Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: so called battery drain  (Read 1186 times)

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
so called battery drain
« on: 12 August 2020, 12:06:52 »

hi bought new battery in jan from halfords a good one,new alternator last oct new starter motor in march.never had any problems in starting till aug 1st batttery flat after parking couple of days first time couldnt start it flat a s a pancake.greenflag come started car with the booster he had to re code the the key then wouldnt fire as immobliser blocking it he cracked it good as gold ,he said maybe duff battery. 6months old eh! done 300 miles last week left it over weekend same thing again wouldnt start but key ok.rac come new battery fitted he said theres a little drain but didnt know what was doing it.so took old battery back to halfords they charged it up today and said its fine i said its fine when its charged up like any other battery but loses its charge when left for 2 to 3 days they wont refund my money for a shit battery in my opinion.maybe im wrong

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: so called battery drain
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2020, 13:06:51 »

Does it self discharge if left disconnected?
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2020, 13:15:46 »

Havent you asked about the same issue previously?
Whilst the Omega is notorious for battery drain whilst not being used regularly, a battery should still be ok to start the car after a month at least (mine are anyway). Rather than condemning the battery straight away, if you haven't the facilities to check it yourself, I would initially get an auto electrician check the basics like the amount of drain from the battery whilst the engine is not running, and that no auxilaries are causing the loss of battery power whilst standing.
I would also get an independent drop test on the battery rather than from Halfords (which could be done by the auto electrician at the same time), which would confirm if the problem actually lies with the battery or not, and then you can look further into the charging system, and / or any other causes of the unusually high power drain.
As with most jobs, if you are unable, or don't have the equipment to do them yourself, you will save money in the long run getting a reputable person to do these checks for you, rather than 'asking the woman next door sons mother in law, who works somewhere that the cleaners mate knows someone who messes about with cars'.
A power drain on an Omega is common, but not as you describe, so pinpointing the actual problem, I would suggest, requires someone at the actual car with the testing ability rather than stabbing about in the dark with possible suggestions of causes that you may or may not be able to check yourself!
I don't want to sound blunt, but that is your best option and will be cheaper in the long run.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2020, 13:39:44 »

Once killed, batteries rarely recover. All driving 300 miles did was confirm that the alternator works...

Run through Kevin Woods excellent guide, then check the residual draw from the primary fuses on top of the battery. If identified, follow the affected circuit to identify the drain.

Aftermarket radio and failed consumer relay are primary candidates, but leaving a phone charger or idiot box plugged in will kill it fairly quickly...
Onanists always think outside the box.

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2020, 16:06:48 »

thanx for your reply johnny dog had my omega for 15 years mate had every job you can thing done on it .im not an idiot.this is the first time in 15n years ive had this problem.thats why im asking on the website pal.ta

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2020, 16:59:05 »

No ones suggesting you're an idiot. You posted asking for people's thoughts on the cars problem, and seeing as you weren't getting very far in resolving it, I merely suggested one option to try to solve it. If you knew the best way to solve it, then you wouldn't have needed to ask for suggestions.
Hope you get to the bottom of it doing it the best way you see fit.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

john1959

• birmingham
    • omega 3.2 elite black
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2020, 17:31:10 »

thanx johnnydog.
regards :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2020, 17:55:08 »

So, again, firstly check what happens if you disconnect the battery. If the battery still discharges, its knackered, and you KNOW you have a drain.

Then its a case of measuring the current up to 20 mins after you turn off (consumer relay on Omega is about 10mins), and pulling fuses to identify culprit.

Likely culprits are:
Power sounder if still fitted (unplug it to test, not fused)
Consumer relay
Aftermarket fittings done badly - radios, chargers, satnavs, dash cams etc
Stuck relay, such as HRW.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.