ifs or buts.

And I posted the letter today.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 January 2016, 17:38:57 »

The law states that to be guilty of the offense you have to have broken the speed limit, AND be served a NIP within time, AND a multitude of other things. If you're happy to be convicted on the basis of meeting just one of the criteria, then OK.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 January 2016, 18:00:26 »

Fair play Esty... Seems those of us that are willing to say "Yup, I did it" are getting few and far between  ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 January 2016, 18:05:59 »

I'm with LD and Stemo himself on this.He's broken the law[speeding],he's been caught doing so and he's man enough to own up,admit it and take the punishment.fair play to him :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 January 2016, 18:15:12 »

Yep fair play to Uncle STEMO!  :y

Personally I'd be looking at all the loopholes and ways to wriggle out of it, but then I'm not as manly as STEMO!  :P  :-*  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 24 January 2016, 18:16:39 »

Personally I'd be looking at all the loopholes and ways to wriggle out of it, but then I'm not as manly as STEMO!  :P  :-*  ;D
No. You can't even evict a pissed-up girlie. ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #43 on: 24 January 2016, 18:19:52 »

Won't need to if she goes to prison ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2016, 18:20:55 »

Like your good self Uncle STEMO, I respect the law of the land!  :y

STEMO

« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2016, 18:21:36 »

Won't need to if she goes to prison ::)
Oh yes he will. Even if it's just on paper, without the physical kick up the arse.

STEMO

« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2016, 18:23:05 »

And even then, she could fight it if she chose to.

05omegav6

« Reply #47 on: 24 January 2016, 18:34:59 »

Paying the rent with no income could be Interesting fun...

If Sir Tigger is game...

STEMO

« Reply #48 on: 24 January 2016, 18:40:55 »

If Sir Tigger is game...
It's just not that simple....people have rights.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 January 2016, 18:51:39 »

I don't think it will come to court action to be honest.  Well hopefully not anyway... ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 January 2016, 19:55:41 »

If Sir Tigger is game...

A right not to be mown down by pi$$ed up stupid tarts behind the wheel, for a start. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 24 January 2016, 20:17:58 »

If Sir Tigger is game...
That's not quite what I meant ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 January 2016, 20:22:55 »

If Sir Tigger is game...

A right not to be mown down by pi$$ed up stupid tarts behind the wheel, for a start. ::)

I think you'll find that morons have the right to behave like oppswits all the time. Keeping out of their way is entirely your responsibility.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #54 on: 24 January 2016, 22:15:50 »

You wait 25 days because the rozzers have several time deadlines that they have to meet in order to be able to successfully prosecute you.

The first deadline is that they have to serve the NIP on the registered keeper (RK) within 14 days of the date of the offense. They get the RK details from DVLA. However, where there has been a recent change of keeper things can get tricky. They might have served the notice on the previous owner, or the dealer. In either case, the dealer/previous owner would have nominated your wife, and then the rozzers wrote to her.  Or if the DVLA details had been updated promptly, then your wife may have the first to receive a NIP.

So basically, what was the date of the offense, what is the date on the NIP, and on what date did she receive the NIP? Also what sort of postage was on the envelope - 1st class?

The next deadline is that papers have to be laid before the courts within 6 months of the date of an offense for a crime to be tried by magistrates. So suppose they issued  NIP #1 to the original owner (2 weeks) who replied promptly (1 week) saying I sold the car to "Arfur Daley Motors inc". The scamera pratnership take a week to send NIP #2 to "Arfur Daley Motors inc", who promptly reply (1 week) nominating your wife. So we're now 5 weeks into the 6 months (26 weeks).

The scamera pratnership take a week to send a NIP #3 to your wife. Your wife then has 4 weeks to reply which she takes. So we're now 10 weeks in.

The scamera pratnership take a week to send a NIP #4 to you. You then have 4 weeks to reply grassing yourself up, which you take. So we're now 15 weeks in.

The scamera pratnership take a week to send a CoFP/Course to you. You then have 4 weeks to reply, which you take. So we're now 20 weeks in.

There are an awful lot of ifs and buts, but by doing the above you are giving the scamera pratnership every opportunity to screw up. It only take a week or too here and there for them to run out of time to lay the papers - and you are doing nothing wrong.

Its good, but there is a glaring hole in your case for the defence  ??? ??? ???

One which I'll keep to myself and have used many a time when this happens  ;) ;) :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: 24 January 2016, 22:17:46 by Jasonm »

05omegav6

« Reply #55 on: 24 January 2016, 23:56:02 »

Failure to notify or being deliberately obstructive could see both the registered keeper and driver getting points regardless.

Notwithstanding that the mere issuing of the NIP constitutes notification... ie they are automatically generated and posted ::) The onus is on the receiver to prove that they never received it.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 25 January 2016, 01:42:09 »

Failure to notify or being deliberately obstructive could see both the registered keeper and driver getting points regardless.

I fully agree. However the law allows you 28 days to respond to a postal NIP/S172, so taking 25 days to comply cannot be construed as obstructive. I suspect what Jason is being coy about is a verbal S172 where you don't get 28 days - and you might not even get 28 minutes to respond.

Notwithstanding that the mere issuing of the NIP constitutes notification... ie they are automatically generated and posted ::) The onus is on the receiver to prove that they never received it.
Not strictly true - it's called a rebuttal presumption but I agree the effect is that you have to have some pretty good evidence as to why it never arrived (in time).

As for automatically generated - well someone is supposed to review the photos and not just issue NIP's willy-nilly  ::). And someone has to enter the details from the NIP responses so that new NIP's are issued to the nominated person.  There is no requirement to use the form they supply, [Jones v DPP [2004] EWHC 236 (Admin), CO/5123/2003 May L J.. Nelson J.] so someone might have to read the multi-page letter supplying all the information requested by the chief of police. ::)

However, I doubt it's a good idea to pi55 of the SCP and mark yourself as a trouble maker if you're hoping for a timeout.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #57 on: 25 January 2016, 10:16:07 »

I fully agree. However the law allows you 28 days to respond to a postal NIP/S172, so taking 25 days to comply cannot be construed as obstructive. I suspect what Jason is being coy about is a verbal S172 where you don't get 28 days - and you might not even get 28 minutes to respond.

Not strictly true - it's called a rebuttal presumption but I agree the effect is that you have to have some pretty good evidence as to why it never arrived (in time).

As for automatically generated - well someone is supposed to review the photos and not just issue NIP's willy-nilly  ::). And someone has to enter the details from the NIP responses so that new NIP's are issued to the nominated person.  There is no requirement to use the form they supply, [Jones v DPP [2004] EWHC 236 (Admin), CO/5123/2003 May L J.. Nelson J.] so someone might have to read the multi-page letter supplying all the information requested by the chief of police. ::)

However, I doubt it's a good idea to pi55 of the SCP and mark yourself as a trouble maker if you're hoping for a timeout.

Nope not what I was on about at all. Thing I'm on about is more common sense approach than anything. I've done people for speeding on several occasions well after 6 months have gone by. The last one was 13 months.

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 25 January 2016, 11:03:06 »

Nope not what I was on about at all. Thing I'm on about is more common sense approach than anything. I've done people for speeding on several occasions well after 6 months have gone by. The last one was 13 months.

It took you that long to find a working BMW to catch up with them?  :P

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 January 2016, 12:27:13 »

Nope... Took him that long to grab the Volvo keys ::) :D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #60 on: 25 January 2016, 16:57:27 »

I'm saying nowt  :-X :-X :-X My favoured BMW at the mo IS behaving itself after being off road for 3 months having the rear suspension rebuilt and major engine work done.  ::) ::) ::)

STEMO

« Reply #61 on: 03 February 2016, 14:56:13 »

Course booked for Sat 23rd March (Easter Saturday), 9 till 1. A whole Saturday mornings entertainment for the reasonable price of £95.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 03 February 2016, 15:17:51 »

Course booked for Sat 23rd March (Easter Saturday), 9 till 1. A whole Saturday mornings entertainment for the reasonable price of £95.  ;D

That'll teach you not to be a naughty boy in future. ;)

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #63 on: 03 February 2016, 16:02:42 »

Bloody hell mate!  :o That's cheap, especially for a weekend day.

STEMO

« Reply #64 on: 03 February 2016, 16:32:54 »

Bloody hell mate!  :o That's cheap, especially for a weekend day.
This is Yorkshire, we like a bargain. ;D

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #65 on: 03 February 2016, 16:38:38 »

Just looked at our website, at Cheshire they are £85  :P :P :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03 February 2016, 17:21:00 »

Just looked at our website, at Cheshire they are £85  :P :P :P

They are/were in Lancashire too ... apparently!   ::) ::)

STEMO

« Reply #67 on: 03 February 2016, 17:45:45 »

It does say that prices vary from £85-£105, depending on location and provider.

05omegav6

« Reply #68 on: 03 February 2016, 18:24:38 »

Still cheaper than taking the family to the cinema ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.